Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Vino
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 3 years ago

Hey all,

I got a chance to play Led Zeppelin LE (good) and JJP GNR (great) yesterday at Marvin's. Then I came home and played some games on my own IM Prem (awesome), and enjoyed how much I still love this game.

However, thinking about "why" I like IM so much, I came to a realization...

Of all the band pins out there I can think of aside from IM;
- AC/DC
- Metallica
- Aerosmith
- The Beatles
- Led Zeppelin
- GnR (both versions)

...they all have one thing in common. They all feature pictures (and sometime names) of the band members. Often times, "collecting" the band mates is part of the ruleset.

Iron Maiden is the only game I can think of that doesn't do this.

I knew very little about the band before I got the game, and besides now knowing a few of their songs, I still don't. One could easily call the game "Zombie Time Travel Adventure", and would still fit.

I very much enjoy the theme of our IM, and the various versions of Eddie in all his different aspects. But I think it's the "adventure" bent of the story as opposed to the "rock 'n' roll show" type of story that I like the best.

Is Iron Maiden unique like this?

Thanks,
EV

#2 3 years ago

Iron Maiden have a comic book series and the game is based on the comic.

#3 3 years ago

I understand what you mean and I had similar feelings with Metallica. I know it has the bands faces and you do "collect the band members" with pick targets, but that was never something I was shooting for. It was always more about Sparky, Snake, Hammer, and Graveyard. I've never been a huge Metallica fan and it's still my number one Stern game. I don't have as much experience with band themes.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I understand what you mean and I had similar feelings with Metallica. I know it has the bands faces and you do "collect the band members" with pick targets, but that was never something I was shooting for. It was always more about Sparky, Snake, Hammer, and Graveyard. I've never been a huge Metallica fan and it's still my number one Stern game. I don't have as much experience with band themes.

Does it even say the members' names or anything when you hit the picks?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Does it even say the members' names or anything when you hit the picks?

When you collect a band member it says their name.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

However, thinking about "why" I like IM so much, I came to a realization...

The realization for me is simple its the best band pin out there.

#7 3 years ago

It is unique, Eddie is a pretty sweet mascot. That and the fact that stern partnered with the company that made the mobile game so they used assets from that.

#8 3 years ago

I like that IMDN was centered on Eddie
but AC/DC is probably my 2nd fav music pin

#9 3 years ago

I love that KISS, Rolling Stones and Primus don't even rate as band pins to the OP.
Maiden is great, best part is you don't have to look at any old fogies.
Wish we could get a pin with some modern music.
B

#10 3 years ago

Ooh, forgot about those. But Kiss and Stones both reinforce my point about "rock and roll concert" theming.

To be fair, I've never even seen a Primus...

Later,
EV

#11 3 years ago

It was not designed as a music pinball machine. Iron Maiden is a re-skin of Archer. KE had been working on his Archer Home brew when he started up at Stern and brought that design with him they scrapped the Archer IP and replaced it with IM FACT. Rumor: the IM IP and the GOTG IP were swapped at some point in the process as well.

#12 3 years ago

Granted I haven't played everything on that list, but the reason I like Iron Maiden over the rest is because of the flow. It's got crazy good flow and fun targets to hit. It's better than the others in terms of flow imo.

Maybe that's just me though.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from holden1090:

It was not designed as a music pinball machine. Iron Maiden is a re-skin of Archer. KE had been working on his Archer Home brew when he started up at Stern and bought that design with him they scrapped the Archer IP and replaced it with IM FACT. Rumor: the IM IP and the GOTG IP were swapped at some point in the process as well.

True for the playfield... but it wasn’t just a reskin.

By now everyone should realize the rules design of elwin games is also what sets them apart. That wasnt just archer... just like each of his follow ons have been able to differentiate as well.

#14 3 years ago

IMDN is as unique as any game in the last 20 years. Why? It is because KE designed it for like 7 years. He meticulously and painfully designed every single aspect over a long period of time. So, the PF is unique for that reason. the rules are unique too. it is not a "rock and roll show" pinball. It is the "adventures/conquests of Eddie" the character, which is far more unique a take on a metal band than has been created in the past. even GNR is the stock "rock show" game, albeit a great one.

IMDN is simply amazing. It's the only game to get such meticulous design treatment from the designer, and probably will be the only game with such effort committed to it in perpetuity. the design schedules now do not allow for such time dedication to a single game; too short of a design phase.

I'm never selling my IMDN premium. It is bolted.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from holden1090:

It was not designed as a music pinball machine.

That's the best formula for any music pin.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

That's the best formula for any music pin.

Pinball is pretty abstract. I think you could strip the art away from 99% of machines and someone unfamiliar with the game would have a hard time telling you what the theme was just by looking at the machine.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Pinball is pretty abstract. I think you could strip the art away from 99% of machines and someone unfamiliar with the game would have a hard time telling you what the theme was just by looking at the machine.

I think u should know that, not have to think about it. I mean the art, animations and sound is what really makes the theme apparent. Unless every pin has a sculpted structure of something very recognizable how would u know and then if that structure isn't a mech used in the game its art as well. Just saying. What I'm talking about is the method used in Maiden is what I would prefer across the board when it comes to band pins. GnR and the live concert approach stinks and I don't want to see the band at all or here their terrible call outs.

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

On a similar note, I was curious if you who own the recent music pins burn out on the songs. I love Aerosmith and Zeppelin's music,
and have played the Aerosmith pro that's on a local route. When perusing what will be my only home game (at least for a while) I
hesitated on buying a couple used Aerosmith, and balked at ordering a new Zepp cause I think that I would tire of the hearing the songs
EVERY time and wish for more generic pin sounds. I fear that it could ruin the music for me!

Any thoughts?

peace,

-john

#19 3 years ago

Iron Maiden is awesome! Seems as though everything came together on it to create one of Stern’s best pins ever.

#20 3 years ago

IMDN has incredible flow not only with shots but the gameplay .It’s just tied in so well with shots ,art,modes,music .It all fits together .

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from eganvay:

On a similar note, I was curious if you who own the recent music pins burn out on the songs. I love Aerosmith and Zeppelin's music,
and have played the Aerosmith pro that's on a local route. When perusing what will be my only home game (at least for a while) I
hesitated on buying a couple used Aerosmith, and balked at ordering a new Zepp cause I think that I would tire of the hearing the songs
EVERY time and wish for more generic pin sounds. I fear that it could ruin the music for me!
Any thoughts?
peace,
-john

I don’t know how old you are but I’m 51 been listening to IMDN and metal music for a long ass time and keep turning it on over n over .Same as a pin if you like it you will always like it .

#22 3 years ago

From a completely different angle, I am totally NOT a metal head. My preference is for New Wave and Synth-based music.

I bought IMDN solely because I got a chance to play the prototype Archer at Expo, and fell in love with the layout and shots. We chose the Premium because my wife likes Egyptian art and design.

All that being said, I never knew ANY Maiden songs before I bought the pin. After hundreds of games, I totally dig the music ("Wasted Years" is my favorite). Each song really fits the mood of its mode, and everything (songs/sounds/art/rules) just works so well together.

Totally not tired of the music.

Later,
EV

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from eganvay:

Any thoughts?
peace,
-john

Most music pins do get fairly repetitive, especially the ones that play a small portion of the song and/or loop it from the beginning. Top that with only 8-10 songs, and it can get old quick.

I actually had no intent on buying GNR for this reason. But, then I saw how they integrated the band and music. It delivered on so many levels.

I think GNR and IMDN do music pins the best. Lots of variety, lots of energy.

#24 3 years ago

It was already mentioned, but I think Metallica is closest to IMDN in "not being a band/concert game". But IMDN is still a notch above there. I generally dislike the idea of "collecting" band members, songs, or playing concerts and tours and thus honestly don't really like music pins - yet I own and love both of these games...

I've loved Maiden's music for a couple decades, they have seldom not been in my music playlist rotation, but I was honestly not expecting to love the game before it was released, just expecting another typical band/concert game. Talk about exceeding expectations... I honestly can't imagine it being any better.

People often say a game is "bolted to the floor", only to turn around and sell said game in a year, if that. I've had my IMDN Pro since just after release, June 2018 I believe, and the only way I see myself ever selling it is to get a premium. It's a stellar game if you can accept the music, and if you love the music anyway (or grow to like it) it's damn near perfection.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Iron Maiden have a comic book series and the game is based on the comic.

I think the comic came from their Legacy of the Beast mobile game. Could have been a simultaneous release I suppose. The comics have dribbled out slowly. I got the first series and I think the first issue of the second series, then forgot about them. Heavy Metal has them on their site: https://www.heavymetal.com/products/iron-maiden-legacy-of-the-beast-vol2-night-city-issue-4-cover-a-john-lamantia

#26 3 years ago

Give Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle a try, it will blow you away. I think it’s pretty unique too, upper play field kicks fuckin ass! It’s not really a band theme other than the music plays when your battling monsters you find in the castle. Very addicting game and a new favorite of mine. But of course I still like and have IRMD.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:It’s not really a band theme other than the music plays when your battling monsters you find in the castle.

That's the problem. The music plays.

#28 3 years ago

Maiden is different in a few ways (besides the great layout) the band is absent from the game, but still a huge presence. It is based off of the video game (legacy of the beast, which is a great game once you get into it). Eddie is very versatile as a mascot, although i do think there are too many eddies on the playfield. The epic songs make for great modes. My name is andrew, and i am an iron maiden fan.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Give Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle a try, it will blow you away. I think it’s pretty unique too, upper play field kicks fuckin ass! It’s not really a band theme other than the music plays when your battling monsters you find in the castle. Very addicting game and a new favorite of mine. But of course I still like and have IRMD.

Ahhh, we have another winner. I have to agree that ACNC does not feel like a "band pin" either. I like how you navigate the map through the various rooms of the castle to get to the boss at the end.

OK, so we've got IDMN and ACNC. Any others like this I'm missing?

Thanks,
Eric

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

They all feature pictures (and sometime names) of the band members. Often times, "collecting" the band mates is part of the ruleset.

Iron Maiden is the only game I can think of that doesn't do this.

#tommy-pinball-wizard is about their rock opera. I don't think the band members are mentioned.
Elvis has song modes but I don't think collecting Elvis is incorporated into the rules.
KISS doesn't but KISS (Pro) kind of does. I forget if they build towards a wizard mode or a bonus-ish feature.
Roy Clark The Entertainer probably doesn't mention Roy or depend on collecting him.
Al's Garage Band goes on a World Tour Beat Time Dolly Parton Nugent Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones don't know the rules on these.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

That's the problem. The music plays.

To each their own. The music fits the theme and modes for the most part. There’s much worse out there.

#32 3 years ago

1980 Bally Rolling Stones features all the band members (at that time) on the Backglass and the Plastics. Mick is featured himself (of course) on the playfield art (his front and back). The two songs in all their synthesized glory are the opening notes of "Miss You" and "Satisfaction".

No modes for the band members.

#33 3 years ago

Good shooting game with the worst music of all the music pins.

Quoted from jbovenzi:

1980 Bally Rolling Stones features all the band members (at that time) on the Backglass and the Plastics. Mick is featured himself (of course) on the playfield art (his front and back). The two songs in all their synthesized glory are the opening notes of "Miss You" and "Satisfaction".
No modes for the band members.

Isn’t the game over riff from Jumpin Jack flash?

#34 3 years ago

Yes it is. Forgot that one.

#35 3 years ago

I would say that Rob Zombie is more of a horror movie pin than a music pin.

#36 3 years ago

What can be more fun than targeting Mick as he dances across the playfield on Stern "The Rolling Stones" (sort of reminds me of trying to hit the ball cart at the driving range)?

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What can be more fun than targeting Mick as he dances across the playfield on Stern "The Rolling Stones" (sort of reminds me of trying to hit the ball cart at the driving range)?

It actually is fun and you only need to hit him for one of the multiballs. The rest of the time you need sniper skills to shoot around him.

Much deeper game code than anyone gives it credit for.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

It actually is fun and you only need to hit him for one of the multiballs. The rest of the time you need sniper skills to shoot around him.
Much deeper game code than anyone gives it credit for.

While I jest a little, I did enjoy playing the pin a few years back when a local movie theater had one in their lobby. Not a Stones fan at all, but I dropped about $10 in the game and the fun of hitting dancing Mick is what kept sucking up my dollar bills.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard is about their rock opera. I don't think the band members are mentioned.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I would say that Rob Zombie is more of a horror movie pin than a music pin.

Two more great suggestions that are not centered around the band/members or the stage show.

So, we've now got IDMN, ACNC, Tommy, and Rob Zombie (ish-it does have his zombie persona in the artwork...).

Any more?

Thanks,
EV

#40 3 years ago

I’ll likely be grabbing another IMDN when stern runs them later this year or find one local.
Simply a fantastic pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/band-pins-is-iron-maiden-unique and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.