20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 97.
#4501 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Most important, looks like the kids are happy with the new addition!

He’s stoked. Harrison was the one hitting the bid button during the auction.
My wife and I were telling him when to bid. I took over bidding once it got to the five figure mark.
Oddly enough my wife was the one who pushed me to bid that high because she knew I really wanted it and if I didn’t get this one I would probably not get a chance to buy another.
My son was asking pretty much every day when it was going to arrive.
Pretty cool and for sure one of my top five black and whites in my collection.

#4502 2 years ago

Nice way to involve the Kids and Mama!

#4503 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

He’s stoked. Harrison was the one hitting the bid button during the auction.
My wife and I were telling him when to bid. I took over bidding once it got to the five figure mark.
Oddly enough my wife was the one who pushed me to bid that high because she knew I really wanted it and if I didn’t get this one I would probably not get a chance to buy another.
My son was asking pretty much every day when it was going to arrive.
Pretty cool and for sure one of my top five black and whites in my collection.

Great story and family decision. When you stop analizing pinball as fair market or wise purchase and see it as what will bring you and your family enjoyment together you made the right choice. One persons rathional is anothers objection. Hope you and your family enjoy that great new game!

#4504 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Great story and family decision. When you stop analizing pinball as fair market or wise purchase and see it as what will bring you and your family enjoyment together you made the right choice. One persons rathional is anothers objection. Hope you and your family enjoy that great new game!

It appears that "analizing" is not actually a word, however whether it was intentional or not it seems to fit right into this sentence perfectly. So I am sending it in to Merriam Webster with a request to make it official, because I love this word!

Today, you have won the internet.

#4505 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I overpaid for a machine and I’m thrilled with it.

Looks like you have a great collection! Overpaid is relative to your own situation - whether you can afford it, what the value of your time is, the value of what sounds like an all in family endeavor/experience, filling in the "missing link" to round out your collection - sounds to me like you didn't "overpay", you got a hell of a deal!

#4506 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I think auctions just tend to bring out idiots. There was a local auction here selling a dozen or so pinball games, I made a few offers that I thought were reasonable. Well all of my offers were significantly beat. For example, a beat to crap Xenon with a worn cabinet and playfield, and unknown working condition (they would not allow me to plug in any games to test), went for almost $3k

Right now the market for everything is stupid high...homes cars boats and pinball

FRIDAY there is an auction just down the road from me and there are 2 pins shown F-14 and an EM. I might go just to see condition and selling price.

Correction it is FRIDAY the 15th

#4507 2 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Right now the market for everything is stupid high...homes cars boats and pinball
Saturday there is an auction just down the road from me and there are 2 pins shown F-14 and an EM. I might go just to see condition and selling price.

The real outrage is the shortage of brownie bites and cheesecake bites at Yogurtland. If only someone could sell me these toppings at markup.

#4508 2 years ago

Some folks can afford to pay a lot more than the going rate, and may think they're going to get a game that's already been super-shopped and remain up for a much longer period than a cheaper game bought elsewhere. I don't necessarily agree with that approach but personally see nothing wrong with it. Most of us have things in our lives we're willing to splurge on, so what's the big deal if it happens to be arcade games? More power to em!!!

#4509 2 years ago

My friend scored Cosmotrons, we cleaned it up tuesday night, and got some 4 player games in.
Just an amazing modern retro game.

20211012_221336 (resized).jpg20211012_221336 (resized).jpg20211012_221056 (resized).jpg20211012_221056 (resized).jpg20211012_221047 (resized).jpg20211012_221047 (resized).jpg
#4510 2 years ago

I am patiently waiting to see if the market is flooded with machines - from a few of the vendors who were buying. Still more than one that I am sorry I couldn't get my hands on.

#4511 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

My friend scored Cosmotrons, we cleaned it up tuesday night, and got some 4 player games in.
Just an amazing modern retro game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I played one of those at CAX a few years ago.
Neat machine!

#4512 2 years ago

I just got an email notice from Capt's auction warehouse
stating that they were going to auction off more games from John Weeks private collection and the MOP collection.
Did they find more games or are these games that were auctioned off previously but never paid for?!?
It appears that this auction may be in Orange county?

https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/84

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4513 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

stating that they were going to auction off more games from John Weeks private collection and the MOP collection.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4514 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Did they find more games or are these games that were auctioned off previously but never paid for?!?
[quoted image]

Or a bunch of buybacks, They shill bid on and got stuck with them..

#4515 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

[quoted image]

It's been known all along that there was a ton of stuff not in the first auction. The guy has lots of his own stuff and containers and containers worth of stuff in storage.

#4516 2 years ago

There were only a handful of games that were not payed for.
The Joust video game that sold for $5000, was not finalized. That's the only one I know of.
The rest of the stuff is new, from storage or Johns private stuff.

Someone from Arizona ended up with 3 or 4 trailer trucks of games. So a lot of the collection actually stayed somewhat local.

#4517 2 years ago

I was wondering why the MoP's really nice Sonic Butterfly wasn't in the auction. I just noticed it's in the catalog for the one in November.

#4518 2 years ago

They had been out of floor space the last several years, maybe it got pulled from the floor to make space???

#4519 2 years ago

It’s also possible they kept a few for personal collection

#4520 2 years ago

I'm really curious to see what comes up in the future auctions.
I know theres a lot of project and duplicate games etc. in multiple storage locations.
Everything from nice machines, projects, parts machines and anywhere in between.
I've only ever been to a couple of those buildings, but it was pretty impressive.
Crossing my fingers theres a few of the black and white arcade games hidden in the trove that are on my short list.

#4521 2 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

I was wondering why the MoP's really nice Sonic Butterfly wasn't in the auction. I just noticed it's in the catalog for the one in November.

Yes -- I remember playing that one, favorably. And I remain curious about some pins I never saw on the floor, across many MoP visits, but which others apparently have seen at some point. As to the other speculations about shill bidding / buybacks, we'll just have to compare this latest catalog (when it materializes) against the previous ones, to see if that offers any clues.

#4522 2 years ago

Just got Paradise set up and working.
My friend and I went halfs on it.
One more rescued from Banning.

Dancing Girls!!

20211016_143911 (resized).jpg20211016_143911 (resized).jpg20211016_144652 (resized).jpg20211016_144652 (resized).jpg20211016_144702 (resized).jpg20211016_144702 (resized).jpg20211016_143842 (resized).jpg20211016_143842 (resized).jpg20211016_144657 (resized).jpg20211016_144657 (resized).jpg20211016_143858 (resized).jpg20211016_143858 (resized).jpg20211016_143823 (resized).jpg20211016_143823 (resized).jpg

20211016_143833 (resized).jpg20211016_143833 (resized).jpg
#4523 2 years ago

Wow nice grab. Looks like it in great condition. Most of the pins at Banning were routed so this is a good find

#4524 2 years ago

The coin play counter says 48,052 total plays.
She's been around, someone repainted her and chromed it. New parts too.
Overall great shape for a 1965 girl.

#4525 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

The coin play counter says 48,052 total plays.
She's been around, someone repainted her and chromed it. New parts too.
Overall great shape for a 1965 girl.

That one was on my list..
Nice to see it in New home.

#4526 2 years ago

I want to play your Monte Carlo em racing game, Ralph had one at Noah's when I was a real little kid. 1978 perhaps.

#4527 2 years ago

Harbor Freight lift table works as a plain old table also!

20211016_202637 (resized).jpg20211016_202637 (resized).jpg
#4528 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Harbor Freight lift table works as a plain old table also!
[quoted image]

After it's a few years old, it automatically drops to the down position overnight....

#4529 2 years ago

Drunky is getting worse......

20211016_214831 (resized).jpg20211016_214831 (resized).jpg
#4530 2 years ago

Is this turning into the HF White Claw thread?

#4531 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Dancing Girls!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yes, surprisingly good condition.
Are those "scoring-drain-holes-of-no-return", a la Slick Chick ? (Can't recall the proper nomenclature.)

NV once assured me that there was in fact a cradling technique for earlier EMS with those tiny flippers, and who am I to question his authority on such things . . . ? But, you, know, I'd just have to see a demo on that before I'm convinced.

#4532 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Are those "scoring-drain-holes-of-no-return", a la Slick Chick ? (Can't recall the proper nomenclature.)
NV once assured me that there was in fact a cradling technique for earlier EMS with those tiny flippers, and who am I to question his authority on such things . . . ? But, you, know, I'd just have to see a demo on that before I'm convinced.

The word is "Gobble-hole(s)".

#4533 2 years ago

5MIL didn’t cover the losses? Hmmm. Good insight to what happened at the auction tho

#4534 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I need to get my only gobble hole game, 1961 Skill Ball, which was Williams' first add-a-ball, spiffed up for Thanksgiving! One relay likes to stick, maybe I'll figure that out too.

Gobble? Thanksgiving? Huh? Huh?

I can't say whether all gobble hole games are this way, but on Skill Ball, there are times you WANT to lose your ball down one of them suckers.

#4535 2 years ago

They couldnt even put the bumper cap on Rocky

image_2021-10-17_113531.pngimage_2021-10-17_113531.png

#4536 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Dancing Girls!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

She definitely went to the right home.

#4537 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

They couldnt even put the bumper cap on Rocky
[quoted image]

That’s pretty common with those style of pop bumper caps.
It’s just a poor design where they snap into place with a few plastic tabs and it’s very common for those to break or come loose.

#4538 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

That’s pretty common with those style of pop bumper caps.
It’s just a poor design where they snap into place with a few plastic tabs and it’s very common for those to break or come loose.

True, but they could have at least put it in the slot over the bulb. Which games at this new round of Captain's are from the museum? Is this where the projects are getting auctioned off? Need to know which ones to avoid

Quoted from pinwiztom:

[quoted image]

This auction is at their warehouse in Anaheim, CA like their normal auctions.

#4539 2 years ago

Yeah but when you’re selling it, you think you would take the effort to correct something like that. But what what do I know, that thing sold for over $10K with that as is

#4540 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Yeah but when you’re selling it, you think you would take the effort to correct something like that. But what what do I know, that thing sold for over $10K with that as is

Well, in order to fix it you first need to know that it came loose.
It can’t have been loose like that for very long, otherwise the vibration from the pop bumper would have rattled it onto the play field. I would say it probably happened in the last game or two that was played otherwise it wouldn’t be sitting there like that. If no one brings it to someone’s attention, then yeah it’s going to sit like that until someone with keys to the machine notices it and puts it back on. I don’t see what the big issue is.

#4541 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Right. Thanks, have to remember that in future. Was it a common design feature in that era, or just a brief one that didn't really catch on ? I'm thinking players would not have been real fond of it.

#4542 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I'm really curious to see what comes up in the future auctions.
I know theres a lot of project and duplicate games etc. in multiple storage locations.
Everything from nice machines, projects, parts machines and anywhere in between.
I've only ever been to a couple of those buildings, but it was pretty impressive.
Crossing my fingers theres a few of the black and white arcade games hidden in the trove that are on my short list.

That Nov. CAW catalog appears to still be in process and minus a lot of the photos, but -- so far, and filtering your search for "pinball" only -- the catalog only shows one page plus another very short one with very few titles. What I see there seems to have a bit of overlap with the tail end of Auction Weekend 2. If we can assume that MoP had only one Alien and one Stranger Things Ltd. Ed, then this suggests a reprise of some concluding lots that either went unsold or unpaid for ? Despite there having been a final hammer price on them ? Anyway, not seeing anything I'd be inclined to bid on -- yet.

So what happened to the project machines, all the surplus parts, anything left over from the gift shop ?

#4543 2 years ago

5MIL didn’t cover the losses? Hmmm.

Just more obfuscation of what was going on.

MoP didn't lose 5mil - their financials are in the public for people to view.

Now did the Week's family spend more than 5million? Maybe.. but spending they did that on their own for their own hobby. They were never spending like it was a business, so it's unfair to let anyone claim 'losses' when they are never behaving like they are trying to make a profit in the first place.

#4544 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Don't know their official nomenclature, the ball goes into the saucer, then is passed to the next saucer, left to right, until it reaches the last D saucer. Then it kicks the ball across and down to the left flipper..
So if you get the ball in the A saucer it hops across one at a time to all four, then to left flipper.

Really a advanced feature for 1965. Especially since the holes scoring is tied to a random roulette mech, that is randomized by hitting the stand up targets, or the upper roll through lanes.
It really is a feature stacked game for 65.

20211017_152940 (resized).jpg20211017_152940 (resized).jpg20211017_152946 (resized).jpg20211017_152946 (resized).jpg20211017_152950 (resized).jpg20211017_152950 (resized).jpg

#4545 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Don't know their official nomenclature, the ball goes into the saucer, then is passed to the next saucer, left to right, until it reaches the last D saucer. Then it kicks the ball across and down to the left flipper...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They’re just kick out holes that are lined up sequentially. “Kings and Queens” and “Sing Along” also had them.

You never forget the first time you see the ball get passed across the playfield.

#4546 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Right. Thanks, have to remember that in future. Was it a common design feature in that era, or just a brief one that didn't really catch on ? I'm thinking players would not have been real fond of it.

Quite common on single player woodrail Gottlieb's in the '50's.

#4547 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just more obfuscation of what was going on.
MoP didn't lose 5mil - their financials are in the public for people to view.
Now did the Week's family spend more than 5million? Maybe.. but spending they did that on their own for their own hobby. They were never spending like it was a business, so it's unfair to let anyone claim 'losses' when they are never behaving like they are trying to make a profit in the first place.

Yeah is it just me or does Weeks sound like he’s crying poverty when in actuality he’s making some decent change? They did claim they straight out own that property. Where did that money come from. And while they probably weren’t raking in a lot of dough when the had the pinball shows, they made a reasonable amount. And now he’s leasing it to a pot mfg, which is probably paying top dollar. Enough to make him close ship. And now the 5 MIL payday offset by all these losses, we’ll he’s gotta be in the black after this right? Meanwhile the impression I’m getting he’s barely making it. If I sold 5MIL (way over what they expected and paid for the pins) I’d be smiles ear to ear doing non stop cartwheels

#4548 2 years ago

Yeah is it just me or does Weeks sound like he’s crying poverty when in actuality he’s making some decent change? They did claim they straight out own that property. Where did that money come from. And while they probably weren’t raking in a lot of dough when the had the pinball shows, they made a reasonable amount. And now he’s leasing it to a pot mfg, which is probably paying top dollar. Enough to make him close ship. And now the 5 MIL payday offset by all these losses, we’ll he’s gotta be in the black after this right? Meanwhile the impression I’m getting he’s barely making it. If I sold 5MIL (way over what they expected and paid for the pins) I’d be smiles ear to ear doing non stop cartwheels

I have not taken the time to read everything written about the Banning collection (or building deal) but I have not seen anyone "crying". Making a statement to a news reporter that $5 million from the sale of the machines doesn't cover his cost and he is still in the red isn't really "crying" he is just stating the facts.

What gets under my skin with some people is no matter what good some people do there are always a few people trying to be negative about it. You see this over and over again but PHoF seems to be on the receiving end of this treatment more than anyone else here on Pinside. I was always taught "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all".

In my eyes if someone spends their money buying something then sells it and makes or loses money that is their business. The prices realized at the Banning auctions were the prices buyers were willing to pay. Those prices were not set by the seller - they were set by the bidders. It was amazing what some (or most) of those machines sold for but the hammer prices were 100% up to the bidders.

Anyway - I don't really care if Banning made or lost money and in my eyes that is none of my business anyway.

Just my 2 cents on things as far as conversations about the money end of the Banning adventure.

#4549 2 years ago

It's just you.

#4550 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

it's unfair to let anyone claim 'losses' when they are never behaving like they are trying to make a profit in the first place.

Wait, are we talking about a Vice News story or a tax audit?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate/page/91?hl=lifefloat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.