Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,625 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 118 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aspects-hummzinger-ultra-hummingbird-feeder@2x (resized).jpg
    20210915_153816 (resized).jpg
    20211022_135504 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155149 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143137 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143007 (resized).jpg
    20211023_142943 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155304 (resized).jpg
    20210915_163811 (resized).jpg
    59524808-C660-4695-82A6-5ED0248EE5D2 (resized).jpeg
    20211022_142145 (resized).jpg
    Paradise Dancer 2 (resized).jpg
    Paradise Dancer 1 (resized).jpg
    656113252 (resized).jpg
    20211016_162138 (resized).jpg
    33CC0B44-32C4-43D1-8D50-BDD752AC81C7.gif

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4625 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 93.
    #151 3 months ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

That makes no sense (city council not allowing them to open but for a few weekends per year). But then again… politics and people. Sigh. Such a shame. Glad I got to visit it once in 2020 for INDISC. I was hoping for many more.

I was under the impression that the place would be open, to the public, at least once
    every two months and then with some special, yearly style, venue celebration.

#152 3 months ago

The VFW Pinball venue has large event restrictions per the Township where it is located. This was the case since day one in order to get the Occupancy Permit.

#153 3 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

One of the main problems was the Banning city council would not allow John to open more than a few weekends a year.
    I don't know exactly what the council's big objection was, but part of it was the Municipal Airport across the street.
    An airport that I never saw a single cesna land or take off.
    Lots of red tape small town BULLSHIT.
    Its actually a small miracle it lasted this long, as said above, the museum was only starting to break even toward the end in 2019.
    Then the world stopped.
    Cheers to John and the crew, it was magical while it lasted.

Well that explains a lot...if u can't operate than its a little tough to make ends meet. A place like this should be able to pay bills.

#154 3 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Occupancy Peemit.

Ah ha. This explains the recent activity.

#155 3 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Well that explains a lot...if u can't operate than its a little tough to make ends meet. A place like this should be able to pay bills.

At least papa was up front with this stuff. Banning always seemed to dance around discussing these limits. Which is why there is so much misinformation floating around wrt to their opening, admission, reporting on it all, etc.

#156 3 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

One of the main problems was the Banning city council would not allow John to open more than a few weekends a year.

So marijuana totally okay, but arcade and pinball machines bad? Weird

#157 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

So marijuana totally okay, but arcade and pinball machines bad? Weird

One of these things will likely make Banning a lot more money than the other.

#158 3 months ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

One of these things will likely make Banning a lot more money than the other.

That might be the case but you know what would have made them more money than they were? Letting the Museum of Pinball be open more frequently

#159 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

That might be the case but you know what would have made them more money than they were getting? Letting the Museum of Pinball be open more frequently

That arcade could be open 24/7/365 and it a noticeable dent in the money weed is gonna bring in.

#160 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That arcade could be open 24/7/365 and it a noticeable dent in the money weed is gonna bring in.

Basically taxation is theft and fuck the government is the only logical conclusion

Another weird point I just realized, is that it was stated:

Quoted from chuckcasey:

The MOP has too many games to be on coin drop.

but in this article talking about the move to Palm Springs it said

Plans for the museum include 1,900 pinball machines and arcade games on display and full-time hours from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Sunday with 60 volunteers and staff,according to the proposal to the planning commission.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2021/04/13/museum-pinball-banning-planning-move-palm-springs-desert-sun/7207069002/?fbclid=IwAR2VPMTYfdu3j9xh3Pd9adrm8k8DFQRDbuBBIZHw_7SEjb3ag5tK6cKuEXE
    Soooooo what's the deal with that? Weird discrepancy

#161 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

At least papa was up front with this stuff. Banning always seemed to dance around discussing these limits. Which is why there is so much misinformation floating around wrt to their opening, admission, reporting on it all, etc.

Well they probably didn't want to complain in public about the restrictions put on them by the city council and then risk having even more restrictions or being shut down all together. It is such a damn shame they were not allowed to be open regularly to the public. I was able to go to Arcade Expo in January 2016. Had a fantastic time and was looking forward to more visits, but unfortunately that did not happen due to Arcade Expo moving to March after that which didn't work for me being much closer to TPF. If they were open regularly like PHOF or at least a few days a week then I could see myself taking an annual vacation to visit the place despite being halfway across the country. It was that special.

#162 3 months ago

We will fight back and step up as a community. We will not tolerate these closures. #PinballForever

#163 3 months ago

My 2c ...

A smaller location in Palm Springs, and a manageable collection of 200 working pins and 50 working arcades would be the way to go.

Tim at PHOF showed that 200 pins and 50 arcades in a smaller building can bring in $1m plus per annum.

Trying to manage “1900” pinballs would be super impossible. I know - it’s hard enough keeping 100 going, and they’re not getting played every day!

Having been to Banning many times, and PHOF many times, I see that most people only play the more popular modern pins all the time. At Banning, it was common to see 100-200 people playing the DMD pins, and absolutely nobody playing an EM.

A collection of 200 (including 20-30 EMs max) would be an ideal size and draw for a place like Palm Springs.

Sell all the rest ASAP, and you’d have 1-2 million of cash in the bank to keep the dream alive.

Just my thoughts. Wishing the best to all involved!

rd

#164 3 months ago

I’ll gladly pay you Tuesday for 1900 pins today

#165 3 months ago

Banning didn't have 1900 pins. they have 1900 *games* (including video.) Their pinball number was around 550 i believe. they were heavily invested in video games.

what was said above seems good... "Tim at PHOF showed that 200 pins and 50 arcades in a smaller building can bring in $1m plus per annum."

At the VFW Ann Arbor museum we have close to 500 pins. It's a *huge* task to keep them all running. Even though every single one is gone through, top to bottom, before it hits the floor. There's just things that you can't see coming. And we're pinball mechanics there (my impression of John Weeks was that he didn't fix games, which makes the whole job a lot harder.) It's difficult to see all things coming.

We had to get special permission from our township to have the VFW open at all. Frankly it wasn't easy, they liked the idea of having a pinball museum that *never* opened. That of course make no sense... they had to be convinced...

#166 3 months ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

An airport that I never saw a single cesna land or take off.
    Lots of red tape small town BULLSHIT.
    Its actually a small miracle it lasted this long, as said above, the museum was only starting to break even toward the end in 2019.
    Then the world stopped.
    Cheers to John and the crew, it was magical while it lasted.

Indeed. Banning is (unfortunately) going to be a ghost town now. In terms of pinball.

Their airport must be far more important than the pinball museum to them. I never saw a single plane take off or land. But the fees probably remain.

It’s too bad i thought it was here to stay.

#167 3 months ago

Sorry it's taken this long to provide an update but I didn't have much to add until specific deadlines had passed and final decisions had been made.

Last night I was fortunate to have dinner with the Museum of Pinball owner and management team which included the owner John Weeks. Here's what I can share:

All deadlines have passed to relocate, obtain a sponsorship, sell to one collector, etc.
    Therefore, all the games will be auctioned in the upcoming months.
    The official announcement will be fore coming.
    You can bid online and/or in person.
    The primary auction will take place in Banning at the Museum of Pinball.
    Pins and vids are being sold via auction only. The collection is "locked" for the auction.
    My next post will include auction details (dates, times, schedule, links, etc.)

To everyone who has ever attended one of our events, we thank you!
    And a VERY special THANK YOU to everyone who volunteered at the Museum.

If you have questions please PM me. I answer all my PMs the best I can with the information I have.

Chuck Casey
    Curator - Museum of Pinball

#168 3 months ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

Sorry it's taken this long to provide an update but I didn't have much to add until specific deadlines had passed and final decisions had been made.
    Last night I was fortunate to have dinner with the Museum of Pinball owner and management team which included the owner John Weeks. Here's what I can share:
    All deadlines have passed to relocate, obtain a sponsorship, sell to one collector, etc.
    Pins and vids are being sold via auction only. The collection is "locked" for the auction.
    If you have questions please PM me. I answer all my PMs the best I can with the information I have.
    Chuck Casey

Well that’s a bummer.

#169 3 months ago

Awful news

#170 3 months ago

I guess theres too much money in commercial cannabis...

RIP Banning...

#171 3 months ago

So sorry to hear this. I only made it Banning once, but it was an incredible experience. Thank you for everything!

#173 3 months ago

Very sad we’ve lost a gem.

#175 3 months ago

With respect to all those involved, this whole thing is really dumb--another big collection gone with almost no forewarning. Why do all the people running these big collections wait until the very last minute to decide to give up and shut everything down. Why not do like Tim at the PHOF, and actually reach out for help before it's too late, and with an actually achievable solution?

Makes no sense to me.

#176 3 months ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

Chuck Casey

Won't it take just as long to auction all the games off, as it will to do any of the other solutions?

#177 3 months ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Won't it take just as long to auction all the games off, as it will to do any of the other solutions?

I think finding someone to actually help them with those solutions is the problem, not so much the time aspect. Who, honestly, is going to dump a bunch of money into a museum of games that the owner doesn't even work on himself? That was barely profitable?

#178 3 months ago

SHAME.... I just purchased a home in Palm Desert. The museum was going to be my first stop after moving in.

I thought I might be able to get some technical help from the crew, to service a few of my machines.

#179 3 months ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

With respect to all those involved, this whole thing is really dumb--another big collection gone with almost no forewarning. Why do all the people running these big collections wait until the very last minute to decide to give up and shut everything down. Why not do like Tim at the PHOF, and actually reach out for help before it's too late, and with an actually achievable solution?
    Makes no sense to me.

^ This ^

#180 3 months ago

This Means we need another arcade here in so cal. (To me.)

I will of course, miss banning. Hope to attend any auction.

#181 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Who, honestly, is going to dump a bunch of money into a museum of games that the owner doesn't even work on himself? That was barely profitable?

No one collects 2000 pieces in the first place with any mindset of 'profitable' - they're always passion projects that they dump tons of money in. Any mindset of MoP breaking even would have been with incredibly slanted numbers... like not including really paying for the building that weeks bought for the project. The property itself cost nearly $4million and they likely setup some sublease deal for the MoP that hopefully was adventangeous to both the non-profit and Mr Weeks. Then in other articles they talk about their electric bill being >$1000 each time they open, etc. I'm sure comments about profitability were probably just actual cash flow.. but within other generous cheats to start with (like all volunteer, reduced/free space, etc).

I mean, he had most of this collection before they even secured the site. Maybe Jeff T or someone will get Mr Weeks to an interview and tell the story of the rise and fall of the MoP...

#182 3 months ago

This reminds me of a guy that is in the oil busyness, he opened a few arcades as a tax write off...
    After a few years, the arcades made a profit so he closed them.

#183 3 months ago

If anyone is curious about the organization's 501(c)3 status here's a tax filing from 2018 found on the IRS' website:
    https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/463094935_201812_990PF_2019110716827730.pdf

Some interesting things I found (I'm not a tax expert so I could very well be interpreting these things wrong or not have the whole picture):
    -Johnathan Weeks is listed as Secretary but worked an average of "1 00" hours per week? Does that mean 1 hour a week?
    -If you look at the breakdown of their "Other Expenses Scheduled", they spent $0 on Electricity Expense?
    -The board members spent $8,048 on "Travel, Conferences and Meetings"

#184 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

If anyone is curious about the organization's 501(c)3 status here's a tax filing from 2018 found on the IRS' website:
    https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/463094935_201812_990PF_2019110716827730.pdf
    Some interesting things I found (I'm not a tax expert so I could very well be interpreting these things wrong or not have the whole picture):
    -Johnathan Weeks is listed as Secretary but worked an average of "1 00" hours per week? Does that mean 1 hour a week?
    -If you look at the breakdown of their "Other Expenses Scheduled", they spent $0 on Electricity Expense?
    -The board members spent $8,048 on "Travel, Conferences and Meetings"

Sure looks like they setup MoP to be a shell to operate from... but not actually give anything to it. They basically have no assets.. but spend over $105k in delivery and maintenance costs. Guess all those game pieces didn't actually belong to the MoP - Mr Weeks just let the MoP play with them and probably pay for their upkeep.

#185 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Sure looks like they setup MoP to be a shell to operate from... but not actually give anything to it. They basically have no assets.. but spend over $105k in delivery and maintenance costs. Guess all those game pieces didn't actually belong to the MoP - Mr Weeks just let the MoP play with them and probably pay for their upkeep.

So the dad is John P Weeks, and the son is Johnathan Weeks. IIRC, the collection was passed down from father to son at some point. They are both on the board of the MoP organization. It looks like they made $56,237 in 2018 if I'm parsing the information correctly (outlined in Part 27a- Excess of revenue over expenses and disbursements)

To your point about no assets, that's what it seems like, considering they have random stuff like TVs, a printer and benches listed in their depreciation schedule, but no mention of arcade or pinball machines in some kind of appreciation schedule (if that's even a thing? correct me if I'm wrong)

#186 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

So the dad is John P Weeks, and the son is Johnathan Weeks. IIRC, the collection was passed down from father to son at some point. They are both on the board of the MoP organization. It looks like they made $56,237 in 2018 if I'm parsing the information correctly (outlined in Part 27a- Excess of revenue over expenses and disbursements)
    To your point about no assets, that's what it seems like, considering they have random stuff like TVs, a printer and benches listed in their depreciation schedule, but no mention of arcade or pinball machines in some kind of appreciation schedule (if that's even a thing? correct me if I'm wrong)

'made' $56k in the foundation, but the foundation isn't the whole operation. That number doesn't seem to account for who paid for the property, who is paying the utilities, etc. Their occupancy line item is only 50k - that should account for all lease and utility expenses. That sure sounds like a 'charitable' number
    They don't list the games as assets in 2018, yet they list expenses that surely would seem to related to buying/selling games.

Its dangerous to read too much into these simplified forms.. but the big lack of 2million in assets sure looks like MoP as an entity didn't own the stuff. So sure hope no auction is labeled as selling off the charities stuff.

#187 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So sure hope no auction is labeled as selling off the charities stuff.

I definitely expect them to use the name of the Museum to generate interest/buzz/bidders, but they might write it in such a way that they describe it as the family's personal collection

#188 3 months ago

Um... no money to fund a move, huh?
    https://www.instagram.com/misterweeks/

Gbds58C.jpgPMkNpHp.jpg

#189 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Moving the collection is not the problem...

#190 3 months ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Moving the collection is not the problem...

One of the chief concerns was the unexpected costs of the Palm Springs location, was it not?

#191 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

One of the chief concerns was the unexpected costs of the Palm Springs location, was it not?

It's kind of a silly game of gotcha you are playing.

Nobody claimed they couldn't personally afford anything, or claimed to be driving a '77 Chevy Nova. Not sure what you are trying to prove here.

What kind of car they have or how much money they have isn't really relevant.

#192 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Thats storing or housing or whatever you want to call it, you said moving. Sorry but I just found your post to be in bad taste...just because they have money doesn't mean they can, should or want to do something.
    Posting pics of Jonathan just to show if he has enough money to keep the collection is a crappy move...

#193 3 months ago

Maybe they just got tired of fixing 1000 games. I know I'm tired of fixing 40. They can do what they want with their stuff.

#194 3 months ago

I consider myself blessed. I was at the last PAPA in Carnegie and the last INDISC in Banning. It is sad to see this happen, but take stock in the fact that other big shows and tournaments will step up. Maybe nothing ever as big as MOP, but others will come!

#195 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to hear museum is done
    Great times

Those are not his cars by the way
    Lambo is mine

#196 3 months ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Great times
    Lambo is mine

You own a Lambo?!?!

Therefore you are personally obligated to financially support the move and maintenance of the Museum of Pinball collection for perpetuity!

#197 3 months ago

I wish I had more space
    I could probably store 200 machines for them
    But they wish to sell all of it

I was there from the beginning of Mop
    And worked on all machines setting them up
    From storage and swap all rubbers out
    Probably did 300 machines
    And around 400 hours or so

#198 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You own a Lambo?!?!
    Therefore you are personally obligated to financially support the move and maintenance of the Museum of Pinball collection for perpetuity!

E95DA0E1-3B16-4D91-AAA6-95879CC29225 (resized).jpeg
    #199 3 months ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Great times
    Lambo is mine

I can confirm this. Robert, thanks for posting.

The clever deep dive Ive seen in this thread im annoyed with.

#200 3 months ago

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 6 figure car with a bumper sticker on it before!!

No shooter lane cliffys for this guy I bet !!

There are 4625 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 93.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside