Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LOTR screws (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

I researched this forum for help with my problem but none of those ideas are working for me.

The balrog motor just continues to run as soon as the machine is powered up. The Balrog has acted a little flaky in the past, blocking the ramp sometimes when it shouldn’t but it always seem to fix itself till now.

I removed the balrog assembly(top of play field) off the motor’s rotating post so I could observe the action without the balrog banging back and forth. I put the machine in test mode and selected the balrog test function which displays the two switches related to the motor rotation. The motor just runs and rotates and according to the display the switches are working. My guess is the switches are responsible for telling the machine when to run/stop the motor and which direction it should turn. The motor just keeps rotating in one direction, never stops and the switches keep opening and closing as the motor rotates.

I removed the bidirectional relay board and reflowed the solder. No change. I ordered a new relay and had a technician replace the relay and the diode. No change. I disconnected and reconnected all the connectors, even the ribbon cable. I tested continuity on the bidirectional board and all the wires and everything checked out.

The only other step I could take would be to replace the motor mechanism. However it’s $150 and I’m not at all convinced that’s the problem.

Any suggestions. Thanks for reading.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from proscript:

Any suggestions.

Contact Stern tech support.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from proscript:

My guess is the switches are responsible for telling the machine when to run/stop the motor and which direction it should turn.

They are, these are cheap enough to just replace them both, if for no other reason then to rule them out as the problem, but odds are your issues will go away with new switches.

#4 1 year ago

Do the switched trigger in the switch test?

#5 1 year ago

Under the field. There's a plastic...uh...'barrel' surrounding the post going up through the playfield. It will have two deep holes in the side, with screws down in there. Give those screws a strong twist. TIGHT.

LOTR screws (resized).png

#6 1 year ago

Mine did that. I replaced the switches and works great now.

#9 1 year ago

If you decide to add new Balrog wiring (since you might be in there), the only place I could find it was on eBay

#10 1 year ago

Thanks all for the interest and feedback.

The switches register in the switch test. That rules them out as a problem. Right?

#11 1 year ago

Lloyd’s advice was the winner. Contacted Stern and they suggested replacing the Q22 transistor and that did the trick.

Thanks all for helping!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from proscript:

Lloyd’s advice was the winner.

it usually is

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Warsaw, IN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside