6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinball-is-great
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WOW.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

as many of you know, this site is different than RGP in one important way...

no, it's not the class of characters - both sites have most of the same people. it's the moderators and the ability for them to edit, censor, or silence anyone who they feel is violating the site’s rules.

recently, a member by the name of 'thefamilyarcade' received a one week ban, and a 20% reduction in his karma points for speaking his mind on a thread regarding gun control laws.

now, i don’t necessarily agree with everything this member has to say. as a matter of fact, he’s probably only one chromosome removed from a mumbling baboon (just kidding nelson).

but the rules for the site cover many things, including, talking politics.

please see the rules for reference: http://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules

robin, i love this site, you do a great job w it. i’m super happy it exists, because it enhances pinball. but the one achilles heal it contains is the right for the moderators to make judgments on what’s offensive, derogatory, mean-spirited, etc… did nelson get angry and bark??? probably! but he did it in a thread that by your own rules, was a violation to begin with. Not to mention, i’ve personally witnessed, and participated in many unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, sexually-oriented, racially offensive, and profane posts on a daily basis from countless members of this site. but they haven’t been banned as far as i know.

what’s good for the goose, is good for the gander. i have no idea what a gander is, but you get the idea…

censorship (especially when it’s selective) doesn’t help anyone. people will be people. my view is… let the community do the work and let the chips fall where they may. in the end, only the strong will survive.

thanks for listening, and keep up the good work robin.

-jon

#2 6 years ago

Thats why i haven't heard how good TF is in a few days.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Exactly what I thought.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

as many of you know, this site is different than RGP in one important way...
    no, it's not the class of characters - both sites have most of the same people. it's the moderators and the ability for them to edit, censor, or silence anyone who they feel is violating the site’s rules.
    recently, a member by the name of 'thefamilyarcade' received a one week ban, and a 20% reduction in his karma points for speaking his mind on a thread regarding gun control laws.
    now, i don’t necessarily agree with everything this member has to say. as a matter of fact, he’s probably only one chromosome removed from a mumbling baboon (just kidding nelson).
    but the rules for the site cover many things, including, talking politics.
    please see the rules for reference: http://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules
    robin, i love this site, you do a great job w it. i’m super happy it exists, because it enhances pinball. but the one achilles heal it contains is the right for the moderators to make judgments on what’s offensive, derogatory, mean-spirited, etc… did nelson get angry and bark??? probably! but he did it in a thread that by your own rules, was a violation to begin with. Not to mention, i’ve personally witnessed, and participated in many unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, sexually-oriented, racially offensive, and profane posts on a daily basis from countless members of this site. but they haven’t been banned as far as i know.
    what’s good for the goose, is good for the gander. i have no idea what a gander is, but you get the idea…
    censorship (especially when it’s selective) doesn’t help anyone. people will be people. my view is… let the community do the work and let the chips fall where they may. in the end, only the strong will survive.
    thanks for listening, and keep up the good work robin.
    -jon

A gander is an adult male goose.

#5 6 years ago

Jon- see you in a week.

#6 6 years ago

We can't catch everything especially with the growing traffic. Overall I think Pinside and it's team has done a great job at handling the growth and keeping Pinside classy. Big thanks to Robin and the team for their efforts in running my favorite site on the web!

Moved to Pinside Website sub-forum.

#7 6 years ago

OMG not the karma points : o

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

With all due respect, Jon, TheFamilyArcade was not banned solely because of his gun control comments. It takes three votes from three different moderators to get banned, and he received those votes over the course of a couple weeks.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

he’s probably only one chromosome removed from a mumbling baboon

A: there is no probably about it.
    B: as a rep of the lower primate family, I resent the comparison.

#10 6 years ago

There are moderators here?

Must post some naughty links and antagonisr them

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

OMG not the karma points : o

I'm saving mine up towards a BBB, I almost cashed them in for some invisiglass but I really want the BBB.

#12 6 years ago

i think the gun thread is very political and in clear violation of the no politics rule, myself. Can i start posting nude titty pics now?

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

You realize humans are primates too?

#15 6 years ago

he did say 'lower primate'

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

he did say 'lower primate'

He did indeed. Touche.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i think the gun thread is very political and in clear violation of the no politics rule, myself. Can i start posting nude titty pics now?

Only if they aren't yours.... Isn't that what got you in trouble in those AV forums you frequent?

#18 6 years ago

Besides, it is not a total ban. Just a week that he cannot post on pinside

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

censorship (especially when it’s selective) doesn’t help anyone.

I always enjoy your posts Jon but the whole "internet censorship" issue is just so old and overplayed.
    This isn't a website run by our tax dollars (or your missing donation heart), this is a private website run by people, and you follow what they say, or you leave, It isn't a hard thing to comprehend.
    This also isn't a court of law with ex post facto law. If the owners/mods say stop doing something, and the only defense is "Buuuut Mooooommmm...you never said we can't do that..." is just childish. Sure I guess having a week timeout is kind of childish too but whatever. You piss too many people off you get banned...nothing new for this site or anywhere else.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I was thinking the same thing. Stern may pay to have his ban diminished. lol

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I always enjoy your posts Jon but the whole "internet censorship" issue is just so old and overplayed.
    This isn't a website run by out tax dollars, this is a private website run by people, and you follow what they say, or you leave, It isn't a hard thing to comprehend.
    This also isn't a court of law with ex post facto law. If the owners/mods say stop doing something, and the only defense is "Buuuut Mooooommmm...you never said we can't do that..." is just childish.

This is exactly correct of course so I couldn't agree more.

I've been on so many different internet discussion forums it isn't funny, and on every one of them you always have a number of members that will raise "censorship" or even the 1st Amendment, neither of which apply to a moderated privately run forum.

Bottom line, we do *not* have any "rights" here.

#22 6 years ago

There is a reason I avoided that gun thread like the plague. It's no surprise it resulted in a ban for someone. I'm into pinball to have fun. If I want to discuss issues that sensitive there are plenty of places to do it. And I prefer not to do it here.

I would much prefer to watch people fight over JJP and Stern. I find that truly entertaining.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

With all due respect, Jon, TheFamilyArcade was not banned solely because of his gun control comments. It takes three votes from three different moderators to get banned, and he received those votes over the course of a couple weeks.

you say toe-motto..

it's still "selective censorship". i understand that the bill of rights doesn't apply to a private forum. but if you have a rule, it should apply to everyone. myself included.

anyways, i'm not interested on a ruling on this particular case. the purpose of my post is for me to express my opinion on how the site can continue to be improved.

thanks.

-jon

#24 6 years ago

Don't belittle the karma points. I just traded mine in for a first class upgrade on United. Wait a second. That didn't happen.

#25 6 years ago

In all my time here on Pinside, I've only set one user to 'ignore' ....imagine the irony finding this thread.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Gorilla = lower primate ?? Got to be kidding. One of the highest primates, if not the highest
    My former work was 10 meters away from the local zoo. Loved the Gorilla. But...don't mess with a gorilla. Ever. Cool dude until...

#27 6 years ago

I agree 100% that censorship is bad. End of story.

That said, I think moderation should exist to limit/eliminate blatant harassment or bullying, as most of it is pointless anyway.

-BB

#28 6 years ago

Well, the family arcade does seem belligerent and I've had threads where he tries to goad an argument. I'm not entirely surprised by this.

#29 6 years ago

"Buuuuut Mooooom" SLAP!

There's more common sense here than at my kid's school. My wife had to pick up my 12 year old son from school because he was walking in the halls during class time "and we have no way of controlling him".

...but that's another controversial topic.

Get on with the LED arguments!

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Well, the family arcade does seem belligerent and I've had threads where he tries to goad an argument. I'm not entirely surprised by this.

Couldn't agree more.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

anyways, i'm not interested on a ruling on this particular case. the purpose of my post is for me to express my opinion on how the site can continue to be improved.

I think most people are saying it doesn't need to be changed in the manner you say, because it wouldn't be an improvement. I think we have some great discussions when things stay civil, and the rules promote that.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

It's still "selective censorship". I understand that the bill of rights doesn't apply to a private forum. but if you have a rule, it should apply to everyone, myself included.

Anyways, i'm not interested on a ruling on this particular case. The purpose of my post is for me to express my opinion on how the site can continue to be improved.

And we appreciate it. Obviously, the moderators aren't infallible. We do the best we can. I don't think any of us sets out to be "selective" when it comes to patrolling the site, but the fact of the matter is when a particular user decides to push the envelope time and time again even after being warned, we are obviously watching them more closely.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This isn't a website run by our tax dollars (or your missing donation heart)

Yeah, Bigehrl, if you're gonna call out the mods (a big no no), at the very least throw Robin a little coin...

#34 6 years ago

You should start your own forum, growing the membership exponentially over the course of several years, and play by the rules you deem fair at your new place. Good luck to you!

#35 6 years ago

Oh, and you should definitely call your new forum "The Achilles Heal"!

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

You should start your own forum, growing the membership exponentially over the course of several years, and play by the rules you deem fair at your new place. Good luck to you!

this reply is harassing, vaguely threatening, objectionable, and simply not being nice. i'll expect to not hear from you for the next week.

#37 6 years ago

well that will give him a week to play some pinball, rather than talk about it

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

it's still "selective censorship". i understand that the bill of rights doesn't apply to a private forum. but if you have a rule, it should apply to everyone. myself included.
    thanks.
    -jon

For Everybody, one thing you guys do not know is who actually gets ban votes. If you have one, you will know. You will never see other peoples bans or votes unless they have a friend post it or they mention themselves before getting three votes for three DIFFERENT mods. Do you know how hard it is to actually get three mods to post ban votes for a person? There are warnings first as well.

All in all, the site is great! Most (99.9%) do not go over the edge. Love this place.

#39 6 years ago

There's no perfect system, and it's always going to come to a judgement call. With all the crap that gets posted here, it's surprising to me that this is the first ban I've heard of. In order to piss off three different mods on separate occasions over a period of weeks, it's almost like you're trying to instigate something. I've met Nelson a few times IRL, and he's really a pretty cool guy, but I'd have to guess he probably deserved the suspension.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

this reply is harassing, vaguely threatening, objectionable, and simply not being nice. i'll expect to not hear from you for the next week.

What about this thread. I feel it is threating to the mods for screaming censorship, objectionable, and not nice. You do not have all the info, just what you were told.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

This reply is harassing, vaguely threatening, objectionable, and simply not being nice. i'll expect to not hear from you for the next week.

Gambit's point is valid, although it certainly could have been said in a nicer way.

Let's please try to keep it civil, guys. Even if you don't agree with him, Jon has the same right to express himself as anyone else on Pinside. I also really don't like it when people harass someone for not donating to the site. Donations have been, and always will be completely voluntary. Robin has made this clear time and time again.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

well that will give him a week to play some pinball, rather than talk about it

I bet he'll be Transformed when he returns.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I agree 100% that censorship is bad. End of story.

There is always Rec Games Pinball.

When you joined Pinside, rules were in place and you agreed to abide by them.

LTG : )

#44 6 years ago

I'd also like to add that it is extremely rare that someone sends me an email complaining about another member. In the case of TheFamilyArcade, I received not one, but three emails from people who were extremely offended by his comments.

#45 6 years ago

I see what you did there!

#46 6 years ago

Did anyone else get a temporary ban from that thread?

#47 6 years ago

I just want to know where brokedad is??

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Did anyone else get a temporary ban from that thread?

As far as I know, there have only ever been two people who received a temporary ban. The other one was back in November.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

As far as I know, there have only ever been two people who received a temporary ban. The other one was back in November.

I just went back and read that thread. If others weren't banned for their comments towards other members of this forum the mods really should consider what the point of a ban is.

Why that thread was allowed to devolve like it did is another question.

#50 6 years ago

three topics I never touch, not even on FB:
    1. gun control
    2. religion
    3. politics

There is no winner

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.95
    $ 60.00
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 64.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 132.00
    There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside