(Topic ID: 36720)

Banned!

By bigehrl

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WOW.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I just went back and read that thread. If others weren't banned for their comments towards other members of this forum the mods really should consider what the point of a ban is.

Why that thread was allowed to devolve like it did is another question.

From what I have read here, three moderators were on the person banned after warnings for other things. Not just one thread, though that may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Others in that thread may have been warned too for all we know. But not enough to be banned under the current system.

LTG : )

#52 11 years ago

You can also get banned if you say something that Lloyd dont like. When i called his friend out on a bad deal, pinball related, i called him a name, and lloyd complained to the moderators about it and i was warned.

Earlier it says that it takes 3 moderators, but i know that in the thread that i am talking about, only one person publically voiced a complaint in the thread, and that was Lloyd, There were many people that posted that the seller i was referring to had done the exact same thing that i was warning others of. But because i called him a name in my post, the whole thread was locked

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

three topics I never touch, not even on FB:
    1. gun control
    2. religion
    3. politics

There is no winner

Wiser words never spoken

#54 11 years ago

People are talking about gun stuff here? It's a pinball site. He should be banned.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

You can also get banned if you say something that Lloyd dont like. When i called his friend out on a bad deal, pinball related, i called him a name, and lloyd complained to the moderators about it and i was warned.

Earlier it says that it takes 3 moderators, but i know that in the thread that i am talking about, only one person publically voiced a complaint in the thread, and that was Lloyd, There were many people that posted that the seller i was referring to had done the exact same thing that i was warning others of. But because i called him a name in my post, the whole thread was locked

when you point one finger there are three pointing back at you. Name calling never acomplishes anything. You have every right to voice your opinion and say if you had a bad experience with a seller and warn others, but there is no need to bring name callign into it.

#56 11 years ago

No one said anyone couldn't say anything.
    Just on this forum, where you agreed to the rules.
    If it takes votes from 3 different moderators, it is hard to say
    someone is being singled out.

This forum is for PINBALL, and not politics, religion, etc.

Robin is trying to keep this forum a useful place. You can express
    your opinion, but it needs to relate to pinball, ie the best way to do something,
    the best suppliers, the best LEDs, etc.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

People are talking about gun stuff here? It's a pinball site. He should be banned.

Read the thread or posts if you are going to say someone should be banned. The entire thread was about guns. He was banned for how he chose to make his points.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from BigBird0000:

This forum is for PINBALL, and not politics, religion, etc.
    Robin is trying to keep this forum a useful place. You can express
    your opinion, but it needs to relate to pinball

That's not entirely correct. There's a sub-section of the forum called "The off-topic bar: In this forum you can talk about fun stuff that doesn't necessarily have to do with the silver ball."

#59 11 years ago

So TFA got banned for a week - big deal. I could feel his blood pressure rising thru the PC screen with each of his posts. Let the moderators do their job and give him some time to chill out before he has a stroke. You never know, the ban may have saved his life.

#60 11 years ago

As far as I know TFA is the first member to get banned under the new 3 ban vote system,
    it is what it is guys and with 350 ppl on forum - not that bad 1/350

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Simple solution: Don't wonder into the "Off Topic" area.

A mans got to know his limitations.....

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Read the thread or posts if you are going to say someone should be banned. The entire thread was about guns. He was banned for how he chose to make his points.

Right...

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I just went back and read that thread. If others weren't banned for their comments towards other members of this forum the mods really should consider what the point of a ban is.

Bear in mind, it's very possible that other people received ban votes from that thread. In TheFamilyArcade's case, it was his third and final vote.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Why that thread was allowed to devolve like it did is another question.

This is a good question indeed. We probably need to be more diligent in the future when it comes to closing down threads such as that before they spiral out of control.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

well that will give him a week to play some pinball, rather than talk about it

Yup. Maybe he will realize TF sucks!

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Yup. Maybe he will realize TF sucks!

lol!! its a tough room here : )

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We probably need to be more diligent in the future when it comes to closing down threads such as that before they spiral out of control.

What's the point? You'll just be answering basically the same questions in one of the many "how come this thread was closed?...how come they are closing threads? where's my thread...etc etc.

Now it's the mods fault that people can;t have a discussion without spiraling out of control? Recock.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

That isn't entirely true, but then neither was your post. And why that thread was locked.

You weren't banned, where you ?

A big difference between a thread being locked and a person being banned.

Lloyd

#68 11 years ago

Actually the "Off Topic" area should be the one area that is loosely moderated if at all and all legal topics are allowed , ranting behavior or name calling still not allowed.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

We probably need to be more diligent in the future when it comes to closing down threads such as that before they spiral out of control.

Threads about guns should be banned. Period. It's just as sensitive of a subject as politics and religion. The internet is littered with discussions about guns gone bad. In some cases, those discussions have helped to implode a group or bulletin board. Look what has become of the nascar usenet group:

http://tinyurl.com/bx2sozw

You guys leaving that thread out there is like baiting bad behavior. You're asking for it. Thinking you can keep gun threads in line is being naive IMO. Nothing personal. It's just I've seen it plenty of times before. Gun threads never turn out good unless it's a gun related board. You shouldn't expect any different here.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What's the point? You'll just be answering basically the same questions in one of the many "how come this thread was closed?...how come they are closing threads? where's my thread...etc etc.
    Now it's the mods fault that people can;t have a discussion without spiraling out of control? Recock.

I think it's just a matter of being consistent and that thread was certainly beyond the point that many other "on topic" threads have been locked.

#71 11 years ago

I come to Pinside to get away from gun and political talk.

#72 11 years ago

Wow what a mess.

#73 11 years ago

What if you declared a special unmoderated section that didn't show its threads on the main forum page? I know some other forums that do similar things, mostly so people can let loose, and hidden so people who don't want to see it aren't forced to.

Call it The Family Arcade

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

What if you declared a special unmoderated section that didn't show its threads on the main forum page? I know some other forums that do similar things, mostly so people can let loose, and hidden so people who don't want to see it aren't forced to.

You can already disable OT threads.

#75 11 years ago

When I first saw the thread in question, I reported it and asked for it to be removed. It had already become political.

I'll stand toe to toe with anyone on politics, and I'm well versed enough in the finer points of debate as well as studied in the facts to hand people their rear-ends on a consistent basis.

But the reality is, rules are rules, and this board is supposed to be non political.

If you want to let it become political, I'm all for it.

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow what a mess.

That used to be one of my favorite boards. It's not quite as bad during the season, but it's still a shell of the group it used to be and off topic BS dominates the group. Exhibit A why pinside should ban discussions about guns.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

or call it RGP

Really Grouchy People

#78 11 years ago

Can't we just all get along, no sense in getting your hair in fuss!

WOW.jpgWOW.jpg

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

You guys leaving that thread out there is like baiting bad behavior. You're asking for it. Thinking you can keep gun threads in line is being naive IMO. Nothing personal

Dude , it's the 3rd one
    everytime we close a gun thread a new one pops up
    what do you want us to do kick ppl out or close the OT section?

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

what do you want us to do kick ppl out or close the OT section?

Quoted from phishrace:

Threads about guns should be banned. Period. It's just as sensitive of a subject as politics and religion.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That isn't entirely true, but then neither was your post. And why that thread was locked.
    You weren't banned, where you ?
    A big difference between a thread being locked and a person being banned.
    Lloyd

I didnt lie about anything in my post, I gave my facts, others replied that the same thing had been done to them. You tell me what i lied about and i will gladly apologize. Just like in this post, I said that i was given a warning, not that i was banned. And now you are going to say that the thread was locked because it was not true. If that was the case, then why are almost every post on here not locked, because many of them have information that is not true. It was locked because i called your friend Greg Kemenitz a name, which violated the rules.

I understand that you were sticking up for your friend, but we are two different people and handle things differently. If a friend of mine wrongs someone, I would tell my friend that i have higher expectations of my friends and suggest that they handle things better. But instead, you chose the other side to stick up for a friend and that because that person is your friend that they are right. As you blames me in my thread that there are two sides of the story. I gave my side, and was 100% factual. The other side didnt say anything, but of course i had to be the wrong side. I know that alot of people will give me hell for going against you, some here think you are a god or something. But we all have different opinions. I like many of the things that you have said and done on the various groups, and in fact, my post was actually a positive thing saying that i wished your name would not have been associated with greg. But instead, you attacked me calling me a liar and such. Just go through all your back emails and see how many times people have needed your help in getting things from greg. Let me kow if it is more than just me, if it was just me, Im sorry for stirring it up, If others have needed your assistance, then maybe you will see the pattern and not call the others liars.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Threads about guns should be banned. Period. It's just as sensitive of a subject as politics and religion.

It's tricky, because a thread simply about guns doesn't necessarily break any Pinside rules. The problem is that it always, and I do mean ALWAYS, becomes political. For this reason, I agree with you that the topic should indeed be banned.

#83 11 years ago

we aren't about to change / modify the rules for one guy (TFA)
    when 99% of those who come to the site are cool with the way it is now.

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

But instead, you attacked me calling me a liar and such.

Wow.

Lloyd

#85 11 years ago

Unsavory folks movin' in. Yep.

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's tricky, because a thread simply about guns doesn't necessarily break any Pinside rules. The problem is that it always, and I do mean ALWAYS, becomes political. For this reason, I agree with you that the topic should indeed be banned.

It's semantics really. Discussions about politics or religion are against the written pinside rules. Discussions about guns should also be against the rules. Members can be banned, certain topics are against the rules (not banned). I would suggest changing the written rules and sending out a message about it. There will be some backlash, but the vast majority of folks will understand and agree that it's a good idea.

#87 11 years ago

Didn't FlipperFingers get banned for creating an alternate identity to start that thread on Race and Pinball?

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

we aren't about to change / modify the rules for one guy (TFA)
    when 99% of those who come to the site are cool with the way it is now.

But it's not just TFA. Whenever a gun topic comes up, it always becomes political. People have shown time and time again that they are unable to stick strictly to the topic, and insist on injecting their political views into the thread. As a result, we are forced to start handing out ban votes, closing threads, etc ... It seems pretty clear at this point that, by its very nature, the topic of guns is extremely controversial. Wouldn't it just be better for everyone in the long run if we just banned the topic and moved on?

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Unsavory folks movin' in. Yep.

And so far, you have proved to me that your one of them.

I would really like to NOT have to think that.

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

When people that do not like guns understand that they can be talked about like a pinball machine or a simple tool we are fine. I actually closed that thread for a while and opened it back up when it calmed down at one point. If you look you will see I also kept mentioning the topic was guns. I was told to calm down at one point.

Basically guns are a hobby for many and a family can do them. I you do not like them fine, but don't attack those that do. I do not bash the guys who want to talk NFL. Why have it? Because we all have several hobbies. Same goes for skateboards, electric cars, NBA, NHL, pets or beer. Let the people in those hobbies enjoy them with other pinsiders and stay out if you are going to go negative.

Back to beer, lets all go have one right now. Cheers!

Post edited by absocountry2 : Spelling

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

When people that do not like guns understand that they can be takled about like a pinball machine or a simple tool we are fine. I actually closed that thread for a while and opened it back up when it calmed down at one point. If you look you will see I also kept mentioning the topic was guns. I was told to calm down at one point.
    Basically guns are a hobby for many and a family can do them. I you do notliek them fine, but don't attch those that do. I do not bash the guys who want to talk NFL. Why have it? Because we all have several hobbies. Same goes for skateboards, electric cars, NBA, NHL, pets or beer. Let the people in those hobbies enjoy them with other pinsiders and stay out if you are going to go negative.

Looks like you've already imbibed.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i think the gun thread is very political and in clear violation of the no politics rule, myself. Can i start posting nude titty pics now?

I think 'no politics' rules are stupid (Pinside is far from the only place with such a rule), and people who get upset by those debates or can't handle them, should just stay out. One of the reasons the world is in such a mess is that the common man rarely discusses politics - people should be exposed to raw dialogue between those who are governed rather than what the TV feeds them. On a forum I run we allow people to have political arguments if they like, it's never been an issue.

Particularly liked the part about lost karma. Very funny.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I come to Pinside to get away from gun and political talk.

Generally speaking so do I, which is why I don't click on those topics, in the off topic section.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

But it's not just TFA. Whenever a gun topic comes up, it always becomes political. People have shown time and time again that they are unable to stick strictly to the topic, and insist on injecting their political views into the thread. As a result, we are forced to start handing out ban votes, closing threads, etc ... It seems pretty clear at this point that, by its very nature, the topic of guns is extremely controversial. Wouldn't it just be better for everyone in the long run if we just banned the topic and moved on?

I totally agree on this,
    Just like religion ect there seems to be no grey area possible on this subject, therefore your for, or against, no surrender.
    Thats a shame and a caricature.
    Has no place here.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

When people that do not like guns understand that they can be takled about like a pinball machine or a simple tool we are fine. I actually closed that thread for a while and opened it back up when it calmed down at one point. If you look you will see I also kept mentioning the topic was guns. I was told to calm down at one point.
    Basically guns are a hobby for many and a family can do them. I you do notliek them fine, but don't attch those that do. I do not bash the guys who want to talk NFL. Why have it? Because we all have several hobbies. Same goes for skateboards, electric cars, NBA, NHL, pets or beer. Let the people in those hobbies enjoy them with other pinsiders and stay out if you are going to go negative.

Shoehorned that in nicely. Another fine example for the board to follow, sir mod. Always blame "them". Always. Four stars. Would read again.

#96 11 years ago

Guys
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity. Can't we all just get along . I'm guilty of being a pain in the ass as much as the next guy but most of the time it's all in good fun.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

And so far, you have proved to me that your one of them.
    I would really like to NOT have to think that.

Well, what can we do so that you don't? This is #1 on my priority list as of now.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Didn't FlipperFingers get banned for creating an alternate identity to start that thread on Race and Pinball?

Worst thread deception Ive ever seen, It wasn't getting crazy like he wanted, then he came as his normal identity with a foolish comment to light it on fire.

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I think 'no politics' rules are stupid (Pinside is far from the only place with such a rule), and people who get upset by those debates or can't handle them, should just stay out. One of the reasons the world is in such a mess is that the common man rarely discusses politics - people should be exposed to raw dialogue between those who are governed rather than what the TV feeds them.

Nothing wrong with a good discussion about politics, in the right place. A pinball forum isn't the right place. There are tens of thousands of political forums out there. Same goes for guns. Hell, there's probably at least a hundred that combine discussions of both politics and guns. Google is your friend. This ain't the place.

Quoted from system11:

On a forum I run we allow people to have political arguments if they like, it's never been an issue.

Does it have as many members as pinside does? Is it completely public, like pinside?

#100 11 years ago

remember this is an international Pinball site
    if you open the door to politics you will get it from all parts of the globe

nope - lets keep it shut

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/banned/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.