2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PiperPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4458 (resized).PNG
IMG_4457 (resized).PNG
IMG_4459 (resized).PNG

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The "Affordable Care Act" aka Obamacare tripled the cost of health insurance in my state and tripled the co-pay.
I used to pay $230/mo for $2500 deductible 80/20 insurance. It hadnt changed much in 15 years.
2017 rates are $1200/mo for $7800 deductible and 70/30 insurance for a single person. Double that for 2 people.
But at least I'm covered in case I get pregnant or my wife gets prostate disease.

Ouch!

Rob

#52 2 years ago

He just wanted advice

#53 2 years ago

I had lived my entire life with excellent credit. I even ran up high credit too many times and paid it all off. To be quit honest many of the things I spent money on we're not for myself, I'm sure you understand.

It just seems now difficult because I had the stroke and 3 brain surgeries. I sometimes can barely think straight it's very hard to describe. It's hard to get served while you are fighting for you life. I'll make it though.

oh and I think my unpaid medical bills exceed 600,000 right now. I call my self the half a million dollar man.

But I have had 3 brain surgeries and I probably should have died in the first and the third. Nice i am pretty happy they saved my ass.

If I have to file for bankruptcy I hope it will never happen again, I'll do my best.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I had lived my entire life with excellent credit. I even ran up high credit too many times and paid it all off. To be quit honest many of the things I spent money on we're not for myself, I'm sure you understand.
It just seems now difficult because I had the stroke and 3 brain surgeries. I sometimes can barely think straight it's very hard to describe. It's hard to get served while you are fighting for you life. I'll make it though.
oh and I think my unpaid medical bills exceed 600,000 right now. I call my self the half a million dollar man.
But I have had 3 brain surgeries and I probably should have died in the first and the third. Nice i am pretty happy they saved my ass.
If I have to file for bankruptcy I hope it will never happen again, I'll do my best.

Get lawyered up and File.

send a payment of $25 or whatever you can afford each month, in time they will just stop billing you, pretty weird but true.
Dont cut yourself short, you need money to live.

Relax, get rested and well, the amounts are so staggering no one expects you to pay it, this is a fact, they want to write it off.

Laugh every day, its important for well being.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Close your bank accounts asap. Cash your paychecks. If credit companies are sueing you....and take you to court....they typically win judgement and expect monthly payments. If you do not make the monthly payment....they will seize whatever funds in your bank account. Lost 4k that way

Please don't listen to this advice. Closing bank accounts and hiding money during a bankruptcy is a clear way to piss off a bankruptcy judge.

Companies can only garnish bank accounts and wages with a judgement against you. If you declare BK it should halt any proceedings until the bankruptcy is resolved.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Christians!, what a joke. Had my credit card frozen do to fraudulent activity from the web site Christianmingle. Never even visited that site. Your a loser if you ever do!

Not sure what you're getting at, but the reason your card showed fraudulent activity is that when people steal bulk credit card records from hacks, then resell them on a russian black market site or something, they need to test if the card number is still good before going through the effort of cloning a card or using the number. To test it, they seek out websites that have credit card forms without captcha or that don't require a full signup to use. If the card is approved through Christianmingle then they know they can go forward with the real fraud.

Anyways, way off topic. Sorry OP that you are going through this.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Get lawyered up and File.
send a payment of $25 or whatever you can afford each month, in time they will just stop billing you, pretty weird but true.
Dont cut yourself short, you need money to live.
Relax, get rested and well, the amounts are so staggering no one expects you to pay it, this is a fact, they want to write it off.
Laugh every day, its important for well being.

Keep in mind that when something is written off, you get a W2-C. Then you pay income tax on every dollar written off.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Keep in mind that when something is written off, you get a W2-C. Then you pay income tax on every dollar written off.

That doesn't apply to Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

It also does not apply to any type of "unsecured" debt - credits cards being the major type of unsecured debt most people hold.

However, you *will* get a W2-C for any debt that is secured - usually this applies to real property (real estate) - in the event of a write down/write off, forgiveness of a portion of the debt or whatever in the event of a short sale.

As for the OP... BK is the correct choice in this matter... There are lots of forums dedicated to bankruptcy discussions and I am sure there will be some recommendations for you for representation. Don't just go through the yellow pages. This is really important and complicated. If it gets screwed up YOU are the one paying the consequences. So do your due diligence in finding representation.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

That doesn't apply to Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
It also does not apply to any type of "unsecured" debt - credits cards being the major type of unsecured debt most people hold.
However, you *will* get a W2-C for any debt that is secured - usually this applies to real property (real estate) - in the event of a write down/write off, forgiveness of a portion of the debt or whatever in the event of a short sale.
As for the OP... BK is the correct choice in this matter... There are lots of forums dedicated to bankruptcy discussions and I am sure there will be some recommendations for you for representation. Don't just go through the yellow pages. This is really important and complicated. If it gets screwed up YOU are the one paying the consequences. So do your due diligence in finding representation.

I've experienced a family member's credit card debt being written off. No bankruptcy involved, just written off debt. A W2-C was definitely sent by your friends at Chase Bank.

#60 2 years ago

Ouch. Uncle Sam is ruthless.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Ouch. Uncle Sam is ruthless.

Oddly in spite of what they advertise,
Banks, Insurers and the Government are not your friends.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Not sure what you're getting at, but the reason your card showed fraudulent activity is that when people steal bulk credit card records from hacks, then resell them on a russian black market site or something, they need to test if the card number is still good before going through the effort of cloning a card or using the number. To test it, they seek out websites that have credit card forms without captcha or that don't require a full signup to use. If the card is approved through Christianmingle then they know they can go forward with the real fraud.
Anyways, way off topic. Sorry OP that you are going through this.

You might be right. I only carry one credit card and to have fraudulent activity freeze it when I'm out of town really pissed me off.

Now to this subject, bankruptcy. I think a person with integrity would sell off their pinball collection to help pay off their debtors. That's a no brainier.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

You might be right. I only carry one credit card and to have fraudulent activity freeze it when I'm out of town really pissed me off.
Now to this subject, bankruptcy. I think a person with integrity would sell off their pinball collection to help pay off their debtors. That's a no brainier.

I would let my attorney guide me in this.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Please don't listen to this advice. Closing bank accounts and hiding money during a bankruptcy is a clear way to piss off a bankruptcy judge.
Companies can only garnish bank accounts and wages with a judgement against you. If you declare BK it should halt any proceedings until the bankruptcy is resolved.

You are dead wrong ..and clearly never filed for bankruptcy....or had a credit card company take you to court. I had my bank account funds taken before I filed for bankruptcy. I fell on difficult times and couldn't make the monthly payments on my Capital One Credit Card. I was sued by them and taken to court. They won and I was required by judgment to make the set forth monthly payment. When I failed to do that, the attorney's office froze and took 4k (4k I had just received from selling a vehicle to pay off debt) from my bank account....leaving me with .01 cent in my account. That's when I did file for bankruptcy. The OP stated they are being sued by a CC company. It is you who should not speculate on something you don't much about.

#65 2 years ago

Not to revive ded shit that I didn't really want to talk about anyways...

I lawyered up, I'm in the process and it's all flat fees now with my insurance helping.

They are taking some of the hassle away. I still get to go to court and appear but it's a hearing and I will be one of a roomful.

Be careful folks nothing you have is permanent. Enjoy everyday if you can.

#66 2 years ago

It's not hard to figure out - check the gang of 9. 9 individuals own more wealth than 40% of the entire world. And most of those people live in the US. We've allowed this to happen by being complacent over many many years.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's not hard to figure out - check the gang of 9. 9 individuals own more wealth than 40% of the entire world. And most of those people live in the US. We've allowed this to happen by being complacent over many many years.

Come up with a good idea, and you can become wealthy and maybe even a member of that group.

I don't understand what complacency has to do with it. For better or worse, these are folks who put in a fair amount of work in this land of opportunity in order to get where they are. A lot of people tend to be envious of that and resent what they have, but others see it as inspiration for what can be achieved.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Not to revive ded shit that I didn't really want to talk about anyways...
I lawyered up, I'm in the process and it's all flat fees now with my insurance helping.
They are taking some of the hassle away. I still get to go to court and appear but it's a hearing and I will be one of a roomful.
Be careful folks nothing you have is permanent. Enjoy everyday if you can.

Everything else can be rebuilt, your heath is the most important thing right now. Best of luck with the process.

#69 2 years ago

I hope you can get everything taken care of Azmodeus, it sounds like an absolute nightmare to go through.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

No "Bama" care isn't a joke. Sorry that you feel people shouldn't have the right to affordable healthcare. Sorry that you think employers shouldn't have to pay a little out to make sure their employees have health coverage.

"Bama" care is a joke. And it's not because folks feel that people shouldn't have a right to affordable healthcare. Before, it was affordable. Now, since the Feds are paying subsidies to cover unemployed (california is looking to pass a law that allows government subsidies for illegal citizens, too), costs have gone through the roof. Fact.

The one provision that bewildered me, but everyone thought was so great....kids can stay on their parents health insurance until the age of 27...the Feds are basically saying "the economy sucks, you are gonna graduate from college in tremendous debt, and there won't be jobs with health insurance for you to get on your own." How is that provision a good thing?

Stay dependent on your parents long enough to become totally incapable of being responsible for yourself, that will make sure you become totally reliant on the government after you can no longer rely upon b your parents....which then ensured votes for the party who believes in big government.

Hey..,the middle class isn't doing good at all these days. Wouldn't that be "too big to fail?" Where's our subsidies and handouts?

#71 2 years ago

Pay what you can afford... Every hospital I ever heard of will accept that if an attempt is made. Even if its only a few hundred a month. Just had a surgery ( for the first time ) and medical bills were over 150k. My total O/O/Pocket for the year is 4500 for the year which I reached. The hospital was nonprofit as most are and let me make 30 payments of 150 dollars just by making a phone call and asking with ZERO interest. From what Ive heard as long as you make an attempt they cant come after you even if its 25 dollars a month

As for your CC bills im not sure what your situation is or how deep you have gone but spending money thats not there on other's no matter what the cause is never a good idea .

Sorry to hear of your situation.

5 months later
#72 1 year ago

Not to bring up humiliating things in my life, but...

Today is the bankruptcy court date. Later today.

My devastation in my life from my stroke and three brain surgeries was nearly absolute.

But I lived. Now I deal with this Goliath in my life.

To court, later, then. Holding my head up. To boldly go.

#73 1 year ago

Not sure why you should feel humiliated. You aren't the first person to through this and won't be the last. Good luck to you. You seem to be taking everything in stride.

#74 1 year ago

I was able to ride and grow excellent credit my whole life. Now I'm going bankrupt.

Although the laws are really there to help just someone just like me, I wish I hadn't needed to use them.

I have to go forward through it all now.

This bankruptcy although painful is just a step now for me. Other far more painful things have occured., sadly.

Forward.

#75 1 year ago

I kinda want to know what the initial reply was now....
gotta love pinside. Taking shots at people with medical conditions. not sure why I keep coming here.

#76 1 year ago

Getting through this bankruptcy is a major rung in the ladder for me though. Getting it behind me is critical.

The old me would have put this off longer,
but the new post stroke three brain surgeries has me walking into court later today.

#77 1 year ago

Keep your chin up, at least the dirt is under your feet instead of on top of you.

#78 1 year ago

Take a look a Jocko Willink on YouTube. He's a former Navy Seal Commander turned motivational speaker. YouTube his "Good" video.

So In your case you are forced down a bankruptcy path. So when you are feeling down or embarrassed about going to bankruptcy court just say the word "good". If you can say that it means your still alive and CAN get back to where you wanna be one day.

Sounds a bit corny but I think can help when we get down at times. All things I'm sure you've been told or thought yourself but sometimes a little reminder helps.

Either way you survived some tough times and you'll get through this as well. Best of luck!

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I was able to ride and grow excellent credit my whole life. Now I'm going bankrupt.

Stay strong.
My father lost *everything* when he turned 50. Very hard times for him. Took him a few years to recover.

#80 1 year ago

Best of luck!

#81 1 year ago

not only is the medical field and insurance in this country complete bullshit. But the medical industry also managed to make it so even filing bankruptcy, doesn't wipe out all medical debt. It's the only bill that can't be fully wiped out. That's such ass. Making even harder for the little guy to try and have a life.

#82 1 year ago

Good Luck!

#83 1 year ago

Good luck to you! Hope it's a weight off your shoulders.

#84 1 year ago

When this is over and you need help with credit repair, you should have Keithinmi help you. He plays on both sides of the fence.

www.lexingtonlaw.com

#85 1 year ago

Keep your head up. In a few years you will look back an be glad this is behind you with no more weight on your shoulders.

#86 1 year ago

I filed BK in 2009. When the economy took a shit I had customers that went out of business and couldn't pay me. I lost everything both personally and professionally. Learned a lot from it. Especially on who your friends really are. Now I am more successful than I ever thought I be. Even more so than my neurosurgeon brother. Nothing wrong with starting over. However, it will stay on your credit report for 10 years. But you can still rebuild your credit score in the mean time with prepaid cards. I did, now its over 740 fico. Anyway, think positive and stay healthy. Work out daily and read lots of self help books > Like 'Think and Grow Rich' and 'Miracle on Luckie Street' by Bob Williamson.

NEVER FORGET: "You must become your own greatest invention" > John Hays Hammond.

#87 1 year ago

Thank you everyone.

The books mentioned, by bob Williamson. I am going to read those. I am also going to reread - good to great.

My courtroom visit was fairly painless. My paralegal assistant was fearful of my judiciator. There was no judge just her and an assistant. He seemed fearful of her.

I went up first. Bodak.

She was very cordial to me.

I could see that she was looking at my case, but not seeing anything fishy. Maybe she liked that. Her questions for me after reading my things were very few. My paralegal seemed very relieved after it ended quickly. Me too.

I hope the rest will continue to go smoothly. I didn't mean for things to go so bad in my life, but they did. This bankruptcy. Just a step, but An important step now.

#88 1 year ago

It is admirable the actions your are taking and I appreciate you sharing.

We are all just one moment from a turn or course in life and your ability to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and keeping a good attitude about things is commendable!

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Thank you everyone.
The books mentioned, by bob Williamson. I am going to read those. I am also going to reread - good to great.
My courtroom visit was fairly painless. My paralegal assistant was fearful of my judiciator. There was no judge just her and an assistant. He seemed fearful of her.
I went up first. Bodak.
She was very cordial to me.
I could see that she was looking at my case, but not seeing anything fishy. Maybe she liked that. Her questions for me after reading my things were very few. My paralegal seemed very relieved after it ended quickly. Me too.
I hope the rest will continue to go smoothly. I didn't mean for things to go so bad in my life, but they did. This bankruptcy. Just a step, but An important step now.

Think and Grow Rich> is by Napoleon Hill

Great book!

IMG_4459 (resized).PNG

#90 1 year ago

IMG_4457 (resized).PNG

IMG_4458 (resized).PNG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 92.00
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 149.00
$ 229.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballBulbs
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 16.95
$ 14.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside