(Topic ID: 30333)

Bally/Williams or Stern - What's Your Pick?

By Pintoxicated

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by phil-lee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If both were currently available brand new, would you buy a Stern or Bally/Williams machine NIB?”

• Stern 44 votes
      20%
    • Bally/Williams 173 votes
      80%

(217 votes)

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Maybe all this poses another question.

Irrespective of which companies could/would/are making brand new machines. With today's pinball market and the way the world is travelling financially, is there only room for one large scale and successful pinball manufacturer?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Maybe all this poses another question.
    Irrespective of which companies could/would/are making brand new machines. With today's pinball market and the way the world is travelling financially, is there only room for one large scale and successful pinball manufacturer?

We will find out soon enough

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

Probably had to do with they "toys" on those older BWM's games being much more complex then what you see put out be Stern today. SM is one of my favorite all time games but there really isnt anything to complex about the features on it. Probably the main reason ive never had to do anything but clean it & re-rubber it.

I don't think that is really true. Yeah, SM doesn't have that many unique toys, but neither do most B/W games. Games like BBH, TRS, and CSI just for a few have pretty darn complex toys like a few of the B/W games.

The real difference is that in 1995, when you pulled out your brand new in the box game, you were expected to need to tweak it some to make it earn. Operators also generally attempted to care for those games a little more, and not just leave them to die.

Stern recognized that the times were changing, and realized that operators were becoming less savvy about checking and tweaking their machines, and knew they needed to make them work better to keep sales going.

#54 9 years ago

If I could buy NIB it would be the olders ones. For whatever reason I enjoy the entire games of the Bally/Williams Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone or Attack from Mars. The calls outs, sayings, playfield layout in these games are just too good and make them extremely fun to play. I also prefer orginal themes much more which B/W did more of and I wish Stern would try. I know MM is the only orginal theme out of the three above but I feel like they all feel like orginal pins at times by the way there were designed.

My favorite Sterns are LOTR & SM for sure because of the game play but the three above I feel more attached to and would want to own first. As for AC/DC Pro I feel they really could have done more with the game layout which bores me compared to LOTR and SM. I thought this woudl have been a great NIB to buy but after playing it was not convinced and felt more reward in GNR game field layout.

#55 9 years ago

Ok now this is just an opinion. When Williams was making machines, there was competition right? So if you have competition, you are going to put more quality in your machines to make them more appealing? Well now there is no competition (that will soon end) but when you do not have competition, you may not pay much attention to quality? Sure bad quality will ensure no profit for a company, but you all are die hard pinball people...some of you who collect have 9 or more machines! and I hear people stating that they have more than 1 new one! I think Stern uses that to their advantage, that you all are diehards and will buy a machine regardless....so now add the lack of competition and there is your answer! right?

#56 9 years ago

every one talks about B/W, didn't Williams and Bally only conglomerate right at the end. Like TZ and SS are Bally games and games like MM and MB are Williams no? I thought B\W was only in the times of pinball2000.

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

every one talks about B/W, didn't Williams and Bally only conglomerate right at the end. Like TZ and SS are Bally games and games like MM and MB are Williams no? I thought B\W was only in the times of pinball2000.

The way I understand it, from the Tilt: The Battle to Save pinball documentary, Williams bought the Bally rights, parts, warehouse, the whole thing in the early 90's. At least around the time of The Addams Family.
    TAF was made under the name Bally, because it was made from Bally parts and I suppose from the Bally factory. P.Lawlor talked about it in the documentary. They didn't expect TAF to do anywhere near as well as it did, because of the Bally name.

#58 9 years ago

The merger was a little earlier, around the development of Truck Stop and Elvira and the Party Monsters. Technically all the games going forward are Williams, but half the games produced bare the Bally logo. Every DMD from the company is B/W.

#59 9 years ago

Data East.

4 years later
    #60 4 years ago

I have changed all the Williams machines in my gameroom to Sterns! ( Ghostbusters, and GOT, which are my latest additions are as good as the best WMS pins are)!!

2 years later
    #61 1 year ago

WMS/Bally all the way, they had a lot better designed and better quality games. But honestly Pats Dialed In and Willy Wonka are very close to Williams. They are perfectly designed but lacks the quality parts of a WPC system game.

1 month later
    #62 1 year ago

With the arrival of Sterns Black Knight SOR you can see the difference from Williams BK2K. I think it kind of sums it up right there. The upper Playfield, toys, and feel. You can see the differences, good and bad, from both. In my opinion though, if you can say Stern wins on that then there is nothing left to talk about. In the end, YOU’ve got the power, YOU’ve got the might, get out of here and go-Beat the Black Knight! Ahhhhhh, ahhhhh, ahhhhh, ahhhhhh

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinicus:

With the arrival of Sterns Black Knight SOR you can see the difference from Williams BK2K. I think it kind of sums it up right there. The upper Playfield, toys, and feel. You can see the differences, good and bad, from both. In my opinion though, if you can say Stern wins on that then there is nothing left to talk about. In the end, YOU’ve got the power, YOU’ve got the might, get out of here and go-Beat the Black Knight! Ahhhhhh, ahhhhh, ahhhhh, ahhhhhh

Had the opportunity to play BKSOR recently, really wanted to give it a decent shot so loaded up some coins, played, then came back and did it again. I'm sorry but what a lame machine. I am not a bad player but don't remember actually engaging the Knight device once, just clunks,dead heads and quick drains. Enjoy difficult games and love to try an master them, this was just a mess.
    I would jump over 3 sterns to get to a classic Bally or Williams.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside