• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_32421_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Weird issue here. I'm new in the community/hobby, and am hoping one of my fellow pinheads with experience with Bally/Williams 90s pins can help me troubleshoot.

Whenever I start a game on my NBA FB, the balls just sit in the trough, and are not ejected out to the shooter lane.

All solenoids are firing fine when I run the Solenoid Test, including the eject ball solenoid. When running the Switch Edges test, all the trough optos are all detecting the balls when I slowly roll a ball down the trough.

What am I missing here? Is there something else I should check to troubleshoot this?

Thanks guys!

#2 7 years ago

If you cannot figure it out, I am in San Jose and would be happy to help you.

Marc

#3 7 years ago

Hey Marc, thanks for the offer. Sorry man, I need to update my profile... I'm no longer in San Jose. Just moved recently to San Ramon.

#4 7 years ago

Well, I can help you here

Coin door interlock switch working properly? Trying to think of simple explanations for why the coil wouldn't fire when it works in test and the trough switches work.

Also, are the correct number of balls in the game?

Marc

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:Well, I can help you here
Marc

LOL I'll take it! Thanks....

Quoted from pintechev:

Well, I can help you here
Coin door interlock switch working properly?

I'm pretty sure it's working. I mean, the solenoid test won't run unless I hold the switch down.

Quoted from pintechev:

Also, are the correct number of balls in the game?
Marc

Yup. I have all 4 balls in the trough when starting the game.

This wasn't an issue until recently, actually. One of the solenoid fuses on the driver board blew out. I replaced it, and all solenoids worked again. Unfortunately, this new issue reared it's head.

#6 7 years ago

OK, looks like there are two coin door switches. The bottom coin door switch doesn't seem to do anything significant. However, the top switch needs to be pressed down in order for Solenoids to fire. That said, the "handle" that protrudes from the coin door, only holds down the bottom switch, and NOT the top switch. Is this normal for a Bally-Williams game from the 90s? Seems strange that the top switch is the one that needs to be held down, yet there is no hardware protruding from the coin door to keep it held down when the door is shut.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

To clarify.... When I run Switch Edges test, the bottom button registers as a "Coin door closed". The top button registers nothing. However, in real use, the top button is the one that needs to be held down in order for Solenoids to fire.

Confused. Lol

#8 7 years ago

OK, after doing some research online, it looks like this top switch is put in place as a safety for users vs. their coils and Solenoids. My question however is, should my coin door have some sort of bracket that holds BOTH this button, and the button below it? The bracket on there now, only holds down the lower button, leaving this top switch open.

#9 7 years ago

You can pull that top switch out and if there's nothing to push it in, it will just stay out. Maybe someone replaced the coin door. As for your trough problem, are there divots in the trough preventing the balls from rolling down?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

OK, after doing some research online, it looks like this top switch is put in place as a safety for users vs. their coils and Solenoids. My question however is, should my coin door have some sort of bracket that holds BOTH this button, and the button below it? The bracket on there now, only holds down the lower button, leaving this top switch open.

The top switch is the HV cut out switch to disable flippers, coils and flashers when the coin door is open. It has 3 positions. A momentary IN position that enables the HV when the door is closed. A middle OFF position to disable the HV when the door is open. There is also a maintained SERVICE position that enables the HV when that button is pulled out.

There should be a metal L-bracket that pushes both of those switches closed when the coin door is closed. Someone probably removed that bracket and just pulled the top switch out to get the game to work.

The bottom switch is a memory protect switch and won't allow any changes to settings with the door closed.

The bracket is what I have circled in red in the picture below. Location of the bracket on the coin door is dependent on where the switches are located in the cabinet.

IMG_32421_(resized).jpgIMG_32421_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

The top switch is the HV cut out switch to disable flippers, coils and flashers when the coin door is open. It has 3 positions. A momentary IN position that enables the HV when the door is closed. A middle OFF position to disable the HV when the door is open. There is also a maintained SERVICE position that enables the HV when that button is pulled out.
There should be a metal L-bracket that pushes both of those switches closed when the coin door is closed. Someone probably removed that bracket and just pulled the top switch out to get the game to work.
The bottom switch is a memory protect switch and won't allow any changes to settings with the door closed.
The bracket is what I have circled in red in the picture below. Location of the bracket on the coin door is dependent on where the switches are located in the cabinet.

Got it. Yeah, someone must have replaced the original bracket with another one that only holds down the bottom button. Thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

You can pull that top switch out and if there's nothing to push it in, it will just stay out. Maybe someone replaced the coin door. As for your trough problem, are there divots in the trough preventing the balls from rolling down?

Thanks. I'll try pulling it out then. This is the reason why the balls weren't getting fed into the shooter lane.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballywilliams-90s-balls-do-not-eject-out-of-trough-when-starting-gam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.