(Topic ID: 216858)

Ballys Eightball Deluxe drop targets are falling on their own?

By goldwing68nv

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1D2D2A4E-2675-404D-8D17-17860E01ED62 (resized).jpeg
CD98AC0B-3081-44D3-8FBE-424ED5D854C4 (resized).jpeg
0512181702 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

hello everyone.... i recently purchased a used 1981 Ballys Eightball Deluxe pin and i'm having an issue... as i'm playing the game, some of the drop targets on the rh target bank (labeled 1-ball thru 7-ball) will periodically drop, by themselves, without them being hit by the ball? and when i say "periodically", its happening on just about every single game i play. so it looks as though its due to vibrations thru the pf that the various bumpers create,especially the large pop bumpers? looks like some of those drop targets were replaced recently with re-pro parts, and even though they are all "hooded"-style drop targets,you can tell the difference between the 4 newer targets & the 3 older oem ones,as the tops of them are slightly different in shape & thickness, but once again,it's a very small difference. so i was wondering if anyone has run into this very same issue, on a 30+ yr old game and if so,what they did to fix it? i've been told to replace the full set of 7 drop targets with a fresh,new "matched" set of re-pro drop targets? also, looking at the mechanics of the drop target system, i am wondering if the "springs" that connect to the underside of them have weakened over time and not keeping the targets taught against where they rest on the pf, in their raised position? any and all advice,tips,etc is GREATLY appreciated! i love this game alot,but in its current state,its a bit disappointing & frustrating to have various drop targets fall before the ball hits them! lol.... oh btw, i've watched ALL 7 drop targets fall periodically so the issue isnt confined to just a few select targets and many times when a target falls on its own, 1 or 2 of them will fall together at the same time! it ... ugh,lol!! i've played another EBD pin at a local arcade and havent seen any of that game's targets fall on their own,having played that pin for months & months? so i'm pretty sure this issue, that my pin is having, is NOT a normal characteristic of the game?

lastly,i've attached 1 pic of that drop target bank i speak of...you can see the slight mis-match between the old oem ones compared to the newer re-pros. the tops,looking down as the pic shows, is what i'm noticing a bit different? whether that has any bearing or not, on my issue, i just wanted to mention this,plus show a pic of it! thanks.

0512181702 (resized).jpg0512181702 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Not sure if you'll need to replace the targets or springs or anything, but something i discovered recently about this game: if you collect the A, B, C, and D rollovers, it sinks the remaining 1-7 balls that haven't been sunk yet. Don't let that throw you off!

#3 5 years ago

hmmmm? thats very interesting! thx alot for that info,good to know! the issue i'm having is def not due to that scenerio, unfortunately, it seems to happen randomly as i play a game and, at any given time while playing, any particular standing 1-7 target will just drop,seemingly about the same time as the ball bounces off a bumper,which i suppose is vibration then transferring thru the pf enough to rattle the drop target area just enough to have 1 (and sometimes 2) targets drop at the same time...this is happening to me each & every game i play.

#4 5 years ago

Design feature, including carry over if more than one player. These are MPU controlled drop targets, meaning they can be adjusted via dip switches to 0,1, or 2 targets through the A-D lanes, Review your manual for details.

Targets should not be dropping from individual switch contacts or vibration. If they do cleaning, replacements, and adjustments may be required on the entire bank. All targets should be the same height and positioning.

#5 5 years ago

I had an issue on my Fathom where the targets were dropping on target reset and from vibrations and this was my solution although EBD has a different set up I thought I would mention it anyway. Never saw anyone else mention this fix and wasn’t sure it would work but seems to have solved the problem. All I did was I moved the bar the springs were attached to out as there was another set of holes seemingly just for that purpose. It pulled the springs more outward holding targets tighter. Sometimes occasionally it will brick but not often and targets staying up now.

CD98AC0B-3081-44D3-8FBE-424ED5D854C4 (resized).jpegCD98AC0B-3081-44D3-8FBE-424ED5D854C4 (resized).jpeg

1D2D2A4E-2675-404D-8D17-17860E01ED62 (resized).jpeg1D2D2A4E-2675-404D-8D17-17860E01ED62 (resized).jpeg

#6 5 years ago

ok, all great info there...thx again guys for your input,pics & your time..., any addtl comments are welcome too! : )

#7 5 years ago

I would get new springs & targets and that should solve your issue

#8 5 years ago

yeah i was orig thinking new springs (at the very least) and probably a new set of matched targets.....so with all the various pinball parts on-line sources, who would u guys recommend to get replacement springs/targets, for top quality/oem accurate-build quality?

#9 5 years ago

Marco pinball has them I’m sure others too

#10 5 years ago

cool beans,thx.... yeah i've ordered from them before, for other stuff.

#11 5 years ago

The targets are dropping for 2 possible reasons,
mechanical as discussed so far,
electrical, the knock down coils are firing at the wrong time. This could suggest a problem with the solenoid expander.
Make sure you run a solenoid test and insure the coils are energizing to the correct number.

#12 5 years ago

One way to know for sure is shut the game off then bang around with your fist if the targets start dropping replace targets & springs.

#13 5 years ago

got it, will add that latest info to my overall diag...thank you,guys!

#14 5 years ago

on a separate note, i see Buffalo Grove,Illinois for the location of member BigAl56..nice,thats 2 burbs away from where i grew up,which is in Glenview,Il.... i'm a Chicago boy "transplant" to the Phx,Az area for work, some years ago....this internet "thing" sure makes it a small world,huh? lol!

....thx again to ALL for responding!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 179.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 90.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ballys-eightball-deluxe-drop-targets-are-falling-on-their-own?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.