20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 97.
#2951 2 years ago

Is anyone still keeping up with the sales Total?
What have they made so far.

#2952 2 years ago

I don't recall an auction where EVERY SINGLE lot sold for record prices.

#2953 2 years ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Not many seemed partial to Blue Note, but I was. However at 7.5K, I don't think so. Rarity notwithstanding.

I woulda impulse bought that if it was in the 2-3k range. Looked lovely. So of course it shot up to to highest EM heights!

#2954 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just got back from my pretend auction !

Congrats, looks like a great game to own. Like your sales negotiations.

#2955 2 years ago

I would have bought 15-20 of these EM's for 1000-1500. Oh well.

#2956 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Is anyone still keeping up with the sales Total?
What have they made so far.

As of lot 592
total sales $2,351,950
18% fee taken by Captain's $423,351

#2957 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

As of lot 592
total sales $2,351,950

Some one call Guinness book of records

Most pinballs sold in one place
For insane prices

#2958 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I woulda impulse bought that if it was in the 2-3k range. Looked lovely. So of course it shot up to to highest EM heights!

I doubled my theoretical max. just before it came up, but said 'Forget It' as soon as that opening bid appeared.

#2959 2 years ago

Dimension flummoxed nearly all players when it was in INDISC classics. Much cursing. Not many fans for that one most likely, but just watch . . . .

#2960 2 years ago

My theory appears to be holding true for Slick Chick at $7800

#2961 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I would have bought 15-20 of these EM's for 1000-1500. Oh well.

During the Pandemic, I have spent less on travel and more on games. All of the EM's I bought were under $1,500. I am on double secret probation with my wife (not really, she approves of my interest), but am very happy with my acquisitions. The games are out there and good people are selling them.

#2962 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

As of lot 592
total sales $2,351,950

Captain takes a fee on both ends

#2963 2 years ago

Well… i got my bids in…. I’m not hopeful at all

#2964 2 years ago

Dragonfist seemed to be in nice shape/right deal for a local looking for that game

#2965 2 years ago

Lot #638 could be an interesting barometer for conspiracy theorists: I might be the only one who ever bothered to play it, on all the several MOP events I went to. Mushroom bumpers, strange green art, very few will have ever heard of it.

#2966 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Do you know what the consignment fee typically is?

#2967 2 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

Wait so they take 18% from the buyer and then another 18% from the seller for the price? Jesus...

#2968 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Wait so they take 18% from the buyer and then another 18% from the seller for the price? Jesus...

No comment.Cough, cough.
Chris and John are good friends and captain's has been involved with most every banning event the past 5 years.
So, relationships help. Think Shriners and masons.

#2969 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

That's why he's the pirate captain.

#2970 2 years ago

I wonder if there is an agreement bidders can make if they win a certain number of lots or dollar value to get the percentage points down for premiums.

#2971 2 years ago

Another barometer could be B&A. I bought one from CAW (from one of their *regular* auctions) not so long ago, for around $1,100. The one at MOP may have been in slightly better condition, I'm not sure. If this one at the auction goes for more than double that, I'm really starting to wonder.

#2972 2 years ago

B&A? Oh bow and arrow, got it.

#2973 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Wait so they take 18% from the buyer and then another 18% from the seller for the price?

True of every auction. Not just pinball machines. The auction company gets a percentage from seller and from buyer.

LTG : )

#2974 2 years ago

Bow & Arrow

#2975 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I wonder if there is an agreement bidders can make if they win a certain number of lots or dollar value to get the percentage points down for premiums.

Never heard of anything like that. Be it pinball machines, cars, property, coins, stamps, etc. etc.

#2976 2 years ago

Crunching the numbers after the first 600 games sold. Here are the stats:

600 games sold.

Average hammer price per game: $3,999.08

Average price with all fees: $5,084.63 (+18% buyers premium, 7.75% sales tax)

Total hammer price after 600 games: $2,399,450.00

Total buyer's premium after 600 games: $491,901.00

Total sales tax after 600 games: $219,429.70

I assume very few buyers have a tax exempt certificate at the prices they're paying, not much room for resale.

Total paid for first 600 games: $3,050,780.70

This is based on assuming that sales tax would also apply to the buyer's premium.

#2977 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

True of every auction. Not just pinball machines. The auction company gets a percentage from seller and from buyer.

I guess this is my first dip into these face to face auctions. But something like eBay just takes a fee from the seller and that's based off the final auction value. All fees are on the buyer at that point. The only other fee would be something like PayPal or credit card fees but we're talking 3% and not taking 18%... This just seems insane to me to double dip both ends and basically taking 36% bonus from the sale price from 18%+18%.

#2978 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

I guess this is my first dip into these face to face auctions. But something like eBay just takes a fee from the seller and that's based off the final auction value. All fees are on the buyer at that point. The only other fee would be something like PayPal or credit card fees but we're talking 3% and not taking 18%... This just seems insane to me to double dip both ends and basically taking 36% bonus from the sale price from 18%+18%.

I have not seen the 18%+18% listed and nobody has stated that yet. It says for sellers to contact them regarding seller fees, but buyer fees are clearly listed at 18%.

#2979 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

But something like eBay just takes a fee from the seller and that's based off the final auction value. All fees are on the buyer at that point.

Ebay is different from all other auctions. And Ebay is a website. Many of the auction companies have to travel to what is being auctioned off, bringing crew and equipment. Or having a building and staging it there. Ebay is way cheaper to run.

#2980 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

This is the way...

The seller's fee will be part of the negotiation between the seller and the auction house as part of the agreement to run the auction.. but they will pay.

#2981 2 years ago

usually At Auctions ...
18% buyer fee
10% seller listing fee
3% credit card fee (sometimes)

EDIT: In some cases you (as a bidder) can be unknowingly bidding against a house bidder that doesn't have to pay the 18% due to a prior agreement with the Auctioneer.

#2982 2 years ago

Should the auctioneer leave the country for about a year?

#2983 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Under normal circumstances this is true. This opportunity comes once in a lifetime. I’m sure the owner negotiated fees from the buyers only, I would. The captain is making a mint. I’m sure he knew that when the opportunity presented itself. Not too bad for a few weeks of work.

#2984 2 years ago

It looks like the EMs are going for less than on day 1. Different systems or buyer fatigue?

#2985 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

As of lot 592
total sales $2,351,950

I wonder if given the huge amount of this sale, they didn't negotiate a shared fee with the seller

#2986 2 years ago

Yeah
EMs are almost in normal range
only twice their real value.

#2987 2 years ago

Yeah, if it's a negotiated fee. It makes sense. Just doing the buyer fee is a way to get people to overpay and not factoring in 18% + 7.25% tax, so they just keep bidding and forgetting they have a couple grand in tax and fees after the sale is done. I just thought 18% buyer's fee would be enough of a fee for them, but I guess not.

This is my first Captain's but are people still paying market value for stuff and forgetting about the ~26% in fees/taxes? Or is just that this is such a highly marketed auction that shit's insane. Like, on any other day would a $5k market game go for basically $4k in an auction?

#2988 2 years ago

Top 20 games after 600:

The Addams Family Special Collectors Edition Gold Pinball Bally Midway SS $22,500.00

Hercules Pinball Machine Atari SS $18,000.00

Star Wars Battle Pod Namco Deluxe Arcade Game $17,000.00

Joust Head to Head Pinball Machine (table) Williams SS $17,000.00

Bally Space Flight Mechanical Arcade Game $15,500.00

Twilight Zone Pinball Machine Midway SS $15,000.00

Banzai Run Pinball Machine Williams SS $14,500.00

Elvira House of Horror Limited Edition Pinball Machine #108/400 $14,500.00

Back to the Future Pinball Machine Data East SS $14,000.00

Tales of the Arabian Nights Pinball Machine Williams SS $14,000.00

Tattoo Assassins Rare Data East Arcade Game $13,500.00

Cosmic Princess Pinball Machine (Australia) Stern SS $13,500.00

Guardians of the Galaxy Limited Edition Pinball Machine #49/600 $13,000.00

Jurassic Park Limited Edition Pinball Machine Stern #331/500 $13,000.00

Avengers Infinity Quest Limited Edition Pinball Machine Stern #416/500 $12,500.00

Eight Ball Deluxe Pinball Machine Bally SS Large Displays $12,500.00

AC/DC Luci (Premium) Pinball Machine Stern $12,000.00

Cactus Canyon Pinball Machine Midway SS $12,000.00

Disc of Tron Environmental Classic Arcade Game $11,500.00

Paper Boy Special Edition Original Only 1 Signed By Team Arcade Game $11,500.00

#2990 2 years ago

I was looking at the 2001 or Dimension. Wonder what they went for?

#2991 2 years ago
Quoted from o07eleven:

Yeah, if it's a negotiated fee. It makes sense. Just doing the buyer fee is a way to get people to overpay and not factoring in 18% + 7.25% tax, so they just keep bidding and forgetting they have a couple grand in tax and fees after the sale is done. I just thought 18% buyer's fee would be enough of a fee for them, but I guess not.
This is my first Captain's but are people still paying market value for stuff and forgetting about the ~26% in fees/taxes? Or is just that this is such a highly marketed auction that shit's insane. Like, on any other day would a $5k market game go for basically $4k in an auction?

For example: If I bring 1 machine to auction, I can't fight the 10% entry fee, but if I'm bringing 10 machines, then I'm not paying the 10%in or the 18%out on anything I buy because that's the prearranged deal we've worked out before I even head to the auction house.

#2992 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I wonder if given the huge amount of this sale, they didn't negotiate a shared fee with the seller

Depending on auction company. And product. And potentially prices achieved. There wouldn't be all this debate if the auction was a flop. There is no guarantee bidders will show up and participate. Who could for see how the word of this auction spread far and wide. Well past the arcade and pinball communities.

#2993 2 years ago

The woman with the blue hair is dreadful

Why not get the WPT Royal Flush girls ???

royal flush (resized).jpgroyal flush (resized).jpg
#2994 2 years ago

These bidders don't know 60's wedge heads. Flip a card and Spin a card going for same as Cross Town and Buckaroo, both much better pins with iconic back box animation.

#2995 2 years ago
Quoted from EMDude:

These bidders don't know 60's wedge heads. Flip a card and Spin a card going for same as Cross Town and Buckaroo, both much better pins with iconic back box animation.

Hmm. It’s almost as if the people bidding aren’t “pinball people” and are instead civilians.

#2996 2 years ago
Quoted from EMDude:

Do these bidders even know what an em is?

#2997 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Voltan seemed good price for rarity

Nope - I had one in great condition, it played like a dog, boring - only one thing to do, rinse and repeat. And I'm very forgiving of that kind of thing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate/page/60 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.