Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,639 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by PinBallPeteFromSD
  • Topic is favorited by 118 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

marine traffic 2021-10-25 (resized).png
    aspects-hummzinger-ultra-hummingbird-feeder@2x (resized).jpg
    20210915_153816 (resized).jpg
    20211022_135504 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155149 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143137 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143007 (resized).jpg
    20211023_142943 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155304 (resized).jpg
    20210915_163811 (resized).jpg
    59524808-C660-4695-82A6-5ED0248EE5D2 (resized).jpeg
    20211022_142145 (resized).jpg
    Paradise Dancer 2 (resized).jpg
    Paradise Dancer 1 (resized).jpg
    656113252 (resized).jpg
    20211016_162138 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4639 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 93.
    #4001 31 days ago

If someone here bought that Moon Shuttle Cabaret a while back and is having buyers remourse let me know! Lol my net fizzled as I was bidding!

#4002 31 days ago

Im standing next to the new owners of Sub Hunter.

Well done Coindork and son!

That was a fucking battle but that game is going to a good home now.

#4003 31 days ago

I now own a Sub Hunter.
    The number 1 game I wanted in the auction.

My dad would give me quarters to go play in the arcade while him and my mom were playing in bowling league.
    This is the English version of Depthcharge (of which I own two), however this has a two way mirror with blacklight reflective art and a way radder cabinet.
    Im soooooooo stoked right now, and my kids feel like they just involved themselves in part of my childhood.
    Sooo happy to own this.
    This was my favorite game as a kid.

#4004 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I now own a Sub Hunter.
    My dad would give me quarter to go play in the arcade while him and my mom were playing in bowling league.
    This is the English version of Depthcharge (of which I own two), however this has a two way mirror with blacklight reflective art and a way radder cabinet.
    Im soooooooo stoked right now, and my kids feel like they just involved themselves in part of my childhood.
    Sooo happy to own this.

OMG, wow. Can I come visit bring Monte Carlo?

#4005 31 days ago

Have they mentioned when they're calling it quits tonight? Time or lot #

#4006 31 days ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

OMG, wow. Can I come visit bring Monte Carlo?

Yeah man come on out.
    My biggest collecting interest outside of pinball is very early arcade games and I have a huge collection of Black and White 1970s arcade games.
    I'm a huge collector of Black and White games.
    I have many that the museum never had the chance to acquire.

#4007 31 days ago
    Quoted from iCaryl:

Lot 1223, Donkey Kong

#4008 31 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Lot 1224, Donkey Kong

Thanks. That's the item I'm interested in.

#4009 31 days ago
    Quoted from iCaryl:

Good luck !

LTG : )

#4010 31 days ago
    Quoted from iCaryl:

22 more lots tonight.

#4011 31 days ago
    Quoted from iCaryl:

I was one off, 1224 is the giant wall of balls. What’s your price range? I’m interested in it but I have a bad feeling that it’s gonna go pear-shaped very fast.

#4012 31 days ago

$24k for a sub hunter??

#4013 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I now own a Sub Hunter.
    My dad would give me quarters to go play in the arcade while him and my mom were playing in bowling league.
    Sooo happy to own this.

Quoted from Code_Blue:

$24k for a sub hunter??

Read quoted post

#4014 31 days ago

Yeah nothing there explains twenty four thousand dollars.

#4015 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I now own a Sub Hunter.
    Sooo happy to own this.

Funny, Depthcharge was one of the first arcade games I got into. Would watch the attract mode forever before dropping
    a quarter or two in while my older siblings would bowl. Boot Hill was next to it. They hold a special place in my heart. That sub hunter was next level. I didn’t know it was $20k next level, but I imagine it’s unobtanium rare.

#4016 31 days ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

Yeah nothing there explains twenty four thousand dollars.

Some things you can't put a price on.

Quoted from Coindork:

How often can you own memories ?

#4017 31 days ago

Bidder 1660 has bought nearly everything!

#4018 31 days ago

He F'd up. He didn't get PTC !

#4019 31 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

How often can you own memories ?

You will get your Punchy the clown someday.

#4020 31 days ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You will get your Punchy the clown someday.

Then my back up gag falls to my quest for EFL.

#4021 31 days ago

That Sub Hunter is the only one known in existence.

#4022 31 days ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

$24k for a sub hunter??

For what it's worth, this version of Depthcharge was not even known to exist until it showed up at CAX 3 years ago.
    Although I'm not 100% certain, the machine may be a 1 of 1 as far as examples known to exist.

#4023 31 days ago

someone must have figured out that the off the wall was a proto.. I did not think it would go for $5800.

I helped john get that tazzmania. It was never operated. It spent its life in a dentist office with the tutankham I have in storage..

Funny, thats the 2nd set of games that came out of a dentist office. I once got a moustrap and I think a caberet zaxxon out of a local dentist. If I knew a dentist that had arcade games as a kid, I would have wanted to go there!

#4024 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

For what it's worth, this version of Depthcharge was not even known to exist until it showed up at CAX 3 years ago.
    Although I'm not 100% certain, the machine may be a 1 of 1 as far as examples known to exist.

I for one am happy it's going to such a great home !

Enjoy it. Along with all the fun and memories !

#4025 31 days ago

Never got any answer about Lot #1224, which I guess starts tomorrow's session.
    It seems to be just that one entire wall, as a wall sculpture piece ?
    If someone buys that and wants to divvy it up to various interested parties, put me on the list for buying a couple of those jumbo pinballs. You know, as in have a small piece of the MOP for display.

#4026 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:For what it's worth, this version of Depthcharge was not even known to exist until it showed up at CAX 3 years ago.

Your earlier post said you enjoyed playing it at the bowling alley as a kid. Are you saying this is the exact same machine you played as a kid or that, like me, you enjoyed playing depthcharge?

#4027 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

This was the lesser of the two Varkons and it went for more than the first one.

Was that the one with the weak flippers?

#4028 31 days ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Never got any answer about Lot #1224, which I guess starts tomorrow's session.
    It seems to be just that one entire wall, as a wall sculpture piece ?
    If someone buys that and wants to divvy it up to various interested parties, put me on the list for buying a couple of those jumbo pinballs. You know, as in have a small piece of the MOP for display.

You would have to divvy it up just to transport it. But really it’s just a bunch of mirrored balls that they sell at Michael’s arts and crafts for a few bucks a piece. I don’t see any value in it. If it had sentimental value, then Mr. Weeks would have taken it with him.

#4029 31 days ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Was that the one with the weak flippers?

They were saying it had weak flippers when they were selling it today

#4030 31 days ago

No wonder Sub Hunter did not seem familiar, my plan to pick it up for $1500-$2500......

Well it got Depth Charged all to Hell!

Congrats sir, very cool it's a Grail for you.

#4031 31 days ago

My friend and I went in 50/50 on Paradise....
    But I put it on my collection list... haha!

Hula Girls!!

#4032 31 days ago
    Quoted from SunnRAT:

It isn't. I have an even nicer one. Happy to share pix.

I remember packing this one up that sold at Banning and sending it to the USA about 4 years ago. Seems the owner sold it to Banning sometime shortly afterwards.

Early Taito/Taitronics stuff is awesome and should have a high price for the quality and rarity of the games. Even so, I must admit I was completely amazed at the hammer price.

#4033 31 days ago
    Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Firepower actually played very well. It was the go to game for a bunch of us techs after hours. It will be really interesting to see how much that goes for considering I have had 3 of them and all sold for under 1500, including 1 i sent to captains to sell.

Call.me.old or whatever but games like firepower keep me coming back for more parricularily a well tuned game. A game like lotr or others are boring.

#4034 31 days ago
    Quoted from SunnRAT:

I found one on an op raid in Canada in the late 1990's. I have pictures. I wonder if it's the same one. Played the game there. It was cool. I haven't checked in a long time, but I don't think it's in MAME.

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech.net)

#4035 31 days ago

That Taitronics Sub Hunter is gorgeous!

#4037 31 days ago
    Quoted from Alpha1:

It isn't. I have an even nicer one. Happy to share pix.
    I remember packing this one up that sold at Banning and sending it to the USA about 4 years ago.

Quoted from joemagiera:

I found one on an op raid in Canada in the late 1990's. I have pictures. I wonder if it's the same one. Played the game there. It was cool. I haven't checked in a long time, but I don't think it's in MAME.
    Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech.net)

So theres 2 known, one shipped to the US (now at Banning) and possibly a 3rd example seen back in the 1990s in Canada.

I can only imagine how many have survived since their production in the late 70s. It seems like theres more of a chance to see a UFO than finding this game.

#4039 31 days ago

Same bidder was real busy during the other weekend too.

#4040 31 days ago
    Quoted from SunnRAT:

So theres 2 known, one shipped to the US (now at Banning) and possibly a 3rd example seen back in the 1990s in Canada.
    I can only imagine how many have survived since their production in the late 70s. It seems like theres more of a chance to see a UFO than finding this game.

Just spoken to a Japanese collector friend and he says only 2 are known in Japan.

So that's a total of 4, or 5 if the Canada one doesn't turn out to be one of the 2 in Japan as I can vouch that the one I have I got from Germany and the Banning one came from the UK.

#4041 31 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You have 440AC and a lot of space ?
    Huge things often don't go for much.
    Years ago a big Sega game, looked like a gyroscope you rode in. Went for $500 at a local arcade auction. Not many people or places have an area about 25 feet by 25 feet for the fence around it to protect bystanders. And a big game like that you almost need an attendant on duty by it.

Back in the days an attendant was required, you couldn't even start the R-360 from the inside. Then maintenance is permanent and spare parts are unobtainium. I'd be curious to know if there is one still functioning.

We had one in France and it happened the mother of a friend of mine owned it, I got myself decently sick riding that thing for hours.

#4042 31 days ago

This is like deja Vu with the classic car market. Rich dudes reliving their childhoods, come in and ruin the market for the average Joe. Wonder what's next?

#4043 31 days ago
    Quoted from Alpha1:

Just spoken to a Japanese collector friend and he says only 2 are known in Japan.
    So that's a total of 4, or 5 if the Canada one doesn't turn out to be one of the 2 in Japan as I can vouch that the one I have I got from Germany and the Banning one came from the UK.

Curious if you know whatever happened to the game Bouncer?

#4044 31 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

So...you didn't play it as a kid?

#4045 31 days ago
    Quoted from adol75:I can't take my eyes off of that Joust cocktail table, I've never seen one, it's a total beauty

I want one. It’s unique. I have played it about 20 times. I would prefer that over any other cocktail pinball myself.

#4046 31 days ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

You did not miss anything
    Vernes is toast
    Spinball I can get you for halve that price
    From Europe

Thanks RVDV, that makes me feel better.

#4047 31 days ago

I was one off, 1224 is the giant wall of balls. What’s your price range? I’m interested in it but I have a bad feeling that it’s gonna go pear-shaped very fast.

$2k was my limit. Pipe dream in the auction.

#4048 31 days ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

So...you didn't play it as a kid?

No, not the exact machine I played when I was a kid.
    The bowling alley by my house had a Depthcharge.
    Effectively the same game, but in a SEGA Gremlin cabinet (same cabinet as Frogger but white).

Sub Hunter was the European version of this game licensed to Taito.
    If you look at the coin door, the coin eject buttons are denominated in British Pence.

The American version was basically just a white Frogger cabinet with a little bit of graphics on it.
    They went all out graphically on the Euro version, which is one of the things that makes it special

The second variation is that the Euro version uses a two way mirror that reflects a color background (Similar to Varkon, Space Invaders, EM shooting games etc.)
    It looks like a color game, but is not.
    The American version only had a blue gel overlay to make the black and white monitor "look like the ocean".
    The Euro version took it to another level.

Anyhow, my main arcade collecting interest is pre golden era black and white game from the "bronze age of arcades".
    I have about 40 different games from this era including things like Atari Pong, Sky Diver, Death Race etc.
    This was a real gem to add to the collection and one where I friggin adore the gameplay to boot.

If ZapCon happens again you will see this machine at the show,
    My buddy Paul (one of the show organizers) has asked my to do a black and white game exhibit when the show opens back up and I'm really looking forward to that.

#4049 31 days ago

Depthcharge is one of the earliest arcade games I can remember playing. It was at a local 7-11. The *ping* sonar fascinated me while watching those little white barrels tumble into the darkness and explode. Such a perfect balance of patience and reward. Also loved to see the bonus countdown at the end… and get some extra time for the effort.

24k is a helluva lot for a prettified version but you can’t argue with rarity and having the best it ever got.

I wonder… with all the Mame cabinets and remakes and such… are there people who recreate these translucent mirror games too? Like Samurai? Also quite a looker!

#4050 31 days ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Call.me.old or whatever but games like firepower keep me coming back for more parricularily a well tuned game. A game like lotr or others are boring.

You've got company. That's why I prefer EMs, and (basically) from early SS to, say, the demise of Bally and Williams era: scope the layout, see the shots, make the shots; that's it, NO overly complex If/Then/Else rulesets you have to study and memorize. The more of the latter there is -- as with contemporary Sterns & JJPs -- the more my interest declines. And in competition, you have little chance against those savants who were able to memorize it all and can obscurities-ruleset you into a crater. (When I know there are some EMs with tough shots that I think might stymie them.)

There are 4639 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 93.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside