Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,690 posts
  • 406 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Heretic_9
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

falling-knife-example (resized).jpg
    77995_0 (resized).jpg
    77992_0 (resized).jpg
    marine traffic 2021-10-25 (resized).png
    aspects-hummzinger-ultra-hummingbird-feeder@2x (resized).jpg
    20210915_153816 (resized).jpg
    20211022_135504 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155149 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143137 (resized).jpg
    20211023_143007 (resized).jpg
    20211023_142943 (resized).jpg
    20210915_155304 (resized).jpg
    20210915_163811 (resized).jpg
    59524808-C660-4695-82A6-5ED0248EE5D2 (resized).jpeg
    20211022_142145 (resized).jpg
    Paradise Dancer 2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,690 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 94.
    #1351 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

If anyone's still eyeing that must-have game, but wants a detailed assessment, and maybe better pics, I'll hire myself out. $20 a game.
    But let me know by morning if it's on the block tomorrow (Saturday) and leave your ph# so I can text you details. If there's something specific you're interested in, mention it. I'm not going to be going online during the action.
    I'll do one public one for fun, if anyone wants to choose one.

Gotta pay for that expensive LA gas money you wasted getting there today somehow

#1352 87 days ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Never once did I go up to a pin and say “WOW look at that thing!!”

I was "WOWed" by exactly one game today: never seen one as nice as the one I saw today. So I won't say there aren't any gems.

#1353 87 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Gotta pay for that expensive LA gas money you wasted getting there today somehow

This is definitely feeling like a boondoggle. Brain-storming for constructive things I can do!

#1354 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

If anyone's still eyeing that must-have game

My hopes were pretty much dashed after the I saw the hammer price on lot #1. Love to get the game, but I'm not willing to go double FMV for it. Congrats to the banning and the captain, going to make a small fortune on this one.

#1355 87 days ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

My hopes were pretty much dashed after the I saw the hammer price on lot #1. Congrats to the banning and the captain going to make a small fortune on this one.

I thought it was a bad sign, but still hoped it might have been just the theme-effect. I hoped the same with Superman. After that, I knew it was over.

#1356 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

This is definitely feeling like a boondoggle. Brain-storming for constructive things I can do!

I respect the hustle, but today's prices probably scared off most potential collectors from buying

#1357 87 days ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

It went for 11k, I was a bit off, but still wild.

I'm assuming that's the one that works.

#1358 87 days ago
    Quoted from JWE:

Blaster went for a decent price as well.

Blaster wasn't even running on original boards.

#1359 87 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Did the Blaster have a 19-in-1 in it?

Yes. ...yes it did.

#1360 87 days ago

Day 1 Summary:

Big Cheese of the Day: Buyer of 11 machines for $40,000, mostly common Gottliebs

Mark of the Day: Buyer of Nightmare on Elm Street, $7,250

I didn't get fleeced too bad (Deal of the Day): Nitro Ground Shaker, $2,900 ?

#1361 87 days ago

Oh my word... I have 6 fair bids open that are in line with recently sold games on here. I'm expecting to get out bid by 60 percent. Why are people paying so much for these heavily used games? I'll be happy to sell my collection at these prices. Also don't forget buyers are paying 18% on top of the hammer price ...

#1362 87 days ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Yes. ...yes it did.

OUCH, I hope the buyer knew that... who am I kidding, the buyer probably doesn't even know what that means

#1363 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Day 1 Summary:
    Big Cheese of the Day: Buyer of 11 machines for $40,000, mostly common Gottliebs
    Mark of the Day: Buyer of Nightmare on Elm Street, $7,250

Warp Warp for $1100 and Jump Bug for $1200 over on the vid side seems like pretty standard auction price. $900 for Exerion might be an okay deal, never heard of it.

#1364 87 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Warp Warp for $1100 and Jump Bug for $1200 over on the vid side seems like pretty standard auction price. $900 for Exerion might be an okay deal, never heard of it.

1983 Jaleco fixed shooter. Has three gimmicks: a rapid fire that you charge up with hits using the standard shot, compensating for momentum drift in the player's movement when they stop, and a proper early score-attack system where incrementing values are attained by using the rapid fire as little as possible, and using the standard shot as much and as accurately as possible. Good game.

#1365 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I thought the “didn’t get fleeced too much” deal of the day was the Spirit.

$6300 plus VIG is sorta around what it usually sells for.

After the $8800 Qbert I was expecting it to go for $10k plus.

rd

#1366 87 days ago

I paid 1400 for Power Drift at Banning Auction day 1.
    I gave up on the sega Turbo I wanted and was outbid. it went for 2200. then I went to ebay and bought one for 700.
    I have been keeping a spreadsheet of prices of some games. I think freddy was 5800.
    stargate sold 5300
    close encounters amazing at 3700
    street fighter 4900
    auction guy funny, "academy award winner" barb wire 3600
    rocky 10100
    I was looking to buy a lot at banning auction and get a beltmann truck for 4k to ship as much as fits in it. That idea seems to be vanishing and this auction seems like a train wreck, but cant look away. I heard it was promoted on local news nationwide, hence a lot of buyers who dont know prices are lower on pinside etc. after Lot 1, I was almost hoping technical issues would prevent internet buyers and I would get a red eye flight to LA.
    To Anyone i might be doing business with on here, I can prove who I am and pay for what I want.
    Anyone know how to get some more street cred here? buying a sticker or something? I have hundreds of transactions on ebay, never on here.
    I am address verified.

#1367 87 days ago
    Quoted from RailRider:I paid 1400 for Power Drift at Banning Auction day 1.
    I gave up on the sega Turbo I wanted and was outbid. it went for 2200. then I went to ebay and bought one for 700.
    I have been keeping a spreadsheet of prices of some games. I think freddy was 5800.
    stargate sold 5300
    street fighter 4900
    rocky 10100
    I was looking to buy a lot at banning auction and get a beltmann truck for 4k to ship as much as fits in it. That idea seems to be vanishing and this auction seems like a train wreck, but cant look away. I heard it was promoted on local news nationwide, hence a lot of buyers who dont know prices are lower on pinside etc. after Lot 1, I was almost hoping technical issues would prevent internet buyers and I would get a red eye flight to LA.
    To Anyone i might be doing business with on here, I can prove who I am and pay for what I want.
    Anyone know how to get some more street cred here? buying a sticker or something? I have hundreds of transactions on ebay, never on here.
    I am address verified.

Best way is buying a couple pins from reputable pinsiders in your area. They can vouch for you on this forum. Attend shows etc and get to know pinsiders as many shows have a meet and greet for this group.
    Good luck and welcome to this crazy hobby!

#1368 87 days ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

PHEW $9900 for Sega Samurai

That was probably mine that I sold to them four years ago for $1900 on feebay.

#1369 87 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

$1K for a Rock-Ola Warp-Warp. We smashed up four of them and threw them in the dumpster when they were only five months old. All were in great shape since nobody played them.
    We tried to return them to the distributor but were told they had no value.
    Lesson learned. We never paid for video games within 30 days again.

Compared to these other prices this one is not that bad, collector friend sold one about a year ago for the same price minus these bullshit fees of course.

#1370 87 days ago

The Rocky and Qbert sound like out of hobby buyers specifically looking for those themes or assuming those themes are somehow more collectible.

Is there more to go?

#1371 87 days ago

This is crazy….was at my friends house and his wife came out to tell us the Qbert sold for $8800….Add the juice on that and total cost is about $11K!!! And if not a local buyer throw shipping on top of that.

I loved the hype from the auctioneer. What was it he said about Barb Wire…one of the best machines ever. You have to be skilled to play this game. I couldn’t stop laughing.

#1372 87 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I wonder how many people will dispute their bids when the news stories start running “arcade auction prices hit 5x market values…”

These pinballs are in the market so they will influence future market values.

I don’t think the news would publish something like that after promoting the auction for Captain.

#1373 87 days ago

But to be fair the auction house is just doing their job…attract buyers and make the most money for the seller. To those in the pin/Vid hobby these prices may be high/outrageous but to folks with money just wanting a game for whatever reason it’s convenience…just bid till you win. There is a whole world of collectors with money that buy what they want when they want not caring about the price. Crazy to think there are that many people with that much money. Now of course who is really bidding these up and buying these games we may never really know…we have all heard shady stories of schill bidders and owners buying their own games back. If these are legit sales then they are making good money. This has been interesting for sure so far.

#1374 87 days ago

I woke up singing the Queen song,

I want it all,
    I want it all,
    I want it all, and
    I WANT IT NOW!

It's evident the bidders don't care about anything but their newly-bought "street cred".

#1375 87 days ago

Watching some of the archived stream from yesterday for Arcade auctions.

I'm glad I chose not to try as I have two examples of silly prices:

1) Williams Stargate Arcade Hammer price: $1,800

2) Williams Robotron Arcade Hammer price: $3,500

WTF??? To put into perspective.. I tried to sell my Stargate at the KLOV website for $400 and no one bought it.

Someone paid $3,500 for Robotron that had terrible cabinet condition?? I paid $2,000 for a clean all original Robotron with additional content. This is insane!!!!

#1376 87 days ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

I want it all,
    I want it all,
    I want it all, and
    I WANT IT NOW!
    It's evident the bidders don't care about anything but their newly-bought "street cred".

we're still talking about pinball games right

#1377 87 days ago

My first pin I ever bought was at an estate auction. 1957 Gottlieb Silver. I thought I was so smart I even looked up the price in the Pinball Pricing Guide. $1600 ! Cool I have a lot of room here. Bought it for $500 and was essentially self fleeced. Playfield had been repainted heavily - didn’t notice. Outholes had so much wear they were 50 % bigger than they were supposed to be. Back glass was flakier than a box of corn flakes. Plastics were melted beyond repair. I still have it at my arcade. $300 to a tech to actually get it working before I knew what the hell I was doing. And guess what it now is a $1500 machine. Replaced the cabinet, the playfield, the plastics, the backglass, bought a full second machine to make one. Why ? I’m an idiot. And it’s really a kinda awful game - pretty to look at though. But damnit it’s staying in the arcade as a monument to my stupidity. My second game was an immaculate Slick Chick for $500. I learned fast. I can easily expect a lot of these buyers are gonna unpack their new shiny and say to themselves “What the f*ck did I just pay $5000 for ?” Much like I did. Of course I’m an idiot and doubled and tripled down. Many may do the same. TNT may have a lot of work ahead of them.

Lots of calls seeking to return and that’s when Captains starts to rely on those good lawyers they paid to draft the contract language. You know the check boxes people filled out on the website when they registered but didn’t brother to read. Oh well they get over $1M out of this so they got nothing to worry about.

#1378 87 days ago
    Quoted from RailRider:

When I was watching last nite, that seemed to be one of the few game prices that kinda made sense. I was like “damn, no love for Power Drift!” More obscure than Outrun, I’m sure it’s a tough game to find these days. Congrats!

#1379 87 days ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Watching some of the archived stream from yesterday for Arcade auctions.
    I'm glad I chose not to try as I have two examples of silly prices:
    1) Williams Stargate Arcade Hammer price: $1,800
    2) Williams Robotron Arcade Hammer price: $3,500
    WTF??? To put into perspective.. I tried to sell my Stargate at the KLOV website for $400 and no one bought it.
    Someone paid $3,500 for Robotron that had terrible cabinet condition?? I paid $2,000 for a clean all original Robotron with additional content. This is insane!!!!

I guess video game newbees are even less informed than pinball NOOBS. They probably figure there should be some parity in pricing with pinball even though a video game is just an empty cabinet with a CPU board, power supply and monitor. In hind sight with so many people online new to this hobby, it was probably smart to auction off a bunch of pins first before the video games.

Its also nice to know my Spanish Eyes is now worth well over $2000 even though I only have $500 invested.

#1380 87 days ago

The classic Sterns go up tonight, will be interesting to see what they pull.

#1381 87 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I guess video game newbees are even less informed than pinball NOOBS. They probably figure there should be some parity in pricing with pinball even though a video game is just an empty cabinet with a CPU board, power supply and monitor. In hind sight with so many people online new to this hobby, it was probably smart to auction off a bunch of pins first before the video games.
    Its also nice to know my Spanish Eyes is now worth well over $2000 even though I only have $500 invested.

They’re just in their own world. Console games have been going for pinball money. Never made any sense when you can literally play the same exact game in multiple ways with a ROM. If someone wants to brag about their rare NES game in a shelf, whatever - I’m playing it on an Everdrive lol

#1382 87 days ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

I want it all,
    I want it all,
    I want it all, and
    I WANT IT NOW!

Funny, Queen was playing last night here.....I had not done this in like 20 years!

Reliving the Video Game Play till 4 AM at 7-11's!

Another note was a story from Super Auctions, and the Need to Inspect.
    A friend bought a secret Service years ago....a Newbie.
    The Auctioneer said after not booting, "It needs a Fuse".
    When he got it home, half of the guts in the Cab were missing!

People will be getting surprises when they get these home!

#1383 87 days ago

These prices are gonna justify all kinds of remakes!!!

#1384 87 days ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Chicago Gaming Company proudly presents:

Q-BERT

Now with extra large OLED score displays
    Orange and Purple powder coat
    Playable 3D Topper where Q-Bert jumps from square to square

#1385 87 days ago

This crap has been happening at amusement auctions for decades - noobs overbid for that one game for their basement.

The internet has just made it global.

#1386 87 days ago

Had not thought about that, but the chip shortage that has already halted major production lines for cars a few times -- and is projected to continue for another year or more -- extends to various other products. Take a look at the delivery schedule for the Fathom remake (orders sold out, for some time now), which is likely to get pushed back (?), and possible similar issues for new Sterns.

#1387 87 days ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

Had not thought about that, but the chip shortage that has already halted major production lines for cars a few times -- and is projected to continue for another year or more -- extends to various other products. Take a look at the delivery schedule for the Fathom remake (orders sold out, for some time now), which is likely to get pushed back (?), and possible similar issues for new Sterns.

I'm half expecting some manufacturing to return to richer nations where there is more reliable infrastructure. Turns out that places around the world with the cheapest wages are often the most susceptible to climate change and environmental catastrophe. We'll see how a desire for "more stable supply chains" effects things.
    ANYWAYS, today we get to watch Andromeda and Cyclopes sell!
    plus Twilight Zone and Addams Family GOLD

#1388 87 days ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

There is a whale out here. Watched one guy pick up 11 pins, totalling $32,000 hammer, that's about $40,000.
    Not sure what to make of this guy, they're not astute picks: includes mostly common Gottliebs and EMs people are making incredulous comments about.

It is Mr. Bronco?

Has to be. Just has to be.

#1389 87 days ago

anyone see any pin sell without counterbids? where the first price, whatever it was, sold it?

#1390 87 days ago
    Quoted from RailRider:

stargate sold 5300
    street fighter 4900
    rocky 10100
    I am address verified.

I mean now that people know you will pay $2k for a Power Drift I'm sure the sellers here will be lining up at your door.

#1391 87 days ago

Manufacturers are going to wonder why nobody is buying their Rocky remake for $8k.

#1392 87 days ago

I was reviewing the hammer prices and even though there was no doubt in my mind that there weren't going to be any deals, I was *still* surprised at the absurd prices...

Then it hit me that those prices didn't even take into consideration the auction fee or tax!

Unbelievable.

#1393 87 days ago

Could be more Whales joining the pod today?

#1394 87 days ago

This is why they needed to move faster and strike while the iron is hot. They had good bidders… the longer an event runs the harder it is to keep that engagement.

It will be interesting to see how this event evolves over the coming sessions

#1395 87 days ago

No whales or clueless noobs are going to be superstitious about purchasing on 9/11 ? What could go wrong ?!

#1397 87 days ago
    Quoted from Clnilsen:

Interesting sign of things to come? ebay.com link: The Pinball Museum 1982 Baby Pacman pinball video Super rare Grail Bally

"Super Rare"

#1398 87 days ago
    Quoted from Biju:

"Super Rare"

only 7000 produced

#1399 87 days ago

To anyone thinking these are mint games. Unless they came to MOP that way, they are not. MOP had no full time staff. All volunteers. Nothing was restored. The goal was getting it back into playable condition and representing what an average game looked like at the time it would have been out for play.

If MOP had become something bigger, made money to cover hiring staff, maybe game restoration could have been a thing.

There was also about 20 pinball techs, and 4 arcade techs. With over 1600 games, we had to pick and choose what best to spend our time on.

#1400 87 days ago

The old days of 1990 or so. I worked a little bit for Pinball Warehouse. He had a Rocky in the corner for 475.00. It was their for maybe a year and no one bought it. I sold it on a Saturday and Big Al was out of town at a toy show. I called him and let him know the Rocky finally sold.
    He was happy as a clam to see it go.

There are 4,690 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 94.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside