(Topic ID: 208546)

Bank a ball start up sequence incomplete (gtb 1965)

By gutz

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180129_072933 (resized).jpg
20180129_072916 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

EM green horn here with a start sequence issue. Summary: sequence starts, score reels reset, no ball release, no playfield activity (besides gi).

History/work so far: game hasn't worked for 40 years. 0-9 unit had a melted coil and missing plunger - those have been replaced. Found a broken wire on the coin door for the replay button- fixed. New power cord, fuses checked. Tightened up the switch stack on the bank reset and score motor and inspected the movement of all the switches.

When pressing the replay button, the hold relay is working, the S and SS relays work, the score motor starts moving, score reels reset, the bank reset and the D relay activates, and the process stops. The ball release never energizes and there is no activity from the playfield.

I have schematics (that i struggle to understand) but at this point I'm a little lost and looking for tips.

#2 6 years ago

The machine has an incomplete reset process. One way to troubleshoot the problem is to find out why the score motor is stopping during the reset process. Find the score motor icon on the schematic and follow the circuit back to the primary switches (approximately 5-8 switches) that send power to the score motor. Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly.

If those primary switches look good, then you'll need to look at the circuits that control the relay coils for each of the primary switches. For example, if one of the primary switches is the "S" relay switch, then you would want to look at the switches in the circuit that send power to the S relay coil. You would repeat the process with the other relay coils that include those primary switches... Most likely there's a dirty switch or mis-adjusted switch in one of those circuits...

#3 6 years ago

Fred - thanks for the response. You also helped me fix heat wave about a year ago - that game wouldn't end. Bank a ball doesn't want to start

I checked that the primary switches all run the score motor (manually moved). I was still hung up on the fact that the playfield solenoids were "dead" so I recleaned the switches on the tilt, game over, start, and reset relay that have solenoid power through them. Each individual switch was making it, but on a whim I buzzed out the jumper wires between each relay and found a wire that was broken inside the insulation. Sneaky little bastard! New wire installed and she starts up and plays! On to the next issue

20180129_072916 (resized).jpg20180129_072916 (resized).jpg

20180129_072933 (resized).jpg20180129_072933 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

My best theory to explain the failure: the 0-9 unit coil overheated and blew the fuse. A previous owner over fused the circuit (I can't remember what was installed when I received the game, but it was higher than spec) and that caused the the bad coil to melt and the "new fuse" for solenoid power was the small jumper wire between relays. The two wires pictured above took some serious heat and both were replaced. When installed and the reset bank flipped up, the scorch marks couldn't be seen until the wires were removed. Sneaky sneaky.

#5 6 years ago

Great troubleshooting! I've never seen a broken wire within the insulation, but overheating would definitely damage the wire internally. I guess you could call this the "invisible" broken wire...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bank-a-ball-start-up-sequence-incomplete-gtb-1965?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.