Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SuperBrightLEDs_BOM (resized).JPG
Balrog_Bash (resized).JPG
Balrog_StartGame (resized).JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Is the only replacement for the LED in the Balrog the 13 volt bulb from Cointaker?

#2 11 years ago

I think any 13/12 volt BA9 type LED will work to replace the Balrog LED (but will not replace the old incandescent). The BA9 are available on various internet sites.

#3 11 years ago

This one may work and is red the way you probably want it:

http://www.amazon.com/LED-T10-BA9S-5HP-5050-SMDLED-RD-Adapter-Bright-Interior-Console/dp/B00AR13AOK/ref=sr_1_19

I decided to order one. It should be quite a bit brighter than the LED Stern used.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks DCFAN, I'm not big on LED's so I don't order from Cointaker. Hopefully these will work. The shipping price is right!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

The shipping price is right!

LOL, free shipping

#6 11 years ago

Is this the only game that uses a 13 volt BA9s/44/47 style bulb?

#7 11 years ago

The stock one seems plenty bright to me. Never felt the need to upgrade.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The stock one seems plenty bright to me. Never felt the need to upgrade.

The thing tends to die getting bonked over and over, at least mine did many times.

#9 11 years ago

I got it in the mail today, I'll report back later how it works.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

The thing tends to die getting bonked over and over, at least mine did many times.

Interesting. I've owned LOTR twice now and never had an issue on either one of them.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Interesting. I've owned LOTR twice now and never had an issue on either one of them.

Maybe you need to bash Balrog more. My LED was broken off from the base.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well I've only owned it once I guess.... but it's been over 8 years now. Switched bulbs a few times over the first year then changed to the LED and never had a problem since.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks DCFan, I ordered one too. Will report on how it works.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Thanks DCFan, I ordered one too. Will report on how it works.

I hope you get the right item. I received mine yesterday and it was wedge base rather than bayonet. I sent them and e-mail and they apologized and said they will send me the correct LED.
The nice thing is that Amazon is really good about protecting the buyer.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Maybe you need to bash Balrog more.

lol

#16 11 years ago

I can barely see the keyboard to type this. That fire breathing monster has never looked so mean! Gandolf the Gray stood up to him and said "None shall see!" it was so bright!

Ok, so actually, the bulb didn't work. So they are 0-2 it seems. Next stop, Amazon to ask for another.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Ok, so actually, the bulb didn't work. So they are 0-2 it seems. Next stop, Amazon to ask for another.

That is disappointing

1 week later
#18 11 years ago

DCFAN, did you ever get your replacement? I'm still waiting on my, just sent them another email. They said they'd replace it without me having to send in the defective unit.

#19 11 years ago

Mine arrived this week. It is the correct bayonet style. Unfortunately, I have been working late every evening and haven't had a chance to install it yet. Will update once I do. Fingers crossed.

#20 11 years ago

If that doesn't work, just order this http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00.
Mine already had the correct socket so I just used the bulb.

#21 11 years ago

Never got into Balrog before to change the bulb. Pretty easy?

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Ha not really. Need to remove Balrog from the frame, which involves removing a screw that is attached to a switch in the back.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

It is kind of close quarters in there, but not too bad at all. The manual has a nice drawing of it that is helpful.

Post edited by txstargazer3 : Typo

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

Ha not really. Need to remove Balrog from the frame, which involves removing a screw that is attached to a switch in the back.

You can swing Balrog over to the right to access the back. There are two screws that hold a metal plate on the back. I think they are nutdriver screws. Take those off, then you'll see the switch. Those are phillips head screws for that. Get that out of the way, and you'll see the screw for the light socket. Don't remember which kind of screw it is. Just grab the normal size nutdriver and a phillips head screwdriver, a shorty is nice.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

You can swing Balrog over to the right to access the back. There are two screws that hold a metal plate on the back. I think they are nutdriver screws. Take those off, then you'll see the switch. Those are phillips head screws for that. Get that out of the way, and you'll see the screw for the light socket. Don't remember which kind of screw it is. Just grab the normal size nutdriver and a phillips head screwdriver, a shorty is nice.

yea that's true, I think just the first time trying to figure it out was a bit of a pain. Once you know what your doing it's easy, but definitely not the easiest light to change in the game.

#26 11 years ago

Great! Thanks guys! Now that I think about it, I haven't seen my Balrog flash in awhile so it might have finally burned out.

I remember when I first replaced the ring flasher I never knew existed with a white LED flasher. I was blown away! :-p

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

yea that's true, I think just the first time trying to figure it out was a bit of a pain. Once you know what your doing it's easy, but definitely not the easiest light to change in the game.

Amen to that. The first time I did it I pulled the cotter pin and unhooked the assembly from under the playfield and pulled the entire assembly off.

#28 11 years ago

I ordered a double stack set from ebay, $5, free shipping, and there are two to a set.

I used one of the 5 HP ones a while back that was a 5v just to see what it looked like. For the 10 seconds it worked, it look goooooooood.

#29 11 years ago

I ordered one of these LEDS that DCFAN suggested.I put it in and it didn't work.Because this bulb is polarized I had to switch the wires on the socket and it worked fine.Thanks DCFAN for the lead on this bulb.

#30 11 years ago

Ahhhh.....Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from brz:

I ordered one of these LEDS that DCFAN suggested.I put it in and it didn't work.Because this bulb is polarized I had to switch the wires on the socket and it worked fine.Thanks DCFAN for the lead on this bulb.

I'm not electrical, and don't get polarized...
Does this mean you just soldered them to the opposite sides they were initially on?

#32 11 years ago

Yes, because of the type of socket you have to do it in this case. A 555 bulb you could just turn 180 degrees.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Yes, because of the type of socket you have to do it in this case. A 555 bulb you could just turn 180 degrees.

Cool. Thanks. I will order some today!
How does the light look?

#34 11 years ago

Switched the leads tonight, works great now, thanks BRZ! I did make an easy job tough. Putting the screw back in that holds the light, I got it cross-threaded. The aluminum "nut" that was glued into the Balrog starting turning and pulled out, so I had to take the thing apart, run a tap and die on the screw and connector and glue it back in.

Now that it's back together it looks good. I guess I owe them an apology.

#35 11 years ago

Whatever is in mine (2004) has never failed.

#36 11 years ago

Dewey how is the brightness of the new 5-sided LED?

#37 11 years ago

I was able to take an incandescent 44 type bulb and break the glass on it. I then took the 5-sided wedge LED that I received and took that out of the wedge base and soldered just the LED part to the 44 style base. It worked like a charm. The nice thing about the 5 sided LED is that it is a little brighter but also lights up the back of the Balrog's neck so it looks like it is on fire.

The same wedge style 5-sided LEDs are also sold by Cointaker so I think I would buy from them and make my own 44 style out of that if I ever needed a replacement.
The picture below shows the back of the neck lit up and gives it a nice fire look:
IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0438.JPG

#38 11 years ago

Just want to say thanks for the polarity tip! The Balrog is back!

6 years later
#39 5 years ago

Hi-

I read the advice from Pinside at the bottom of this thread, but I'm resurrecting it because it was helpful in my quest to fix my own Balrog light, and current info is hard to find. I thought I'd tack on a solution for 2019.

Previous owners of my LOTR had switched to the 44/47 (9 mm) bayonet mount (probably from the Stern kit described in the bulletin), but the LED in there was broken. I of course tried to put in a standard 5V 44 bulb, and it burned bright for several seconds until it burned out.

Here is a link to a now-discontinued bulb, provided by DCFAN
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-balrog-led#post-480508

At Super Bright LEDs, I found BA9s LED bulbs with 9 mm bayonet base, operating in the range necessary for the 12.6V flasher voltage. The five 5050 SMD LEDs on the bulb emit light in 360 degrees. I chose & installed red, but also bought warm white just in case.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-ba9s-retrofit-car/2077/4725/

I had to switch the polarity in order for the BA9s LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs to work, by re-soldering the wire leads to opposite sides of the bayonet mount inside the Balrog.

This update also applies to these old threads:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-flasher-inferno
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-balrog-led
Useful info to remove parts to get at light here:
https://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/XSWhLdtc/replacing-the-flasher-for-balrog-on-lotr
(I see LTG was helping people at r.g.p. a long time ago!)

A video of the Balrog at the beginning of FOTR multiball:

Finally, some pictures of the Balrog at game start, during a Bash Balrog sequence, and of the LED.
Balrog_StartGame (resized).JPGBalrog_StartGame (resized).JPGBalrog_Bash (resized).JPGBalrog_Bash (resized).JPGSuperBrightLEDs_BOM (resized).JPGSuperBrightLEDs_BOM (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balrog-led and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.