You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3209 (resized).JPEG
IMG_3210 (resized).JPEG
IMG_3202 (resized).JPEG
#1 2 years ago

Anyone worked on replacing the balls on their Gottlieb Bank A Ball / similar? I found the Aussie(?) YT video showing how to pull the ball assembly off, but he doesn't actually replace a ball from the arm / pin it rides on. I don't want to assume that I can just squeeze the pin to remove the old ball arm (or can I?). I also have an arm without a ball. I do have new "balls on arms" from Steve @ PBR. Posted same on FB group EM Pinball, but no helpful responses (yet). Photos and/or video is super helpful if anyone has a reference. Thanks !

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

Anyone worked on replacing the balls on their Gottlieb Bank A Ball / similar? I found the Aussie(?) YT video showing how to pull the ball assembly off, but he doesn't actually replace a ball from the arm / pin it rides on. I don't want to assume that I can just squeeze the pin to remove the old ball arm (or can I?). I also have an arm without a ball. I do have new "balls on arms" from Steve @ PBR. Posted same on FB group EM Pinball, but no helpful responses (yet). Photos and/or video is super helpful if anyone has a reference. Thanks !

The ‘easiest’ way to install a new ball is to cut a slot out to allow the ball to slip around the switch bar. Tighten the switch bar if necessary. Follow the ball instructions to install the two rivets to lock it on.

In order to install like the factory did you would probably need nos switch bars as the old ones probably wouldn’t have enough meat to re-fasten.

Mike V

#3 2 years ago

Thank you, Mike. Looks like I need to reach out to Steve @PBR to source the rivets? I'll play with one of the balls I'm replacing re: the slot idea, as I'd hate to ruin a $30 part. Also not sure how I'd tighten the new ball around the shaft it sits on...

#4 2 years ago

My first repair was replacing a couple balls on my Flipper Pool. Just take your time and look at the others...I'm no rocket scientist - if I did it, you can do it. I made a spring hook so I could reach springs through a small opening and hook them where I was supposed to - that made life easier.

Pinhead52 did a post on this a few years ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mounting-bank-a-ball-balls

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from JustAl:

Thank you, Mike. Looks like I need to reach out to Steve @PBR to source the rivets? I'll play with one of the balls I'm replacing re: the slot idea, as I'd hate to ruin a $30 part. Also not sure how I'd tighten the new ball around the shaft it sits on...

The rivets and install instructions come with the ball. I guess I misunderstood you as you said you already have the ball from Steve. If there where no rivets or instructions contact me as I can supply them for free

Mike V

#6 2 years ago

Thanks Paul & Mike. Found some more videos on YT (PinballHelp) and will figure out what I'm going to do (e.g. thread a #4 screw replacement, cut a slot, or ???).

11.14 UPDATE: I just noticed a tiny bag inside the bag the ball came in. It's two VERY small rivets. Now I assume that I'm to carefully Dremel wheel off the old rivets, install the ball part and squeeze the new rivets into place. Delicate stuff...

11.15 UPDATE: I was able to cut off the two smaller rivets, but still don't understand what I need to do to remove the shaft that works the contact points. I've cut the head off of the rivet, but nothing is coming apart. I also notice that balls 7 and 15 only have one set of contact points, while all of the other have two. I've put circles around the issues I'm discussing. I appreciate the advice !

IMG_3202 (resized).JPEGIMG_3202 (resized).JPEG
#7 2 years ago

This was my solution, borrowing from other's experience, posted for future pinball mechanics tackling this for the first time. I did NOT remove the actuators to perform this and am unsure why anyone would unless they are doing more than replacing the balls. I also did NOT cut into the new ball plastic. I know I still need to crimp the small rivets into the plastic arm, but wanted to post while this is fresh in my mind. Let me know if I missed anything?

Tools used: Dremel tool with cutting / grinding wheel, #4 / 40 tap and wrenches, screwdriver, heat shrink and lighter, #4 / 40 x 1" bolt and nut.

Steps: 1) cut the existing pin(s) end off, remove the existing ball arm, and pull the arm spanning the switches out. This will probably destroy the plastic ball piece, unless you are more careful than I was. 2) tap the top actuator hole and the new ball plastic top hole (yes, both). 3) trim the existing plastic sleeve about a quarter-inch with your cutting wheel and grind even. Install and heat an equal length (as the plastic sleeve) of heat shrink on the bolt, then put the sleeve over the top. 4) screw the bolt through the new actuator hole and through the new plastic ball piece, then cap off with a nut. Optionally put a little blue or lesser-strength Lock-tite on the nut. 5) check operation / for clearances.

I ran the bolt in the direction I did to put more surface on the plastic arm side, so as to make it harder to accidentally over-torque the new bolt.

DM me any questions. Peace.

IMG_3209 (resized).JPEGIMG_3209 (resized).JPEGIMG_3210 (resized).JPEGIMG_3210 (resized).JPEG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bank-a-ball-animation-actuator?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.