• Light oil 0 votes

(7 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200217_132429 (resized).jpg
ZipFlip3a.jpg
20200215_073222 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of a Bally zipper mechanism rebuild. This mech was filthy and full of old grease and dried up crud. I cleaned the whole assembly, replaced all of the nylon washers with new parts and installed new nyliner bushings on the cam arms. I will be installing new coils, cranks, EOS, etc.

Is there any portion that should be lubricated? The center slide part that moves back and forth rides on collars and washers. There could be quite a bit of friction there.

I'm adding a poll to this post and looking for feedback.

20200215_073222 (resized).jpg20200215_073222 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

Maybe some superlube but definitely no oil or grease. There is hardly any movement or friction with the mechanism.

#3 4 years ago

Graphite Powdered Lubricant Probably would Not Hurt.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies thus far. Hoping for more feedback.

#5 4 years ago

I agree with the other posters. I would stick with a thin coating of superlube. Graphite would also probably work but, don’t use too much or you will be cleaning it up for quite awhile.

#6 4 years ago

If you find a source for the main coil on the zipper flipper mechanism please let me know. I have not found one so far. I have been relying on spares out of parts machines. As the interest in zipper flipper games grows we may have to have a coil manufacturer do a special run. I know I would buy 5.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

If you find a source for the main coil on the zipper flipper mechanism please let me know. I have not found one so far. I have been relying on spares out of parts machines. As the interest in zipper flipper games grows we may have to have a coil manufacturer do a special run. I know I would buy 5.

Apparently these may be able to be modified to suit?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-Bally-Pinball-Comar-Coils-Z-Flipper-Fireball/153828387964?hash=item23d0e2ec7c:g:~hkAAOSwPLNdXu35

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I am working with a company now that makes a linear pull-in solenoid to see if it will be a modern day replacement. Realize, that getting a solenoid for 48VAC or 24VAC is going to be a custom order that we will never be able to fulfill the quantity needed. All current off the shelf linear solenoids are 120VAC (or 240VAC).

Yes, I purchased this one. It is a 120VAC coil. I am adapting it to work via a relay. There is no modification to the coil, unless you want to rewind it to work at 48VAC.

#9 4 years ago

Just throwing this out there, the zipper flipper mech on Ballys Medusa uses a standard coil in case anyone feels like modifying the assembly mech is an easier option.

ZipFlip3a.jpgZipFlip3a.jpg

#10 4 years ago

Yes, I thought about this too. That coil is the same coil used on drop targets for resetting the targets. The problem is the bracket under the coil to hold the coil stop. See red arrow. That is not used anywhere else that I can find. It would have to be made or salvaged. If someone knows more, please let us know.

20200217_132429 (resized).jpg20200217_132429 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11 4 years ago

What kind of numbers do you think we would need to get in order to have someone to make a 50 volt coil? It would be great if we could get the cost down to $15 to $20 a unit. I'm guessing we could pre-sell about 100 units. I would be willing to inventory maybe 50 units for future sale. Lets keep those zipper flipper games zippy.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

What kind of numbers do you think we would need to get in order to have someone to make a 50 volt coil?

One vendor said 1000 unit minimum.

Once I have my game back together, I have almost a full spare zipper mechanism that i am going to try an off the shelf modern day coil. I'll see what happens.

#13 4 years ago

Keep us informed on what you find out. I see a kit in the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Durham, NC
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-zipper-mech-rebuild?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.