Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MJ1A3254 (resized).jpg
u2 (resized).jpg
MI0003807400 (resized).jpg
metallicapic21 (resized).jpg
zz tyler (resized).jpg
zz top (resized).jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

We were drinking last night, and of course that led to the discussions of when certain bands jumped the shark.....and how it would have been better if the band died rather than tarnishing it's place in rock history with the latter crap.

#1 nominated was ZZ Top.

They were an amazing electric Texas Blues band, until the embarrassing synthesizer garbage in the 80s.

Had they just all been killed in a cattle stampede right after Deguello, they would have been cemented into rock history, rather than clown history.

ZZ Top's First Album (1971)
Rio Grande Mud (1972)
Tres Hombres (1973)
Fandango! (1975)
Tejas (1976)
Degüello (1979)
Death!!!!

Kings of the state fair:

zz top (resized).jpgzz top (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

The band that got the 2nd most votes was Aerosmith.

A great Rock n Blues band that completely jumped the shark in the 80s, becoming power ballad slush.

Aerosmith (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)
Night in the Ruts (1979)
Death!!!!!!!

Songs like Angel were so sappy that my grandmother used to sing along with them.

Wigless and wild:

zz tyler (resized).jpgzz tyler (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Well, at first I thought the topic title sounded harsh, like wishing harm to the people themselves, but after reading your post I realized what you were saying.
I grew up with Van Halen in my teen years. They turned into Van Hagar and bubblegum pop and sappy love songs, along with Aerosmith and the Scorpions. So those three are my "nominations".

#4 6 years ago

YES was the 3rd most popular choice.

Fun art rock with some unexpected twists and turns along the way.

If they could have only fallen off the edge after the harder rocking "Drama", they would be a perfect band with a perfect catalog.

Instead they came out with the instantly dated sounding 90125 that had the cringe worthy "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Leave It".

Yes (1969)
Time and a Word (1970)
The Yes Album (1971)
Fragile (1971)
Close to the Edge (1972)
Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
Relayer (1974)
Going for the One (1977)
Tormato (1978)
Drama (1980)
Death !!!!!!

OMG this is just bad:

#5 6 years ago

I getcha Vid...
We're talking about "mercy killings" for the betterment of society and in all actuality, the artists themselves. Styx would be on anyone's list. As Bobcat Goldthwait used to say, "C'mon people! We can't get Jon Bon Jovi up in a f____d up helicopter?

#6 6 years ago

Aw man you should give ZZTOPs La Futura a listen. Their latest release and its gritty and old school.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Aw man you should give ZZTOPs La Futura a listen. Their latest release and its gritty and old school.

I've got it, I wanted to like it.

It tries so hard to be real, but it sounds so contrived.....and if Rick Rubin can't save you, you probably can't be saved.

#9 6 years ago

I got ya vid on ZZtop as Deguello was their last good album.

But Aerosmith might as well have called it quits after Rocks and Yes should have quit after Relayer.

There are still plenty of other bands hanging by a thread that haven't made quality albums in decades. Can you say more pinball music themes?

#10 6 years ago

Agree on Aerosmith.

Old 70s heroin Aerosmith is soooo cool. 90s Aerosmith... soooo bad.

Genesis would be another one that comes to mind. Not a fan, but the old prog stuff radically changed to badddddd pop in the 90s. “I can’t dance” anyone?

rd

#11 6 years ago

Next voted #4 was Danzig.

He tore up the Blues/Metal scene with the help of master producer Rick Rubin.

Once he and Rick went their separate ways, he could **maybe** squeak out a single catchy song per album (although some albums like BlackAcidDevil were completely unlistenable).

Walk Among Us (1982)
Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood (1983)

Danzig (1988)
Danzig II: Lucifuge (1990)
Danzig III: How the Gods Kill (1992)
Danzig 4 (1994)
DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His duet with Shakira was comedy gold:

#12 6 years ago

Permanent Waves was the last Rush album I really cared for. Then DEATH!!!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Permanent Waves was the last Rush album I really cared for. Then DEATH!!!

Eh, Ill have to disagree there. I like some if the later stuff. Signals was a part of my golden years.

Another band that should have died was Def Leppard. High-N-Dry and then done.

#14 6 years ago

Of course taking up the rear #5 spot was Metallica.

Too bad the whole bussload of them could not have been pinned under after Master of Puppets.

Kill 'Em All (1983)
Ride the Lightning (1984)
Master of Puppets (1986)
Death !!!!!!!!!!!!

metallicapic21 (resized).jpgmetallicapic21 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Ok, I am not going to say death, but I would have been ok with Metallica going into a coma between the Black album and Hardwired.
Megadeth should have been done with Countdown to Extinction.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

LOL, we were typing at the same time.
MoP was definitely the highlight, but there was some good stuff up to the Black album. It wasn't pure thrash metal anymore, but I was ok with that. Load was a bridge too fucking far, though.

#17 6 years ago

I am a huge Metallica fan up untill black album,after that I am done.

#18 6 years ago

I liked up to the black album too. After that I wasn't really young and pissed off any more and I don't think they were either.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The band that got the 2nd most votes was Aerosmith.
A great Rock n Blues band that completely jumped the shark in the 80s, becoming power ballad slush.
Aerosmith (1973)
Get Your Wings (1974)
Toys in the Attic (1975)
Rocks (1976)
Draw the Line (1977)
Night in the Ruts (1979)
Death!!!!!!!
Songs like Angel were so sappy that my grandmother used to sing along with them.
Wigless and wild:

And that's why most of the songs in the game are from these albums.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Too bad the whole bussload of them could not have been pinned under after Master of Puppets.
Kill 'Em All (1983)
Master of Puppets (1986)
Death !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta add the Creeping Death EP to this list.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well, at first I thought the topic title sounded harsh, like wishing harm to the people themselves, but after reading your post I realized what you were saying.
I grew up with Van Halen in my teen years. They turned into Van Hagar and bubblegum pop and sappy love songs, along with Aerosmith and the Scorpions. So those three are my "nominations".

OMG Van Halen got bit HARD by 80's formula crap.

Should have been:
Van Halen
Van Halen II (and I only add this one because it's in the timeline amongst other great albums)
Women and Children First
Fair Warning
Death!!!

I still have memories of Eddie all drugged out with that stupid smile on his face in the Jump video. He must cringe every time he sees that now.

#22 6 years ago

The #6 spot goes to The Doors.

Too bad they could not have have all OD after LA Woman.

The Doors (1967)
Strange Days (1967)
Waiting for the Sun (1968)
The Soft Parade (1969)
Morrison Hotel (1970)
LA Woman (1971)
DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!

MI0003807400 (resized).jpgMI0003807400 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I liked up to the black album too. After that I wasn't really young and pissed off any more and I don't think they were either.

I'm just old and pissed off.
I think Hardwired did what they tried to do previously, and recaptured a bit of that angry magic. The title song is great. I wanted to like the obligatory Lovecraftian song("Dream No More"), but it is not even in the same league as their other attempts("Call of Cthulhu," "The Thing that Should Not Be"). (No, we won't talk about "All Nightmare Long," regardless of whether it's about the Hounds or not...).

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Eh, Ill have to disagree there. I like some if the later stuff. Signals was a part of my golden years.

Totally agree.

Even though Signals was their big venture into synth, it was still a great album.

High N Dry was great, then everything after that was radio formula. We used to call them DeFM Leppard.

#25 6 years ago

Excellent top 6.

Anyone here pay $200 for Misfits tickets? Tooootally not a cash grab by a bunch of litigious AARP Jersey bros.

#26 6 years ago

The inverse of this would also be interesting--great bands who could not get any traction (or air play) and died way too soon.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Totally agree here about High N Dry.

Would love to see where they would be now if they stuck to those roots

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I agree about High N Dry, but once I heard Tom Sawyer that band was dead to me and never did anything to change my opinion.

Led Zeppelin is the classic case of hanging around too long as Presence was the end of the road. In Thru The Out Door is a total joke.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I agree about High N Dry, but once I heard Tom Sawyer that band was dead to me and never did anything to change my opinion.
Led Zeppelin is the classic case of hanging around too long as Presence was the end of the road. In Thru The Out Door is a total joke.

Still, Fool in the Rain is a great song. I remember when the album came out everyone was like WTF, keyboards? Really. Then the tour was announced and the day before tickets went on sale it was all over. That was brutal.

Much worse out there, Styx for example. Yes VH, Def Leppard, Aerosmith for sure but nothing is worse that Elton John after 1976.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I remember when the album came out everyone was like WTF

All I remember was us thinking "Hot Dog" was the only song that had any redemptive value on that LP. And that was being generous.

Quoted from Edster:

Much worse out there, Styx for example

Yep, they pretty much hit an equinox with the album "Equinox" and it was all down hill after that.

#31 6 years ago

Black Sabbath after Master of Reality.
I dig a song or 2 on Volume 4, but not enough to preclude death.
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Death.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Genesis would be another one that comes to mind. Not a fan, but the old prog stuff radically changed to badddddd pop in the 90s. “I can’t dance” anyone?
rd

Gotta disagree with this one Dave. Their last album was We Can't Dance and while it does have "I Can't Dance", it also has Living Forever, Fading Lights, Driving the Last Spike, and Dreaming While you Sleep. Half of the album is a bit of old school prog.

#33 6 years ago

How bout Guns and Roses?
Appetite for Destruction......

DEATH!

#34 6 years ago

I may be one of the only ones that thought Journey was done after Infinity.

Once the original singer Greg Rolie left the band they went down hill fast.

#35 6 years ago

I'm sure to catch hell, but AC/DC should have died when Bon Scott did.
Never remotely the same feel.

#36 6 years ago

What was it with Rolie, he never lasted long in a band...

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Black Sabbath after Master of Reality.
I dig a song or 2 on Volume 4, but not enough to preclude death.
Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Death.

I agree for Ozzy era Sabbath but "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" are awesome albums.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

What was it with Rolie, he never lasted long in a band...

I just watched the reunion of the original Santana band and it was great. That's pretty much what Journey was, Santana's backup band.

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

You won't catch hell from me. I never could stand to listen to that new singer scream.

#39 6 years ago

Pretty much every band ever besides the Beatles, Sex Pistols, and nirvana.

But hey, rock stars gotta eat too, and I’d rather enjoy an afternoon at the state fair with ZZ Top.

#40 6 years ago

Kiss

Imagine the byline:

“Influential glam rock group Kiss, famous for pop rock hits such as Detroit Rock City and Rock N Roll All Nite, were tragically torn to pieces by Burmese spider monkeys on their recent whirlwind tour. Any future albums will sadly never be released, but their legacy will live on.”

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I was thinking after more like after "For Those About to Rock"....

#42 6 years ago

The Sex Pistols did

Quoted from CrazyLevi:Pretty much every band ever besides the Beatles, Sex Pistols, and nirvana.
But hey, rock stars gotta eat too, and I’d rather enjoy an afternoon at the state fair with ZZ Top.

Impressed with the Sex Pistols mention.
It's crazy they only did 1 album. Anything else out there was bootleg BS..

#43 6 years ago

Harsh crowd today. Adapting and continuing to make $ makes others wish you were dead..... Sheesh

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Harsh crowd today. Adapting and continuing to make $ makes others wish you were dead..... Sheesh

No, just when the music went bad and maybe caught a virus that attack vocal cords. Enjoy the money, but stop making crap albums.

#45 6 years ago

I got 2. Went to ZZ Top on New Years night (Dallas) in 80 or 81. No mention of a warm up band or anything on the radio. Lights go down, people pumped. Curtains open. Bunch of black guys called "the bus boys". Their lead off song was "I want to join the ku klux klan and play in a rockin roll band". They got booed off of the stage and we got an extra long zz set.

Another time we went to "Texas jam" a all day thing with about 7 or 8 bands. Sammy Hagar (pre halen) was next to last and just killed it. The headliners came out (Styx) singing mr roboto. Everyone got up and left. Place was half empty before their set was over.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Harsh crowd today. Adapting and continuing to make $ makes others wish you were dead..... Sheesh</blockquote

They could have just renamed themselves, and continued on the new path they took.

#47 6 years ago

What we basically have is people that liked bands before they hit it big, and once they got commercial success they were barred.

Then there are the other people that never heard of these bands until they got commercial so the earlier works are irrelevant.

#48 6 years ago

Nah what we have is bands that clearly started to suck ass after a while but didn’t have the dignity to quit.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Nah what we have is bands that clearly started to suck ass after a while but didn’t have the dignity to quit.

That too, but then they garner a whole new set of fans.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Kill 'Em All (1983)
Master of Puppets (1986)
Death !!!!!!!!!!!!

...And Justice For All should have gone down as the definitive Metallica album, but Lars had to destroy it by drowning out Jason Newsted's bass and by apparently using a plastic coffee tin lid for a snare drum.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bands-that-should-have-died-sooner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.