You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BaB copy (resized).jpg
3B999BD1-2C1E-4D21-B8E6-F168916630AB (resized).jpeg
IMG_3206 (resized).jpg
IMG_3205(1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys, I have two issues currently on my Bank-A-Ball.

I took the playfield apart when I had new target-faces riveted on to the stand-up target switches (hat-tip to Boilerman for the great work last year on that). I finally got around to putting it back together this week, including soldering the switches back into the game. Somewhere along the way, I did something wrong because now the N relay (1 point relay) just rapid fires as soon as the game is plugged in (before I press start) and sets the score reel spinning and the bell ringing. the 0-9 unit continually fires along with it I believe.

I've attached a photo of the N relay portion of the schematic. Any trouble-shooting ideas to isolate this? I clearly did something while reinstalling all the playfield parts. I don't think any of the 1-point switches are closed, from what I can discern. Wondering if I dropped some solder on something, or...?

A second issue is that during all of this, the tab shown in the other picture broke off of that switch stack. I know how to replace the switch blade, but I don't know how to open up that stack given that it's riveted together and I have no rivet tool (nor am I sure how to take it apart). Ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

IMG_3205(1) (resized).jpgIMG_3205(1) (resized).jpgIMG_3206 (resized).jpgIMG_3206 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

2nd issue, drill out rivets, replace blade, use screws to hold the stack together... if you buy a new high current switch from pbr they come as a screw assy anyway.
1st issue, look at all the 1 point contacts on the pf, gapped too close?

Thanks, Ken. Will do on issue #2. On #1, I'll go back and look but I can't see one that's gapped too close. I even held each of them open with the rubber next to each and it still did it. But I'll check again.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

"...I've attached a photo of the N relay portion of the schematic. Any trouble-shooting ideas to isolate this?..."
For this kind of a problem, it would help to have some audio of the 1-point scoring. Different causes of continuous scoring would sound different.
.................David Marston

Will post a video

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

You say the machine is starting up right when it is plugged in? It shouldn’t power up until a coin is dropped or the replay button is pressed (with non-zero games on the machine). Sounds like one of those switches is shorted or there’s a problem with the start (SS) or 115V hold (R) relays and switches.
Careful, those circuits are on the 120V side of the transformer!

Thanks DaMoib, I will (carefully, unplugged) inspect those relays.

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Here’s the video that I promised – sorry it has taken me several days to post it. I took the playfield out to try to diagnose the problem, and as you can see from the video the score motor is spinning without the playfield in, which leads me to believe the problem is in the bottom of the game not the playfield. But take a look and let me know what you think thanks guys!

#12 5 years ago

Well, the hold relay is pulled in, the problem is it doesn’t let go. So I don’t know what’s causing the motor to just keep spinning.

I am not understanding that part of the schematic:

3B999BD1-2C1E-4D21-B8E6-F168916630AB (resized).jpeg3B999BD1-2C1E-4D21-B8E6-F168916630AB (resized).jpeg
#14 5 years ago

One more thing, the credit unit goes from 0 to 15 and rapidfire fashion when I plug the game in. So I can manually move it to zero credits, and as soon as I plug the game and it goes up to 15 really quick.

#18 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I will revisit this this week and keep you posted. To recap, currently the play field is unplugged, and the motor starts moving as soon as I plug it in. I will check the switches suggested. Including the coin switches inside the door.

#21 5 years ago

I got it working. I am not 100% which "fix" did it because I checked several things at once (the coin door switches, the SS, R and W relays, and also found a playfield switch stuck closed. Somewhere in there, I fixed it, and it now works 100% again and is happily back in its row between Lucky Hand and Drop-A-Card.

Thank you as always! I know I'll be reaching out in the days ahead as I embark upon my next restoration: Gottlieb Top Score.

Mark

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Great!
I just finished replacing my BaB bullseye targets two weeks ago, a big cosmetic improvement. My originals were almost pure white. Fear of rivets had held me back... until I came across Vid's Standup target thread and bought myself a new set of drill bits.
"Sharp drill bits make chips, dull ones make dust - memorize this." (Vid)

I've been cheating and sending mine to Pennsylvania and Boilerman has done them for me (Target Alpha, Quick Draw and Bank-A-Ball) over the past few years. And agree, it makes a huge difference with nice red-white-and-blue (or whatever the color scheme is on particular game) target faces staring at you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goldenboy232.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bank-a-ball-help-please?tu=goldenboy232 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.