Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Garrett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello everyone does anybody here have any knowledge on Bally's quirky "zipper flippers"? I'm currently restoring a 4 Queens and whenever the flippers try to close they chatter together and make a horrible sound and then after about 2 seconds of chattering they reopen. Yet brilliantly whenever I lift up the playfield to try and catch the problem and trigger the switch that closes the flippers they work perfectly. I do have a video of it happening but don't know how to share that on this forum.

- James

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

Yet brilliantly whenever I lift up the playfield to try and catch the problem and trigger the switch that closes the flippers they work perfectly.

no idea of the setup of that game but I've found that the old works-with-playfield-up issue is usually a gravity thing making a too close gapped switch activate(especially on double leaf 2 stage type switches). The symptoms you describe would also make me think it's a switch gap issue causing them to fire like that.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

Hello everyone does anybody here have any knowledge on Bally's quirky "zipper flippers"? I'm currently restoring a 4 Queens and whenever the flippers try to close they chatter together and make a horrible sound and then after about 2 seconds of chattering they reopen. Yet brilliantly whenever I lift up the playfield to try and catch the problem and trigger the switch that closes the flippers they work perfectly. I do have a video of it happening but don't know how to share that on this forum.
- James

If it's fixing itself when the playfield is up, that just means a switch is out of adjustment (which it sounds like anyways) and the extra gravity of it being at a different rotation is bridging the gap. Could be dirty as well, and the stronger push of the gravity is creating a better connection.

#4 7 years ago

gravity may affect the hold solenoid armature as well , is the spring on the back of there perhaps missing ?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1973/index.html#/172/

7 years later
#5 35 days ago

@J Reedie- I’m having similar issue on my Four Million BC. Did you figure out this problem. Thanks

#6 35 days ago
Quoted from Jeepntucson:

@J Reedie- I’m having similar issue on my Four Million BC. Did you figure out this problem. Thanks

Check out this thread for more info on the zippers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-zipper-flipper-details-amp-parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-zipper-flippers-chatter-when-trying-to-close and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.