20230601_100120 (resized).jpg
20230601_100100 (resized).jpg
20230601_095517 (resized).jpg
20230601_095500 (resized).jpg
20230601_095426 (resized).jpg
20230601_095139(0) (resized).jpg
20230601_095123 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 97.
#2451 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I’ve seen this happen at several captains auctions.
Months later you see same games pop up again
I think it’s for creating a hype to get high prices and whatever sells/paid for is a win. $10k data east is probably $5k in real time
So still good sale
Hope I make sense

Noticed a few consistent front runner/white rabbits driving up bids quickly yesterday.
Just curious is that pretty common at captains?

#2452 2 years ago

If you sell your own item at Captains you can bid against your own item to raise up the price. It's allowed.

Quoted from seenev:

You're saying they inflate the prices and expect a lot of people to not actually pay what they bid, and then sell them the next time they have an auction?

#2453 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

You're saying they inflate the prices and expect a lot of people to not actually pay what they bid, and then sell them the next time they have an auction?

I've heard that Captains has machines that they own in their own auctions. If they don't go high enough they just bid on them themselves and put them back into a future auction. I'm sure they occasionally "bid up" an item as well if they think they can increase the closing price. I don't see either of those happening here. They stand to make more for charging 18% on a VERY inflated price than risking being stuck with an overpriced item.

... but I could be wrong

#2454 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have to admit, I am kinda sad. I was really hoping to pick up a couple of machines and had put a lot of work into figuring out logistics to get them to me. But at these prices, looks like I am back to CL

Same here - I did so much research to create a valid bidding plan - not once has the price paused before my max. I know good pins are out there, but not these

#2455 2 years ago

Yes that is correct if it does not go for the money wanted it will go to the next auction or the auction after that. I have seen the same game two - four times pop up at auctions.

#2456 2 years ago

Somethings up when a non booting, missing sideart, no marquee DK cabinet sells for $2375 after fees and taxes. (lot 297)

EDIT: you can go the website and click on Catalog to see the winning bid for each title/lot

#2457 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I’ve seen this happen at several captains auctions.
Months later you see same games pop up again
I think it’s for creating a hype to get high prices and whatever sells/paid for is a win. $10k data east is probably $5k in real time
So still good sale
Hope I make sense

Holy crap I think you might be onto something here. I just saw a really good expose by Karl Jobst about how console game promoters are buying or creating grading houses, handling the hype and the marketing, and meanwhile working exclusively with particular auction houses and essentially doing buybacks with loosely affiliated agents. All of this generates artificial scarcity and price bumps. Those 1 million dollar video game cartridges that you hear about are not completely on the level, but it certainly brought attention towards grading and auction houses.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, and they're certainly are differences. It would be a heck of an accusation to make (I am by no means making this accusation) with this current auction, and I also don't see the pieces fit together for the long con quite yet.

If you start to hear about grading houses for video game boards, play fields, entire games... watch out.

#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Same here - I did so much research to create a valid bidding plan - not once has the price paused before my max. I know good pins are out there, but not these

nlt (resized).pngnlt (resized).png
#2459 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Noticed a few consistent front runner/white rabbits driving up bids quickly yesterday.
Just curious is that pretty common at captains?

Maybe some people who have a set budget and give a shot at every item.

#2460 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I posted this in the other thread and part of a PM conversation:

Another impact of this is people operating games. Everyone in the country and world going to assume that little corner of the bar sits 100,000+ in equipment now.

The thought of perceived values on my equipment has crossed my mind. Not just burglary. But two big guys and a gun could grab a game or two and throw in a vehicle and go.

That was never a concern. But with so many stores ignoring shoplifters, it's a possibility.

LTG : )

#2461 2 years ago

Welp, time to grab my morning Monster and pull up a chair for day 3 of the bloodbath. I wonder if they'll be able to finish in the allotted time, or will they have to extend the auction a day or two?
dgbg.gifdgbg.gif

#2462 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Bit of a shame to see the more rare titles now go out to who knows where.
Liked knowing all these pins were in one place - oh well.

That is why in the early 2000's I tried picking up rare titles. So they didn't disappear and people never get a chance to play them.

But between the economy going down and players didn't support the games. That idea died.

#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Don’t forget the fees so it’s actually
BTTF $17,500

Stop the insanity!!!!

88B024D2-E959-4E42-A754-FF05D023BF4E (resized).jpeg88B024D2-E959-4E42-A754-FF05D023BF4E (resized).jpeg
#2464 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Maybe some people who have a set budget and give a shot at every item.

I think the drive up at every auction opening are people's automatic bid entries being placed. I think the software takes the top two bids that were entered before the auction starts and uses those to cycle the price up until it reached the maximum bid entered before the auction starts.

#2465 2 years ago

I was looking for BTTF (although really didn't expect to get this at a reasonable price) but then I was also looking for Bad Cats. I thought a game with no-multiball can't possibly go for a lot... $9900 later.

Then I was just thinking, these people just slamming the bid button don't know anything about the game besides what the auctioneer is feeding them. So "great game, super rare, you'll never see this again, this is the best shape one out there". But then also seeing games that weren't working or the stream having trouble playing the game with errors (N.A.R.C. was one of them the other night) that weren't pointed out.

I had a shred of hope to pick up a deal, but honestly I feel snagging some arcade cabinets seems like a better idea vs pins. I've seen some go for pretty reasonable prices. I was tempted to bid on Afterburner, U.N. Squadron and Pop N' Music cabinets, but I didn't want to pay the packing/shipping on those. If I was local, I would have probably walked off with a lot of arcade cabinets. The racing cabinets seemed to be going for pretty low prices.

#2466 2 years ago

Thinking of things like this. Years ago at a show in Japan Namco had around 20 players sitting in a circle, kind of back to back. In front of them a huge screen in a circle on the wall. Looked like the outer space battle in Star Wars.

#2467 2 years ago

I figured out how to download a listing of all the hammer prices so far.

As of last night's ending (lot 426):

sum of all hammer prices:
$1,480,400

Estimated take home price (hammer * 1.257)
$1,860,863

#2468 2 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

is there a list of hammerprices of yesterday?

The link I watched had a list of all the games and right after the game was sold the price was filled in. It was the lower right side of the page. The link was posted here awhile back.

#2469 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

But two big guys and a gun could grab a game or two and throw in a vehicle and go.

In reality, likely just one super annoying gaming dude talking your ear off all day.
A dollar for pop and he goes away.
7D61DFEC-ECEB-4C80-BD49-5F55F13EAE6B (resized).jpeg7D61DFEC-ECEB-4C80-BD49-5F55F13EAE6B (resized).jpeg

#2471 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

$1,480,400
$1,860,863

So they're definitely gonna make morr than 8 million dollars on this auction. There was a lot of arcade games that sold for 1 to 2k.

#2472 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thinking of things like this. Years ago at a show in Japan Namco had around 20 players sitting in a circle, kind of back to back. In front of them a huge screen in a circle on the wall. Looked like the outer space battle in Star Wars.

I’m actually looking for the Galaxian Theater if anyone has leads on one. I heard there are only like 4 known examples.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

$1,480,400
$1,860,863

Keypost please

#2473 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

So how much are NIB pins going up after this?

Not overly concerned, since I won't buy those EITHER.

#2474 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m actually looking for the Galaxian Theater if anyone has leads on one. I heard there are only like 4 known examples.

Keypost please

We had 3 in France, so I would think there were more than 4 made. I remember one in London, and I'm sure there was one in Vegas.

But finding one box, I will say good luck

#2475 2 years ago

As a recognized pinball repair man, I am salivating at this sale. I'm only hoping the games aren't going out of country. I have lots of rich neighbors who have recently moved to Montana/Wyoming/Idaho as well as a slew of richies that have had vaca places out here for some time. I hope to service at least a few of these. I will bill accordingly....

#2476 2 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

As a recognized pinball repair man, I am salivating at this sale. I'm only hoping the games aren't going out of country. I have lots of rich neighbors who have recently moved to Montana/Wyoming/Idaho as well as a slew of richies that have had vaca places out here for some time. I hope to service at least a few of these. I will bill accordingly....

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. This may not kick off a golden age for pinball, but will likely kick off a golden age for pinball repair folks across the US

#2477 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

many collector car auctions list them with reserve pricing meaning if the reserve price is not met then there is no sale

here is something else that appears to be missing

auction estimate (resized).PNGauction estimate (resized).PNG
#2478 2 years ago

YT feed is still on Lot 53. Someone needs to give them the word -- time to ditch the Replay. We got all that grim news yesterday.

#2479 2 years ago

Has anyone noticed that some hammer prices on the listing are gone from yesterday for Medusa, Golden Cue? Weird.

#2480 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Bad cats is the new hype
$12,375 out the door[quoted image]

Whelp, I guess there goes my hopes of ever owning a Bad cats. Wonder what my Classic pf is now worth??

#2481 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

That just reminded me of Ridge racer full scale.
[quoted image]

Yeah, that's pretty close to Galaxian 3 in size. The only one I ever saw was at Luxor in Las Vegas not long after it opened.

#2482 2 years ago

I will donate to Pinside if someone makes a topic listing all of the prices games sold for at this event.

I wonder if there were any Corp / Company buyers who took home a large % o these games.

This would be a nice service for folks looking to evaluate the value of games for insurance purposes..

#2483 2 years ago

Did anybody else wake up this morning and just start laughing for no reason?

7E01CF9A-FD64-4B6C-AE55-CDE056C08928.gif7E01CF9A-FD64-4B6C-AE55-CDE056C08928.gif
#2484 2 years ago
Quoted from flyhigh:

Has anyone noticed that some hammer prices on the listing are gone from yesterday for Medussa, Golden Cue? Weird.

Likely an issue with winning Bidders. If so, They might re-Auction them.

Y

#2485 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I wonder if there were any Corp / Company buyers who took home a large % o these games.

Im aware of one.

#2486 2 years ago

Buckle up buckaroos! Its starting!

#2487 2 years ago

Oh boy 4k+ for Nugent - Sterns are going to hit the mark.

#2488 2 years ago

Can't wait for the Stern Dracula, that game was probably one of the roughest there. Probably doesn't matter lol

#2489 2 years ago

These prices are Intensities in Ten Cities!

A3231671-9B3C-455F-AD97-41CB22B525EB.jpegA3231671-9B3C-455F-AD97-41CB22B525EB.jpeg

#2490 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

***Williams/ Bally Pinball division has entered the chat***

Actually… at these prices you’ve got a decent support for just re-popping old non-licensed machines. With CPR making playfield and backglasses, it’s not terribly hard to remake the rest. Development was where the real cost was

#2491 2 years ago

So where are people watching live?

#2493 2 years ago

YIKES Stern Stars not working for $2600 so far I think the buyer is gonna be very unhappy. It was working in the listing photos

#2495 2 years ago

Wow that's like the 5th time he's started to say "SOLD" then he takes another bid. I would be pissed lol

#2497 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Wow that's like the 5th time he's started to say "SOLD" then he takes another bid. I would be pissed lol

Well that person who lost the bid was 2959, they've been bidding on all these games anyway.

#2498 2 years ago

I really liked Nine Ball and Galaxy (pretty similar designs), had played Nine Ball a few times elsewhere in tourneys, but was never satisfied with the playing condition of the ones at MOP.

#2499 2 years ago

lol this is one I was waiting on..... $9,500 already nopes.

#2500 2 years ago

here goes Star Gazer...

There are 4,808 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banning-pinball-museum-to-relocate/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.