Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MJ1A3254 (resized).jpg
u2 (resized).jpg
MI0003807400 (resized).jpg
metallicapic21 (resized).jpg
zz tyler (resized).jpg
zz top (resized).jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

...And Justice For All should have gone down as the definitive Metallica album, but Lars had to destroy it by drowning out Jason Newsted's bass and by apparently using a plastic coffee tin lid for a snare drum.

Great album but I never listen to it because the recording is AWFUL.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Black Sabbath after Master of Reality.
I dig a song or 2 on Volume 4, but not enough to preclude death.
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Death.

Nah, sorry man. If that had been the case, we would have never had those classic Dio albums "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules." Also, my favorite Sabbath album "Born Again" with Ian Gillan on vocals. "Headless Cross" is another. Tony Martin is awesome on that album.

Bottom line is i'm glad we had over 45 years of Tony Iommi guitar riffs as opposed to just a small few.

#53 6 years ago

Iron maiden....i think Somewhere in time is the cutoff and that's being generous. Also 100% with Jjsmooth on acdc.... bon then non

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

Iron maiden....i think Somewhere in time is the cutoff and that's being generous. Also 100% with Jjsmooth on acdc.... bon then non

I was waitin for it, but I wasn't expectin it from one of MY BUDDIES!
Guess we'll be startin off LAX with some wrasslin!

#55 6 years ago

Can I do a reverse and say that I wish The Kinks weren’t born until the 70s? I think the 80s stuff was best and the early British Invasion stuff was mediocre.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

...And Justice For All should have gone down as the definitive Metallica album, but Lars had to destroy it by drowning out Jason Newsted's bass and by apparently using a plastic coffee tin lid for a snare drum.

Then he cried about not winning a Grammy for that lackluster effort.

#57 6 years ago

AJFA is a KILLER album, but I'm an oddball that loves shittily produced albums.
Then DEATH.

#58 6 years ago

Pinball's rock themed games are a who's who of bands that should have died sooner.

#59 6 years ago

U2!!

Endless stream of Rock/Post-Punk hits in the 80's. -> 2014 Get this shit off my iPhone NOW!!11

u2 (resized).jpgu2 (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Death.
Disagree what about Sabbath bloody Sabbath & Sabotage ? I will agree vol 4 was a little weak and forget technical ecstasy, and never say die had 2 ok songs but Sabotage was ass Kickin if not their best

#61 6 years ago

I was going to mention U2 that pretty much died halfway thru the October album.

#62 6 years ago

That drove me crazy trying to figure out how in tf mf U2 ended up in my iPod. Thanks but no thanks.

#63 6 years ago

C'mon Vid...Deth Red Sabaoth is a ringer and you know it.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Can I do a reverse and say that I wish The Kinks weren’t born until the 70s? I think the 80s stuff was best and the early British Invasion stuff was mediocre.
» YouTube video

What!?!?!! No way sir. No way.

#65 6 years ago

Weezer:
Blue album
Pinkerton
DONE

Bruce Springsteen:
Asbury Park up until
Born in the USA
DONE

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

C'mon Vid...Deth Red Sabaoth is a ringer and you know it.
» YouTube video

It's an album.

But, it needs a producer to flesh it out.

The song "Hammer of the Gods" is a great example.

There is a hook, guitars tuned down to D, hollaring in the background in harmony, but no dynamics.

The whole thing is compressed into lifeless pancake.

It sounds like Danzig recorded it on his phone.

If you sent it to a radio station for Sunday night Loco Locals, they would tell your band to get it mastered and then submit it again. There is no way they would play it from a local band, let alone a band that has sold million of albums.

#67 6 years ago

And that is exactly why I love it.

#68 6 years ago

But yeah I never understood the last 25 years of uber compression.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

But yeah I never understood the last 25 years of uber compression

Victims of the Loudness War...

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

But yeah I never understood the last 25 years of uber compression.

I was worried that the new Priest would be self-produced, self-basement-mixed, thus I was super happy that Tom Allom was producing the disc

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was going to mention U2 that pretty much died halfway thru the October album.

Really? I thought Achtung Baby was by far their best album.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in Vegas in May. Should be a grand ole time

QSS

#72 6 years ago

Once Milli Vanilli released All or Nothing, their careers began a slide down the mountain.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Gotta disagree with this one Dave. Their last album was We Can't Dance and while it does have "I Can't Dance", it also has Living Forever, Fading Lights, Driving the Last Spike, and Dreaming While you Sleep. Half of the album is a bit of old school prog.

Genesis!
The older Genesis was not as big with me when I was younger, but now, this is one of my favorite songs. Firth of fifth.

and thier pop stuff was ok with me, I grew up with it.

But I like this way better.

Also firth of fifth it brings back a feeling. A good feeling. From my past. I can't explain it.

#74 6 years ago

ACDC after Razor's Edge.
INXS after KICK.

#75 6 years ago

Old Genesis rocks!! My favorite prog band by far!!

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

ACDC after Razor's Edge.
INXS after KICK.

AC/DC after Flick of the Switch!

Fly on the wall? Pleeeeeeease!

rd

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

AC/DC after Flick of the Switch!
Fly on the wall? Pleeeeeeease!
rd

Sentimental reasons, rd.

My first ACDC concert attended was Razors Edge Tour.

#78 6 years ago

Bon was best, even rocked in a dress

#79 6 years ago

Sometimes you have bands where the front man is such an iconic presence that replacement completely kills the mood. One of my favorite bands, The Tragically Hip, lost front man Gordon Downie last year. May that band rest in peace, while continuing to live on the memories of their past recordings.

#80 6 years ago

Bob Dylan has tried harder than anyone to destroy his legacy over the last 40 years. His "never ending tour" is now in it's 30th year. For two and a half years he just stopped playing guitar onstage. His voice doesn't sound human and he barely acknowledges his audience yet, there he is, in front of a sold out audience of rabid fans. The theory about his deal with the devil is the only one that makes sense at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Ending_Tour

#81 6 years ago

METALLICA for the win ! and crazy levi say it aint so ! the last priest album the last Maiden both good records

#82 6 years ago

Great discussion....
GnR- Appetite then death by power ballad...just tragic

Metallica- Great until the Black album but totally sold out. That is when they died musically....they need to listen to the lyrics of Whiplash......go all the way back to their roots.

AC/DC- wish I could unhear Fly on the Wall but all the other albums are pretty much solid....death by just old age.....they never really changed....you can recognize their new songs just as quick as the old. Very few bands stick to doing what they do well.

Many bands change over time and not for the better. And somewhere during those changes the bands should probably have died.....examples are the Beatles. Listen to their early stuff and then their later stuff....completely different. Metallica is another example.

And some of these bands that find a way to keep touring need to just hang it up...Lynyrd Skynyrd needs to let go.

#83 6 years ago

Limp bizkit?

Korn?

These are not as massive as most of these others.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much every band ever besides the Beatles, Sex Pistols, and nirvana.

in general, the list of bands that should have quit in embarrassment is pretty long, but there are also quite a few that have aged like fine wine.

Propagandhi - band is 30 years old, still releasing albums, and every one is better than their last.
Weird Al Yankovic - over 40 years of performing, and he's still relevant, still talented, still hilarious, and still one of the best live shows in rock.

Ramones - toured for 30 years and while you can argue about the quality of their albums (i think they were still pretty good at the end) their live shows never lost a step.

Buzzcocks - 40 years and they are still fantastic live, and (occasionally) releasing albums that don't suck.

Daycare Swindlers - they're a local group that has been around for about 20 years and they still amaze and inspire me. if they died, i would die a little.

Fugazi - hung around about 17 years, and was still producing urgently essential music up until the minute they disbanded. Ian Mackaye is a dude whose picture should be in the dictionary next to the phrase "artistic integrity". His bands have never felt like they did anything thing for the purpose of cashing in or rehashing the past. His bands were always evolving, and always knew when to quit.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I got 2. Went to ZZ Top on New Years night (Dallas) in 80 or 81. No mention of a warm up band or anything on the radio. Lights go down, people pumped. Curtains open. Bunch of black guys called "the bus boys". Their lead off song was "I want to join the ku klux klan and play in a rockin roll band". They got booed off of the stage and we got an extra long zz set.
Another time we went to "Texas jam" a all day thing with about 7 or 8 bands. Sammy Hagar (pre halen) was next to last and just killed it. The headliners came out (Styx) singing mr roboto. Everyone got up and left. Place was half empty before their set was over.

Too bad for you guys. The Bus Boys were awesome and they put on a great show. I saw them play the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach BEFORE their break out hit in 48 Hours, and they blew the roof off the joint.

#86 6 years ago

REM after Document.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Too bad for you guys. The Bus Boys were awesome and they put on a great show. I saw them play the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach BEFORE their break out hit in 48 Hours, and they blew the roof off the joint.

If I had a time machine I would go to that particular concert!

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

"......... Went to ZZ Top on New Years night (Dallas) in 80 or 81."

I saw them on that tour too, Deguello.

Also the El Loco tour....

We were really stoned and not prepared for the lasers.

My friend got puked on.

It was a great show. (the parts I remember).

E.

#89 6 years ago

Although they had a few good songs later on, The Moody Blues should have quit after 'A Question Of Balance'.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I was waitin for it, but I wasn't expectin it from one of MY BUDDIES!
Guess we'll be startin off LAX with some wrasslin!

Ha ha.. yeah i was waiting for it to! I guess it's not a fair assessment really because my everyday music taste changed around that time but i really thought somewhere in time lost it a little.. not that it was horrible but wasn't like the previous efforts. They are still banging also so that's great and yes i retract.. they don't deserveDEATH.... lol. Even though i don't listen to allot of heavy music anymore i am going to slayer/testament/ anthrax this year

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Black Sabbath after Master of Reality.
I dig a song or 2 on Volume 4, but not enough to preclude death.
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Death.

No Sabbath Bloody Sabbath,I loved that one.Sabotage also.

#92 6 years ago

Ozzy lost it on his own after ultimate sin... or at that for me. Blizzard, speak, dairy were good though.. Randy Rhodes I assume the key ingredient

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

in general, the list of bands that should have quit in embarrassment is pretty long, but there are also quite a few that have aged like fine wine.
Propagandhi - band is 30 years old, still releasing albums, and every one is better than their last.
Weird Al Yankovic - over 40 years of performing, and he's still relevant, still talented, still hilarious, and still one of the best live shows in rock.
Ramones - toured for 30 years and while you can argue about the quality of their albums (i think they were still pretty good at the end) their live shows never lost a step.
Buzzcocks - 40 years and they are still fantastic live, and (occasionally) releasing albums that don't suck.
Daycare Swindlers - they're a local group that has been around for about 20 years and they still amaze and inspire me. if they died, i would die a little.
Fugazi - hung around about 17 years, and was still producing urgently essential music up until the minute they disbanded. Ian Mackaye is a dude whose picture should be in the dictionary next to the phrase "artistic integrity". His bands have never felt like they did anything thing for the purpose of cashing in or rehashing the past. His bands were always evolving, and always knew when to quit.

Good call on the Buzzcocks and Fugazi.

#94 6 years ago

Kansas should have called it quits after Monolith.
Styx should have hung it up after Cornerstone, or at the very least after Paradise Theatre.
Zebra should have "one and done" it with their first album.
Billy Squier should have dropped it after Emotions in Motion. "Rock Me Tonite" killed his career anyway.

#95 6 years ago

What about Elvis? He definitely out lived his good music.

#96 6 years ago

Anthrax possibly after Among the Living... definitely after Sound of White Noise.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from maestro:

Anthrax possibly after Among the Living... definitely after Sound of White Noise.

I think among was the cutoff also..

#98 6 years ago

Nickleback:
Had first practice as a band...
DEATH

#99 6 years ago

I have an opposite view. Vinnie Vincent Invasion was not as good IMO with Robert Fleishman as they were with Mark Slaughter. After seeing Vinnies recent Public outing all I can think it WTF??!!??

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Megadeth should have been done with Countdown to Extinction.

Agree, except their last album “Dystopia” is brilliant. I think they won an Emmy for it as well. Saw them in concert last year at the start of their tour and it was a complete blast.

Half the songs are clearly written from the perspective of a Fox News consuming Trump supporter, which I suppose Mustaine probably is, but the fresh blood guitar and drum work really push it over the top. Paints a great Dystopian world view, but probably not exactly the way he intended.

Definitely worth a listen if you haven’t heard it.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bands-that-should-have-died-sooner/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.