DSCN0079_(resized).JPG
DSCN0077_(resized).JPG
DSCN0075_(resized).JPG
DSCN0069_(resized).JPG
DSCN0076_(resized).JPG
IMG_20160202_221253[1]_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160205_142634[1]_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone. Recently purchased a Ballys freedom for $25. Was functional. Machine would accept credits and start via the front button. Fixed a score reel issue, and machine properly reset and would play thru correctly.

The 50v 10a fuse located on the front top left fuse bank(3 fuses) recently blew out. Replaced the fuse but now I do not get any response when attempting to add credits front the coin counter. Also no response with manually entered credits. Machine does not start now.

Any ideas where to start?

Also the Game over interrupt relay will show a blue spark on the very top left contact when manually switching it.

Decided I would start replacing all the dead bulbs. Hand repainting the unit while its dead as well

IMG_20160205_142634[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160205_142634[1]_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160202_221253[1]_(resized).jpgIMG_20160202_221253[1]_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I am not 100% certain but think the fuse blew when removing a dead bug between the first relay on the right inside the cabinet. It is labeled coin.

I know... turn off the machine :/

When I turn on the machine, The wheel score relay is attempting to energize. (3rd relay from front left in cabinet)
If manually switched, blue spark visible on very top left contact. Remains closed once manually switched.

Located in South Texas.

#3 8 years ago

If you have not already, you need to go through and tighten all the switch stacks, clean/adjust switches as needed, dis assemble, clean/lube all step units and score reels, and chk the coin switches.
remove bulbs, clean sockets.
go back to that coil without the bug, and see if you knocked something outa whack.
got the schematic? get one from PBR.
cant really tell from pics, but looks like a fair amount of rust inside?
it cud use a good cleaning.

#4 8 years ago

To the best of my ability: I tightened all the switch stacks. Cleaned/adjusted the switches on all the cabinet relays very carefully. Bulbs are changed out and sockets cleaned. I do have the schematics pdf but even on a 55" in tv its crazy hard to read.

Did find a broke wire on the player 4 100,000 point relay. Also two wires on the player 4 wheel but these were known issues and not fixed prior to the problem. Currently soldering the wires. Here is what i have prior to wire repair:

Powered on the unit lights up. No response from coin credit or door start. No response if i flip the reset relay or lock relay. If i manually reset the GO interrupt relay. It tries to energize the wheel score relay but doesnt, if manually assisted the wheel score relay will in turn energize the ball index and outhole relays. On the backboard 2,3 and 4 player 100,000 relays attempt to close. When the game over relay is manually reset the game can be played but the center bonus wheel doesnt cycle and hole poppers dont function.
Looking for my electron microscope so i can read the schems

#5 8 years ago

Right triangle front Bumper froze up in a game prior to the fail and caused the topside fuse near the bridge rectifier to blow. Game functioned normally after but when i decided to remove the dead roach from under the coin relay I somehow caused the blown 50v 10a fuse and current non functional unit....

#6 8 years ago

Some internal pictures..DSCN0069_(resized).JPGDSCN0069_(resized).JPG

DSCN0076_(resized).JPGDSCN0076_(resized).JPG

DSCN0075_(resized).JPGDSCN0075_(resized).JPG

DSCN0077_(resized).JPGDSCN0077_(resized).JPG

DSCN0079_(resized).JPGDSCN0079_(resized).JPG

DSCN0078_(resized).JPGDSCN0078_(resized).JPG

DSCN0080_(resized).JPGDSCN0080_(resized).JPG

DSCN0081_(resized).JPGDSCN0081_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#7 8 years ago

I recently had something similar happen, and it drove me nuts. Turned out I had bumped and/or jarred a slam switch under the pf while lifting it up and down. I was too focused on the original issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballys-freedom-1976-unit-3206-restart-issues-fuse-blown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.