Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,521 posts
  • 402 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Heretic_9
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20211012_221047 (resized).jpg
    20211012_221056 (resized).jpg
    20211012_221336 (resized).jpg
    8F82DCD2-E818-4DDE-BED2-010B69ED7060 (resized).jpeg
    0F60E98F-48FA-43E0-8252-80D93DFEE85D (resized).jpeg
    D0515D93-4D12-4D55-99B2-D365F034D7B0 (resized).jpeg
    0F4C2EB0-B3BA-459F-AE5E-C7D1669D609A (resized).jpeg
    D3A999F0-28E0-4230-9E71-2E2E22B765AC (resized).jpeg
    32FB690D-491C-48CF-9BA6-B9DFAD901A77 (resized).jpeg
    07224DF5-9C90-4838-8EFE-386D56A4E4E7 (resized).jpeg
    9D54A55B-E25F-4717-97E9-CC7DA1B4DE53 (resized).jpeg
    2E659CC9-102B-4630-A024-107ED3AC21E1 (resized).jpeg
    F41FCAAD-33BB-457D-B1C0-76EDCC747D2B (resized).jpeg
    761862A5-E770-4AD6-8B78-97DAED6170C4 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4521 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 91.
    #3451 29 days ago
    Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Transporter was the only machine I bid on and lost it by $500. I am pretty bummed. The machine was spotless. We museum techs have a huge advantage, we know ever single machine like the back of our hands.

Ah man, I feel for ya. That was one of the few where Captain's stupid comments were true. "You won't see another one in this condition." LOL...

$5,000 all in is not bad value on that. Having not come away with anything either, I'm second-guessing and thinking maybe I could have thrown a couple of bids on this one too.

Congrats on the buyer of that one.

#3452 29 days ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Can't speak to others, but mine has always been to buy cheap pinball games, stay off the radar and under the limelight, and be able to have a fun hobby that isn't overrun with rich people buying up everything. But I know that's not how the world works. *#^&%%@& internet.....

I also wonder what the hobby would be like today if more thought that way.

I actually think the goal was more, "let's not let the hobby die. We want Stern to survive and keep making games." It looked close for a while there. No one could foresee a pinball explosion. Even Stern was predicting its death.

#3453 29 days ago

Created a separate thread for just pricing reference and analysis. Maybe this will be a seminal event, we'll have BB and AB pricing, "Before Banning", "After Banning", ha. Weigh in on that with the poll on that thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-museum-of-pinball-auction-price-reference

#3454 29 days ago

Hope everyone so far receives their game working. If not..that would be lame..esp. For 1 time buyers or newbies would be a disaster.
    If the person/people are honest I would fix for free within reason ..well mabey a shasta or preferred beer.

#3455 28 days ago

Good karma comes around!

#3456 28 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

It is Mr. Bronco?
    Has to be. Just has to be.

Took a peek at the results, looks like it was actually a one-off winner.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing him wheel it down to his truck, and elaborating to someone why he bought it, but I wasn't paying much attention, except, "there's the guy that got the Bronco!", ha.

#3457 28 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I also wonder what the hobby would be like today if more thought that way.
    I actually think the goal was more, "let's not let the hobby die. We want Stern to survive and keep making games." It looked close for a while there. No one could foresee a pinball explosion. Even Stern was predicting its death.

I think it's a double edged sword - we wouldn't have such great companies remaking playfields and backglasses, and continuing to supply pinball parts, had the hobby stayed a quiet obscure thing. Of course, if nobody can afford to buy a few pins.....meh

#3458 28 days ago

Not sure if mentioned before. I would guess hyping the games designer,artist,production numbers and history helped the final hammer price immensely. Every game that came up was promoted like the second coming. I'm sure this helped

#3459 28 days ago
    Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

Transporter was the only machine I bid on and lost it by $500. I am pretty bummed. The machine was spotless. We museum techs have a huge advantage, we know ever single machine like the back of our hands.

I purchased Free Fall and Target Alpha. I trust they are in decent shape ---but i dont know like back of my hand.

Comments on these two please?

#3460 28 days ago
    Quoted from dsupica:

I purchased Free Fall and Target Alpha. I trust they are in decent shape ---but i dont know like back of my hand.
    Comments on these two please?

Free Fall was working great when I played it during the final tech day; I put on a nice demo for the other techs near closing time. Can't speak to Target Alpha.

#3461 28 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

Free Fall was working great when I played it during the final tech day; I put on a nice demo for the other techs near closing time. Can't speak to Target Alpha.

OK. That is great. Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated....

#3462 28 days ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

[Query for longtime Pinsiders, re other big auctions & "elite" auctions]

What thread was that ?
    I haven't been a member here as long as many of you, but I recall that there was some huge auction in Tulsa, in 2018.
    Maybe someone who knows can answer this. There was a guy who traveled around the country buying up select pins for occasional, upper-echelon auctions. A lot of the pins he would auction were rare, or supposedly elite specimens -- at (then) commensurate pricing. For these auctions, he published a (near-Sotheby's ?) catalog that puts to shame the vague, useless, one-sentence boiler-plate line rubber-stamped at CAW. It had full descriptions of history (if known), the condition, with at least a few pretty good photos. WHO was that ? Is he still operating, or has he gone through a "Slick Chick drain", not to be seen again ?
    I think I must have a couple of those catalog pages somewhere, saved as PDF, but at the moment have no idea where. Some time later, I recalled a couple posts stating that his descriptions could in some cases be overly generous as to condition. But I don't think that was due to any deliberate chicanery. His auctions gave the impression of being a class act.
    [Addendum: Trying to find some record of this, I started going through a lot of old emails. I'm sure I must have been on his mailing list, but so far nothing. Then I checked a master database of the files from a bunch of old computers. The one hit I came up with was Morphy Auctions. The file was dated 2014. I'm thinking that was likely the one. Still active ?]
    One other thing to add: I'd be very skeptical that ANY of the SoCal dealers bought anything from this auction, due to the additional markup they would have to impose in order to turn a profit. I mean, WHAT is the adjective that captures "beyond insane" ?

It wasn't an auction, but a warehouse sale. It was a fun read at the time:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-sell-a-warehouse-of-arcade-games-and-pins

#3463 28 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It wasn't an auction, but a warehouse sale. It was a fun read at the time:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-do-you-sell-a-warehouse-of-arcade-games-and-pins

Look at all the bad advice given in that thread. Wow.

#3464 28 days ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I think it's a double edged sword - we wouldn't have such great companies remaking playfields and backglasses, and continuing to supply pinball parts, had the hobby stayed a quiet obscure thing. Of course, if nobody can afford to buy a few pins.....meh

I have been reproducing a few hard to find PCBs. With the prices the collectors pay now, I can make a few extra and sell them on ebay for enough to cover my cost and time.

#3466 28 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

A few more pics from my visit yesterday.
    For posterity.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sad.

I think I will forever think of any pinball machine as to where it was located in the museum.
    For example:
    Early Stern is back row center, left side across from the Gotlieb SS pins which chronologically ends with Barb Wire.
    System 11 is center row just past the gap, left side.
    WPC 95 is center row North, Williams on the left (starting with MM), Bally on the right (starting at CC). Then followed by WPC S and WPC 89 pins in production date order heading South ending in T2 (Williams side) and Dr Dude (Bally side).

Etc etc. The way they were organized are forever burned into my brain that way.

#3467 28 days ago
    Quoted from EStroh:

Sad.
    I think I will forever think of any pinball machine as to where it was located in the museum. For example:
    Early Stern is back row center, left side across from the Gotlieb SS pins which chronologically ends with Barb Wire.
    System 11 is center row just past the gap, left side.
    WPC 95 is center row North, Williams on the left (starting with MM), Bally on the right (starting at CC). Then followed by WPC S and WPC 89 pins in production date order heading South ending in T2 (Williams side).
    Etc etc. They're burned into my brain that way.

I took a video walk around before they starting moving things around for sale. I collecting what I can and will put it up on archive.org. If anyone has anything (picture, video, etc), and would like it archives forever, please PM me.

#3468 28 days ago
    Quoted from Karnov:

I took a video walk around before they starting moving things around for sale. I collecting what I can and will put it up on archive.org. If anyone has anything (picture, video, etc), and would like it archives forever, please PM me.

I took this quick video right after the doors opened on Friday for INDISC 2019

#3469 28 days ago
    Quoted from EStroh:

Grabbed. Thanks.

#3470 28 days ago
    Quoted from Karnov:

Check out The Brotherhood of pinball, channel on YouTube, there is a good walkthrough of arcade expo 4.0.
    And the other vids are fun too.

#3471 28 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Check out The Brotherhood of pinball, channel on YouTube, there is a good walkthrough of arcade expo 4.0.
    And the other vids are fun too.

I will grab them.

#3472 28 days ago
    Quoted from EStroh:

Thanks for this nice, brief, reminder glimpse of the wonderfulness that was MOP. THIS is one I would show to people who were curious about it, but might not want to sit through an hour of footage. (And unlike several other MOP videos that have been linked here, this one has the advantage of being well lit, rather than having us trying to make out details in overly dim lighting.) The MOP certainly provided a most convenient locational synergy for INDISC.

This was clearly shot early, before things really got underway then. I attended that INDISC, and I believe that must have been when they cracked around 250 tourney competitors. (That many for the first time ?) But it overlapped with a more general MOP event that had a much larger attendance, which is also not yet evident here.

#3473 28 days ago

Nice vids

#3474 28 days ago

Scored a nice ,perfect working mini pool for 850 usf. Cash on glass and didn't barter. Great seller
    The deals still exist at least where I live. The auction prices are a blip

20210918_151506 (resized).jpg20210918_151513 (resized).jpg20210918_151612 (resized).jpg

#3475 28 days ago
    Quoted from tfduda:

Skip,
    Check out the following website and scroll down to the bottom where you can see the list of machines that sold.
    https://bid.captainsauctionwarehouse.com/m/view-auctions/live-sale/id/80
    [quoted image]

Just scrolled through and the Krull caught my eye. It sold for $6500 hammer price. I bought one non working in 2006 for $250 with power supply issue. $50 in parts and it looked and worked great. When I sold it a year later for $600 I thought I made out like a bandit. I wonder if the Krull at the museum was my old one?

#3476 27 days ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Just scrolled through and the Krull caught my eye. It sold for $6500 hammer price. I bought one non working in 2006 for $250 with power supply issue. $50 in parts and it looked and worked great. When I sold it a year later for $600 I thought I made out like a bandit. I wonder if the Krull at the museum was my old one?

Would’ve been a steal if it was the Krull pinball machine…

#3477 27 days ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Would’ve been a steal if it was the Krull pinball machine…

I remember thinking at the time that it would be cool to own both side by side, but a Krull pinball machine at that time would have gone for a crazy price. Probably around $6500.

I have played a Krull pinball machine, and while the concept was kinda cool, it wasn’t all that fun. Kinda like the video game.

#3478 27 days ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I remember thinking at the time that it would be cool to own both side by side, but a Krull pinball machine at that time would have gone for a crazy price. Probably around $6500.
    I have played a Krull pinball machine, and while the concept was kinda cool, it wasn’t all that fun. Kinda like the video game.

Could re-do the Krull concept with a mini-playfield that's shown to the player via a video screen. Do some real-time processing on the video to make it other-worldly, change colors, etc.

Would still probably sound cooler than it played!

#3479 27 days ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Could re-do the Krull concept with a mini-playfield that's shown to the player via a video screen. Do some real-time processing on the video to make it other-worldly, change colors, etc.
    Would still probably sound cooler than it played!

As I remember it was a fairly large lower playfield that looked small like a mini-playfield because of the way the plastic window distorted it. Similar to looking into the other end of a telescope.It took some getting used to. I suppose you could do something with a camera and an lcd screen, but if either crapped out the game would be unplayable.

#3480 27 days ago

Krull pinball is a great game I have had the privilege of playing.

I would rather have a krull than a spirit, and that is saying a lot to me.

I would recreate it but not change anything except the interior workings. Now that would be a cool recreation. There was only like 8 produced.

#3481 27 days ago

Played Krull Video Game tonight, at my friends.
    No.... it's not very good, but interesting.
    Would love to play the pin someday.

#3482 27 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Were those based on the movie ? (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085811/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0)

#3483 27 days ago

can you imagine what the krull pin would have went for in this auction? Probably 100K

#3484 27 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

can you imagine what the krull pin would have went for in this auction? Probably 100K

Probably only $10,000 to $12,000, out the door prices the average other pins sold. That because; these Buyers weren't educated with current pinball pricing & values.

#3485 27 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Probably only $10,000 to $12,000, out the door prices the average other pins sold. That because; these Buyers weren't educated with current pinball pricing & values.

We'll get an idea next weekend when Magic Girl, Pirates CE, and things like that are auctioned.

LTG : )

#3486 27 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

It's great. Great music, good controls, better gameplay than similar Tron.

#3488 27 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I was lucky enough to have a Krull vid show up at an arcade just down the street from when I was a kid. Back then I thought it was pretty cool... great audio, atmosphere and reasonably fun gameplay. After a while I figured out the tricks and could get through all 5 scenes repeatedly, but still enjoyed it.

#3489 27 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

How about if they had a King Kong?

#3490 27 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How about if they had a King Kong?

Krull would go for a lot more. I had a chance to buy king kong for 12k back in the day.

#3491 27 days ago

they are literally only halfway through so far. They sold #767 and have to get all the way to the limited edition Ghostbusters #1386 next weekend

#3492 27 days ago

Captains is going to at add a 7th day to the auction, this will probably consist on the project games, parts, and other oddball stuff.
    No announcement on day of the auction yet.

#3493 26 days ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Any progress on your Ted Zale book? I'm looking forward to reading it.

The transcript was finished and reviewed by the publisher over two years ago.

This was not the issue.
    I was missing high quality photos for 6 of the zipper flipper titles when COVID-19 changed the entire world.

Presently, it is too expensive to make multiple trips overseas to complete the necessary work as not everything is in the continental US in minimal acceptable condition. I needed examples in a few cases better than my own, or simply unobtainable titles such as Joker and Cosmint unless unhealthy amounts of money were offered. For example, one collector wanted $10K for Joker, which although in impeccable condition is an absolute mediocre game design by Ted Zale. Recently, a restored The Wiggler came up for sale in the midwest, and the owner wanted over $5500.

Who knows maybe I generated some hype a while back?
    At least he is better recognized as a pinball designer now.
    For the time being, the project end state of the book is undetermined.

#3494 26 days ago

Well . . . there are the bona fide licensed themes, and then some semi-disguised (but Wink -- Wink) ripoff ones. At trips to MOP you would run into examples of each.

#3495 26 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I had a chance to buy king kong for 12k back in the day.

I played one not too long ago and there is exactly one. So it must be that one.

It is absolutely beautiful but I would have picked the krull pinball in the same room over it. If that is any consolation. The same owner has the zingy bingo prototype and the wizard blocks prototype. King pin in the mix and your head just began to spin. What a game room.

#3496 26 days ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

It is absolutely beautiful but I would have picked the krull pinball in the same room over it. If that is any consolation. The same owner has the zingy bingo prototype and the wizard blocks prototype. King pin in the mix and your head just began to spin. What a game room.

There are more than one King Kong prototypes out there, there are a few different revisions with different flippers, some have an upkicker in place of a ramp, etc.

#3497 26 days ago

who is tracking the total $$$ all these will bring in? $M's to buy a building but no games to put in it anymore T_T

#3498 26 days ago

It looks like $2.7 million so far

#3499 26 days ago

So what’s the hi-lo on how much John made or lost in total on this venture. Sure we see the somewhere between $2-$5M on sales. Bully for him. But how much did he invest to get there. And by invest I mean not just the original cost of the games to begin with but mortgage, utilities, insurance, upkeep, for several years. That was not cheap and it was undoubtedly negative given how little he was open. Tax write off for sure (and yes I know MOP was a non profit and separate but all the same the assets were still his and almost certainly depreciated). I strongly suspect he comes out ahead, but maybe not as much ahead as the auction sales would suggest.

#3500 26 days ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

There are nine (9) examples of King Kong (Data East, 1990) that were made.
    This is not Loch Ness Monster which is verified at one, but several more backglasses.
    (I uploaded over 70+ LNM images to PinSide prior to the last change of hands)
    I cannot state how many KKs are in actual working order now and survived.
    The original prototypes were all functional with basic code when Data East negated the project.
    High End Pins has done restorations of several, but I do not track those details.

There are 4521 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 91.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside