New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 120734)

Ballys / Switch used for Free play

By Raff

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Raff
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150309_214850.jpg
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG
Image-1.jpg 3.jpg
Image-1.jpg
photo 2.JPG
328471-i.jpg
credit-door-switch-l.jpg

#1 5 years ago

if i wanted to set my ballys star trek to free play with a switch / whats the best switch to use for it and a link to where i can buy one would be good

#2 5 years ago

it just doesnt work that way..

your options are a switch across the coin switch, an extra leaf on the start button to add a credit each time, an alltek board, setting replay to 10k so you always get it, setting a coin slot to 15 credits per coin and using it as a money box.. or . i probably missed one . you get the idea. there is no 'free play' setting on the standard mpu.

#3 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-a-bally-to-free-play

this is a nice clean way of doing it, it's from pin logic but the site seems to be down right now.

credit-door-switch-l.jpg
#4 5 years ago

this is what i did to one of my machine (red push button). it's connected to coin switch.

328471-i.jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this is what i did to one of my machine

cant type ...blinded by shiny door

#6 5 years ago

Unfortunately, Tom Callahan of Pin-logic closed business. I should have bought up all his coin door switches.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

cant type ...blinded by shiny door

lollll, gotta wear sunglasses when playing this machine.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Unfortunately, Tom Callahan of Pin-logic closed business. I should have bought up all his coin door switches.

hmmmmm, not sure but i think i saw somewhere something similar... gonna have to look.

#9 5 years ago

i have a machine with that set upphoto 2.JPGImage-1.jpg Image-1.jpg 3.jpg
sorry i should try explaining it a little bit better i just need to know what this switch is called and where to buy it from , the two wires are connected to the switch on the outside and the coin switch press the button and the games pop up

#10 5 years ago

I've got a Future Spa and an Embryon, both of which have one of the coin switches mounted in such a way that the reject button activates them.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

i knew something similar could work, like this.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2801

#13 5 years ago

the red switch looks good mounted on the inside ,so that switch is it just a standard on and off, by the way your door looks like it just came off the production line

#14 5 years ago

you want single pole single throw SPST push on momentary N/O ( normally open).

jaycar CAT.NO: SP0700 is an example but there will be other smaller ones

#15 5 years ago

any arcade fire button will work (thats what you have there, similar).

you could use a flipper button with a leaf switch behind.

#16 5 years ago

going to jay car tomorrow I am sure i will find a switch there , should i be adding a diode to it

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

going to jay car tomorrow I am sure i will find a switch there , should i be adding a diode to it

nope.

#18 5 years ago

how about a free play rom? you may have to change jumpers though , epending onwha you have as a u6 in the game now.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It actually looks pretty darn close to a Gottlieb system 3 trough switch, but with a different wire on the switch.

[edit]: Actually, with the right parts, this actually might be something I could re-make. Plus, I have examples of Bally (sort-of), Stern, and Gottlieb coin doors, so I might be able to adapt something to fit all of them. I'll have to think about this a bit more this evening.

#20 5 years ago

On a Bally, we move the coin switch up high enough that the coin reject plate hits it with the coin mech removed. That way there is no exposed switch and the door looks stock. Just push the coin return for a credit.

#21 5 years ago

Does it matter where you connect the wires
To the switch lugs

#22 5 years ago

You can just wire in two additional wires to the start switch and connect them to the center (unused?) coin switch. Toss a diode in the line and you shouldn't have a problem. I rig all my Bally's to run free play off the start switch either through this method or through a second leaf switch behind the Existing start switch. Adds a credit and starts a game at the same time. I can upload a picture of what I'm talking about later tonight, but it's a very easy wire-up.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I've got a Future Spa and an Embryon, both of which have one of the coin switches mounted in such a way that the reject button activates them.

Wait, doesn't Embryon have a free play setting? Been a while since I had one, but I swear there's a dip switch on that game for it.

#24 5 years ago

photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG works good

#26 5 years ago

Here's a photo just in case. Essentially, just connect your coin wires to the start switch, inserting a diode to the same tie in as the existing diode. No need for a second switch where you'd have to open the door, and it credits and starts a game at the same time. I put a connector in their too for quick disconnect to coin play.

20150309_214850.jpg
#27 5 years ago

I will use your way goonie with a diode and just connect the coin wires to the start button on my royal flush machine

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 103.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside