Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 422 posts - Hot topic!
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 minutes ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 89 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MOP games list.pdf (PDF preview)
    20210726_143146 (resized).jpg
    20210726_143124 (resized).jpg
    20210726_142933 (resized).jpg
    20210726_142744 (resized).jpg
    20210321_093259 (resized).jpg
    74C11712-7FE5-4871-A278-17B60BF9DFBA (resized).jpeg
    4E907FFE-1513-4519-B272-91DD463FAE1C (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.06.51 PM (resized).png
    2FF19F07-1818-4BA3-ABCB-AE15012C63E4.gif
    3EB239C1-0B99-4677-8E45-4046B20D72DD (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.09.54 AM (resized).png
    E95DA0E1-3B16-4D91-AAA6-95879CC29225 (resized).jpeg
    PMkNpHp.jpg
    Gbds58C.jpg
    image0 (resized).jpeg

There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 12 days ago

I wish I had crossed paths there with some of the other folks that were there during the various repair visits. Good to hear from Robert.

What a cool place to just play and talk pinball. A shame to see it go.

#202 12 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's kind of a silly game of gotcha you are playing.
    Nobody claimed they couldn't personally afford anything, or claimed to be driving a '77 Chevy Nova. Not sure what you are trying to prove here.
    What kind of car they have or how much money they have isn't really relevant.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thats storing or housing or whatever you want to call it, you said moving. Sorry but I just found your post to be in bad taste...just because they have money doesn't mean they can, should or want to do something.
    Posting pics of Jonathan just to show if he has enough money to keep the collection is a crappy move...

If they came out and said they lost interest in keeping the museum going, or didnt want to spend the money that was required, then I wouldnt care, and wouldnt have posted that. But when one of the lead techs comes here and basically says "we need money or a place to move", that seemed to me a bit at odds with with them posing next to expensive cars and living in $1m houses.

It's regardless a bit of an F-you to the techs who paid out of pocket for parts, food, drink, etc for themselves and/or other techs. Clearly the Weeks are pretty flush with money, so they can and should have comped them considering how much of their time and specalized labor they donated to fix *their* collection.

With things not being properly declared on the tax forum, that makes things a lot more scummy IMO

#203 12 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

It's regardless a bit of an F-you to the techs who paid out of pocket for parts, food, drink, etc for themselves and/or other techs.

I , and many other techs who have volunteered for years, do not feel that way

#204 12 days ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I , and many other techs, do not feel that way

In my opinion, you and many other techs have Stockholm Syndrome

#205 12 days ago

For me (and certainly i know others) it was a labor of love working in that arcade room.

I dont get all bent out of shape over money, so i had no problem doing that work for free on my own time. The best part was working with others and bonding over our shared interest of arcades.

Good times in that place. Some goofy and oddball games we may never see again. The AC didnt always work and although no one complained it was sooo nice having those doors open at night.

#206 12 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

I volunteered when I had time
    Mr Weeks bought us lunch every time we went to help
    We were fed during events
    When we needed parts we added it to the marco order John paid for, the parts were there the following tech day
    We had access to an incredible collection of games that we got to play year round
    Your stories of us paying for most of the parts and buying food are bullshit. Sure a few of us donated parts that we had but were no way obligated to...
    We were happy to be there

#207 11 days ago

We can agree to disagree on the being comped part, but can *anyone* here defend or explain what looks like a potential tax shelter based off their filings?

Also I didnt get my money back for the canceled 2020 event until I made contact with a tech more than a year later, who contacted Jonathan. That whole ordeal took about a week. I was not contacted by the organization, and an attempt to contact them on the website "Contact Us" page led to nothing. Now that they are liquidating their non-declared assets, I can only hope they send out an email, and failing that, people remember to bug them about getting a refund

#208 11 days ago

Late to the thread, but as someone who has tried to open a legitimate location in multiple cities/jurisdictions in SoCal, I could tell you it is easier to open a pot selling full nude strip club across the street from an elementary school than it is to open a location with more than 5 pinball machines.
    I know exactly what the Weeks family was going through and I appreciate the effort they, and all the volunteers, put in to it.

#209 11 days ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

but as someone who has tried to open a legitimate location in multiple cities/jurisdictions in SoCal, I could tell you it is easier to open a pot selling full nude strip club across the street from an elementary school than it is to open a location with more than 5 pinball machines.

What's the reason they gave, if any? I don't doubt you, just very curious since we're (presumably) more than half a century beyond the "pinball machines are gambling devices" mindset.

#210 11 days ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I volunteered when I had time
    Mr Weeks bought us lunch every time we went to help
    We were fed during events
    When we needed parts we added it to the marco order John paid for, the parts were there the following tech day
    We had access to an incredible collection of games that we got to play year round
    Your stories of us paying for most of the parts and buying food are bullshit. Sure a few of us donated parts that we had but were no way obligated to...
    We were happy to be there

Well said, I gave up 100s if not 1000s of hours and dollars to the MOP. I would do it again and again. You know what I got in return? 6 years of good times, friendships that will last a lifetime, and no fucken shit, I got a dog. This place has opened up opportunities for so many people. It truly is a family of techs. I walked in 6 years ago a guest and am walking with an experience I know will never happen again.

#211 11 days ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

What's the reason they give? I don't doubt you, just very curious since we're (presumably) more than half a century beyond the "pinball machines are gambling devices" mindset.

Well, that’s part of it. Pinball is still illegal in a lot of jurisdictions. I would have to seek variances and go in front of the city councils if they even want to mess with it at all. One city figured it would cost me about 3-6 months, 10-12k in fees, a signed lease, along with a full set of plans drawn up by an architect to determine occupancy, in order to get a yes or no from their city council to open in their city. And pinball was LEGAL there. They were trying to figure out how to classify/tax me.
    Another city wrote up about a dozen laws to kick out an arcade at some point. (Full clear glass facade, parking for 20 bicycles, seating for 20 people, no live or amplified music, no dim lights-full brightness overheads only, etc etc.)

#212 11 days ago

What is sad, is that there are many abandon units in malls that could house
    parts of the collection. e.g. Sears unit; empty.

#213 11 days ago

I’m going to miss working the games and the crowds. I really enjoyed the few tech days I was able to attend and I’ll wear my red shirt with pride.

#214 11 days ago
    Quoted from PinBallPeteFromSD:

...and no fucken shit, I got a dog.

It saddens me to hear you talking about Laser War like that.

#215 11 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

So you, who did what exactly to help with anything, are the expert on how all the people who spent their own time as they pleased should feel?

That's some classic Pinside alright.

---

I did a some days of volunteering here and there, it was honestly hard for me to find time to get out to Banning. And, I didn't have a the desire or frankly the skills to do much more than I did. I'm happy to rebuild flippers, but I'm not much for doing board work. But I still always enjoyed working on the games and hanging out with people during the off hours there. I didn't do enough to feel like I earned a red shirt, but I've still got a set of keys for all the games somewhere, so I guess that's where my tech spectrum lies.

I certainly wasn't cheated by anyone.

Well, except the time Jonathan threw me out of the building, but we sorted that, and it makes for a good story now.

It's a shame it's closing, but these things happen. Glad we had it for the years we did.

#216 11 days ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

The best place that was nearby to eat.

Azmodeus,
    Greatly enjoyed seeing you and other pinfans I knew at several past MoP events.
    Also rather sad to see some Pinside members opening fire in various directions in this thread, with scant point or justification. (Talk about irrelevance . . . .)

Some mostly overlooked but important topics here that flow from this, like what becomes of INDISC, which had grown considerably over the last few years ? Hard to imagine it shrinking back to a bowling alley.

#217 11 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Banning didn't have 1900 pins. they have 1900 *games* (including video.) Their pinball number was around 550 i believe. they were heavily invested in video games.
    what was said above seems good... "Tim at PHOF showed that 200 pins and 50 arcades in a smaller building can bring in $1m plus per annum."
    At the VFW Ann Arbor museum we have close to 500 pins. It's a *huge* task to keep them all running. Even though every single one is gone through, top to bottom, before it hits the floor. There's just things that you can't see coming. And we're pinball mechanics there (my impression of John Weeks was that he didn't fix games, which makes the whole job a lot harder.) It's difficult to see all things coming.
    We had to get special permission from our township to have the VFW open at all. Frankly it wasn't easy, they liked the idea of having a pinball museum that *never* opened. That of course make no sense... they had to be convinced...

As far as fixing the games at MoP, I'm sure the dedicated and hard-working cadre of Red Shirt volunteers I always observed at events (and prepping for events, and -- I'm told -- at many other times during the year) would disagree with your surmise. They had a nice system worked out. You would often see a white form there under the glass of turned-off, non-working games, listing parts that were needed and the work to be done -- to the extent that this was known. Now I've not been to PHoF in about 4 years, but I don't recall seeing anything like that at Tim's place, and have long thought that such a systematic approach to repairs would have benefited it.

#218 11 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

If they came out and said they lost interest in keeping the museum going, or didnt want to spend the money that was required, then I wouldnt care, and wouldnt have posted that. But when one of the lead techs comes here and basically says "we need money or a place to move", that seemed to me a bit at odds with with them posing next to expensive cars and living in $1m houses.

I recall hearing about crack babies in the 80's but never knew they actually lived long enough to use a keyboard.

If you knew just one of the hundreds of people in this hobby that actually matter or 1/10 of what MOP is or was you'd be singing a different tune.

Where in the world do you get your information from?

#219 11 days ago
    Quoted from Crans:

I recall hearing about crack babies in the 80's but never knew they actually lived long enough to use a keyboard.
    If you knew just one of the hundreds of people in this hobby that actually matter or 1/10 of what MOP is or was you'd be singing a different tune.
    Where in the world do you get your information from?

He found a picture of one of the owners sitting in somebody else's Lamborgini.

Someone call the feds!!!!

#220 11 days ago
    Quoted from jay:

Ok, thats funny!

#221 11 days ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Well, that’s part of it. Pinball is still illegal in a lot of jurisdictions. I would have to seek variances and go in front of the city councils if they even want to mess with it at all. One city figured it would cost me about 3-6 months, 10-12k in fees, a signed lease, along with a full set of plans drawn up by an architect to determine occupancy, in order to get a yes or no from their city council to open in their city. And pinball was LEGAL there. They were trying to figure out how to classify/tax me.
    Another city wrote up about a dozen laws to kick out an arcade at some point. (Full clear glass facade, parking for 20 bicycles, seating for 20 people, no live or amplified music, no dim lights-full brightness overheads only, etc etc.)

I posted a thread on here awhile back of the manual to open a location at an airport. One whole chapter is on signage and walls.

#222 11 days ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

As far as fixing the games at MoP, I'm sure the dedicated and hard-working cadre of Red Shirt volunteers I always observed at events (and prepping for events, and -- I'm told -- at many other times during the year) would disagree with your surmise. They had a nice system worked out. You would often see a white form there under the glass of turned-off, non-working games, listing parts that were needed and the work to be done -- to the extent that this was known. Now I've not been to PHoF in about 4 years, but I don't recall seeing anything like that at Tim's place, and have long thought that such a systematic approach to repairs would have benefited it.

cfh may have meant Jonathan Weeks.

#223 11 days ago
    Quoted from jay:

Dude you give laser wars more credit then it deserves. She's a beaut Clark.

#224 11 days ago

My wife is more upset than me, she was an "official game tester" who was required to play the greatest games made for hours on end while we worked.
    She has an uncanny knack of being able to find any game component that might be on its last leg, and deliver a fatal shot.
    Broken ramps were her specialty...

#225 11 days ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Oh, that's why there's such a bug up your ass about this. I couldn't figure out why you were so bent out of shape about this, but I guess now it makes sense...

He got his money back, just like everyone else. When you look at the time stamp on the attacment I emailed him back within 20 minutes when he sent his email at 12:44 am. He is posting 2 screenshots from my personal IG photos of cars that I do not own that were taken almost 6 years ago, one from a friend during AE 2.0 and the other from a fundraising event at my friends car dealership. Also, we don't live in $1m houses it was $270k in 2012, it has just appreciated a lot. John lives in a 55+ community in a trailer from the 1960's he bought for $14k. I guess you have it all figured out though...

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.09.54 AM (resized).png
    #226 11 days ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Azmodeus,
    Greatly enjoyed seeing you and other pinfans I knew at several past MoP events.
    Also rather sad to see some Pinside members opening fire in various directions in this thread, with scant point or justification. (Talk about irrelevance . . . .)
    Some mostly overlooked but important topics here that flow from this, like what becomes of INDISC, which had grown considerably over the last few years ? Hard to imagine it shrinking back to a bowling alley.

Thank you.

#227 11 days ago

Along with the friendships made, I learned an incredible amount of tech skills from others who also helped out... for that I am grateful.

#228 11 days ago

I am greatly saddened by the closing of the museum.

I am pretty sure it helped save my life. They did a benefit there when I had my stroke and three brain surgeries five years ago.

So it is with great great sadness I see all of this happen. Please allow me to share some of my memories.

Such good memories. I thought it was here to stay now. I thought I wasn’t that upset and then my fiancée told me it’s all I have been talking about for two days.

I met John weeks at California extreme about seven years ago. He was very friendly and aimed to open banning.

The rest became history. He opened it. It became our place here in the Los Angeles area. Very nice.

I hope that John is able to pursue his dreams, as he has helped me pursue my own. By helping save my very life.

Pinball saved my life. The banning museum helped. Fully.

By the way, if anyone has any pictures of the charity events that saved me, please send them to me.

Thanks. I heard there will be an auction. I hope to attend.

My last comment. John weeks is a helluva nice guy. I hope he cooks up something else.

3EB239C1-0B99-4677-8E45-4046B20D72DD (resized).jpeg

#229 11 days ago

Going to put that picture on a shirt.

#230 11 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

2FF19F07-1818-4BA3-ABCB-AE15012C63E4.gif

#231 11 days ago

Sad to hear...

#232 10 days ago

Not sure if the Museum is still intact, but it would be amazing if they could film a high quality tour video before the collection is separated and auctioned off.

I'd be happy to pay a fee for access to a guided walkthrough or for a collection of specialized videos on the most notable pins in the collection. It's such an amazing accumulation of pin history, and videos could preserve that knowledge and history for those of us who never had the chance to experience it in real life!

#233 10 days ago

I visited the MOP during the initial opening and flew back to CA to spend three days fixing games with the team before the second opening.

Met Tom and Reiny and several others in person. All very talented and generous people with their skills and time. It was a wonderful opportunity to see such an ambitious vision come to life and be able to participate in making it happen.

I also discovered new games I might not have otherwise found until much later, like Skyrocket. After rebuilding it at the museum, I had to have one for myself. Such is the reason why we need living examples for the public to put their hands upon and play. More desire = more attention = the hobby lives for another generation.

With ReplayFX gone and MOP to follow… and the PHOF’s new land survey challenge and the PPM’s ridiculous restrictions imposed by the city after moving in… and with Pinball Rescue going out of business (thankfully Shay taking up the slack!)… public pinball has been dealt some hard blows lately.

Nevertheless, people who truly care and WORK to preserve pinball, bring it to new people, and foster goodwill among the caretakers and suppliers of the hobby as well as training newcomers with patience and kindness are the ones who will carry it forward and be remembered for doing so.

My hat is off to John Weeks & company & all of the volunteers and promoters for entertaining so many during the MOP’s now-legendary run.

#234 10 days ago

The Ann Arbor VFW is still doing shows. We had a show in 2020 and we are planning for the 2021 show (Oct 2/3) right now. Nearly 500 pingames too. So it's not all doom and gloom.

#235 10 days ago

I wish I had volunteered to tech there more than I did, but the times I did I wouldn’t trade for anything. As others said the tech group was always fun. listening to stories while sifting through parts bins is a fond memory.

For us techs who all shared a love for the games another perk was the opportunity to work on rare/unique games I may never even see again.

Also for me, I have to admit, I often like working on games more than playing them so from my perspective I got to go to the shows, hang out with friends in our own dedicated area and go out and “play” (fix) games.

#236 10 days ago

Really sorry to hear this news. So unfortunate for the community regardless of the hindsight of who should have could have would have done what to keep it alive. It’s a loss for all of us.

#237 9 days ago

I’ve never done an auction before but I’m definitely interested in buying several machines. How long do I have to pay and what forms of payment are accepted. Is there a fee over the gavel price. How long do I have to remove a machine I win?

#238 9 days ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

I’ve never done an auction before but I’m definitely interested in buying several machines. How long do I have to pay and what forms of payment are accepted. Is there a fee over the gavel price. How long do I have to remove a machine I win?

I can answer one question: You pay immediately. Auctioneers are not patient folks.

It's quite possible they'll require your payment info before you can bid on the auction.
    You know, like when you bid on a 3.5 star hotel on Priceline.

#239 9 days ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Go to The Captain's Auctions site for actual details.

Based on the amusement game and other auctions I've attended, usually there is a 13-20% "buyers premium" added to the hammer price. Cash is King for payment, otherwise, add another 2 or 3% for credit card payments. Don't forget the Morongo Valley sales tax rate of 7.75% unless you are a reseller and can prove it. Some high-dollar auctions (think Barrett-Jackson) will accept a credit letter from your bank allowing you to write a check on the spot based on your assets there.

You usually have a few hours after the auction ends to remove your "winnings". If you bid and win on an early item up for bids, you'll have lots of time to get the stuff out. If you bid on one of the last items, pay and back up the truck. Since this will be an internet and in-person auction, you can the chosen shipping company crate and ship your winnings. Fees may apply....

#240 9 days ago

Is Captains who will be conducting this auction?

#241 9 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

It's regardless a bit of an F-you to the techs who paid out of pocket for parts, food, drink, etc for themselves and/or other techs. Clearly the Weeks are pretty flush with money, so they can and should have comped them considering how much of their time and specalized labor they donated to fix *their* collection.
    With things not being properly declared on the tax forum, that makes things a lot more scummy IMO

Man, you missed the mark with your post. I volunteered for years, and we are all disappointed that it's over; at least we got the time we can remember. There is NO need to post about the owner and his son here; way too personal and antagonistic. If you knew John and his son, you'd know there's virtue there. They are fine people who made every effort to create and sustain something AMAZING; the most impressive pinball and Vid collection ever which has been available for public events. There was NOTHING like Arcade Expo, and there never will be anything like it again by my estimation.

Next time, try to exercise some discretion and be even keeled. Don't impute motives on John and his son. That's completely unfair, and cosmokramer is absolutely right that your comments are in bad taste, and reek of malice and infer something which is simply not true. We are all in the dark here, even the Technicians. it is none of our business, TBH whether they decided to stay open, or capitalize on a hot seller's market and cash out. Honestly, I'd have a hard time resisting the urge to sell that collection during the new pinball price BOOM that we are all experiencing. I think I'd take the money and do something else too. Money talks, and bullshit walks. No blame or resentment here; just a firm understanding that everyone is free to make their own decisions. I would never publish some speculative information about anyone's financial position here. it is a rotten move. You ought to think about how it would feel to have that done to you. I'm sure you wouldn't like it. your post to cosmokramer was also a shitty thing to publlish. Next time, try to think before you type, and take ten deep breaths before attacking fellow pinball lovers. this isn't a personal war forum.

#242 9 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

The Ann Arbor VFW is still doing shows. We had a show in 2020 and we are planning for the 2021 show (Oct 2/3) right now. Nearly 500 pingames too. So it's not all doom and gloom.

I might have to make a trip to ann arbor. If I wasn't such a Michigan Wolverine hater, I would buy my tix tonight.

looking forward to their advertised show here on pinside. Do they publish or advertise the show, and what is the website for the event?

#243 9 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

You're missing the point, man. It's an honor to be allowed full access to such a fantastic collection. We are not prisoners; we are stoked to be able to access such an amazing pinball collection. I'm lucky to know the volunteers and work alongside them for years. Your comment is ridiculous and assumes that none of us have a true passion for the games we love so much, yet cannot own because of whatever reason. The museum was a haven and a paradise for those who were absolutely passionate and enthusiastic about the games; there was nowhere else we'd rather be on any given tech day, believe me. We didn't want money; we wanted to be part of something special and play the classics, and learn technical skills to be able to maintain our own small collections in any way. Those ambitions should not be chastised. In my opinion, the volunteers were the BACKBONE of the MOP; without them, the games would sit idle in a warehouse or storage container rotting away. What we did at MOP was ensure a living relic could live on and provide something amazing to all ticket buyers. Your comment is absolutely dishonorable, and disgraces those who truly care about the nostalgia and history of pinball which we all have enjoyed. It's really the reason we are all here on this website; many of us were hooked as kids and are dying to feel that rush as adults. It is a perpetual urge to feel that way. Our ambition was simple: be part of something special and enjoy every minute of it. there was never a desire for money or credit, only to be part of that amazing team. Try to remember why you love pinball, and look at the volunteers through that lens instead of acting like we were slaves who suffered from Stolkholm Syndrome.

Best Regards,

The Hog Man

#244 9 days ago

So anybody in Cali want to make a bulk buy and make a Pinball Museum 2.0? Considering 1900 pins need to leave in short order, a bulk buy seems more practical than having 1900 individual action bids

#245 9 days ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

What is sad, is that there are many abandon units in malls that could house
    parts of the collection. e.g. Sears unit; empty.

Lots of empty Fry's stores in California.

#246 9 days ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

So anybody in Cali want to make a bulk buy and make a Pinball Museum 2.0? Considering 1900 pins need to leave in short order, a bulk buy seems more practical than having 1900 individual action bids

600-700 pins would be a close number not 1900.

If someone has the cash to cover it I'm sure they can sweep the floor and own it all.

#247 9 days ago

200k for all the pins?

#248 9 days ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

200k for all the pins?

$200k x a lot!

Even if they were $1000 each x 700 = $700k

Of course most are worth a lot more than $1000.

You’re talking millions of dollars worth.

rd

#249 9 days ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Lots of empty Fry's stores in California.

The frys that closed up off the 91 in Anaheim has some parking lot construction going on as of yesterday. The frys closed, being repurposed now.
    I helped build the hospital next to it in my time at grainger industrial supply.

#250 9 days ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I might have to make a trip to ann arbor. If I wasn't such a Michigan Wolverine hater, I would buy my tix tonight.
    looking forward to their advertised show here on pinside. Do they publish or advertise the show, and what is the website for the event?

Ann Arbor VFW Pinball Museum & Pinball Repair

http://vfwpinball.com/

and

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-arbor-michigan-vfw-pinball-show

Advertising is pretty much limited to Pinside.

Clay is delaying ticket sales this year in case he has to pull the plug due to –D. We are expecting to be sold out very very quickly (well we hope). In previous years, the show has sold out months advance.

Proof of COVID vaccination is required to enter the parking lot, and yes this requirement is absolutely legal. VFW is private property, 100% owned by Clay. All of us VFW minions…oops I mean *members*… are vaccinated.

BTW: Technically located in Green Oaks Township, 15 Miles north of Ann Arbor. Clay could have named it “Green Oaks VFW” but there’s probably 20 other “Green Oaks” scattered around the USA. Only one Ann Arbor.

Stay in Brighton, MI., a nice city north of the VFW (and closer then AA)

Doug D

There are 422 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside