20240211_111728 (resized).jpg
20231223_130754 (resized).jpg
20231121_124325 (resized).jpg
20231110_103844 (resized).jpg
20231026_160709 (resized).jpg
20231026_121541 (resized).jpg
Resized_20231023_165051 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4786 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider garrett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 1 year ago
Quoted from Kickout:

Bally 1968 RockMakers
Picked this up about a month ago, just started working on it.
[quoted image]

I don't own any zipper flipper Bally's yet but that lower playfield is very interesting. It's the closest thing I've seen to the William's Olympic Hockey table design. It's very well implemented on the Hockey pin and had wondered if it had been used elsewhere. Didn't expect to see it on the Bally.

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/olympic-hockey

My first pin was a Bally Space Time 10 years ago, had moved it along as we do in this hobby. Recently got a Time Zone and forgot what a silly blast this thing is to play. The pops are just off the charts at 50V but I had forgotten how poor the flippers were compared to Gottlieb's for example.

Does the 2" zipper flipper assembly have better strength and control than the early 3" Bally design? Would love to try a zipper one day.

6 months later
#171 1 year ago

I’ll give it a shot.
01F51F6B-6DE2-422E-9E7E-94B49E81BE8C (resized).jpeg01F51F6B-6DE2-422E-9E7E-94B49E81BE8C (resized).jpeg04F4F9B2-DF4D-49AE-8C4D-86FE229A61A1 (resized).jpeg04F4F9B2-DF4D-49AE-8C4D-86FE229A61A1 (resized).jpeg1B012019-9A0B-4E3F-86D4-14BC18E52C73 (resized).jpeg1B012019-9A0B-4E3F-86D4-14BC18E52C73 (resized).jpeg501A7DC6-4B8C-49AE-9B8B-4FE4764FD423 (resized).jpeg501A7DC6-4B8C-49AE-9B8B-4FE4764FD423 (resized).jpeg565DB49F-43CA-4985-86C7-FE8381AAFEC2 (resized).jpeg565DB49F-43CA-4985-86C7-FE8381AAFEC2 (resized).jpegAAC5D298-E619-4174-8004-009D9D6A808B (resized).jpegAAC5D298-E619-4174-8004-009D9D6A808B (resized).jpegC4F8A36D-9B03-45F4-A904-9316DA513DE0 (resized).jpegC4F8A36D-9B03-45F4-A904-9316DA513DE0 (resized).jpegC55F569B-C75A-4491-BE66-748E86EE3202 (resized).jpegC55F569B-C75A-4491-BE66-748E86EE3202 (resized).jpeg

0C3F9064-B4F4-4B5C-8989-C737C0759736 (resized).jpeg0C3F9064-B4F4-4B5C-8989-C737C0759736 (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#175 11 months ago
Quoted from atpcfiaim:

I used to play these zipper flipper games when I was a kid. Tracked these 3 down over a 5 year span about 20 years ago. Purchased Four Million BC in Idaho, Fireball in Nebraska, and Nip It in Minnesota. Shopped out last year with new rings, coil sleeves, and general clean and wax.
[quoted image]

Killer Bally collection!

1 month later
#183 10 months ago

Completing some paint touch ups as well.

IMG_9055 (resized).jpegIMG_9055 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#195 8 months ago

I've been lusting after a Rocket III recently. Have watched gameplay video, read reviews and interested in your opinions on this title too.

I'm a fairly new and previously unrealized Ted Zale fan, only took 10 years to figure out.

There are a number of Zale titles I'd like to have but don't come up for sale too often. There was a Rockmakers for sale last year in my area but was not yet a Ted fan.....

I'd certainly take a Mariner or Capersville if you have one laying around

I like novelty playfields and I appreciate the spinning flipper concept. They were always trying to innovate in some way. Should I consider Rocket III or wait for some other Zale design to come along?

#200 8 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

As a Fireball owner, there are definite scoring strategies that are essential to earning a high score. If you merely keep the ball in play and only have the bottom 100 point pop bumper illuminated (the other two dark because you missed the skill shot) you aren't going to score many points whatsoever. It is essential to hit the skill shot on every plunge. If you do it right, you will get 4,000 points and close the zipper flippers on the way. After that, you need to lock balls, and release them. Hitting the "Release Fire Gods" captive ball target is the most profitable, but if you can keep locking balls, unlocking them, and getting the 4,000 point skill shot over and over, you will score big.

4MBC is pretty similar.

Appreciate the advice about the Rocket III from you guys.

#201 8 months ago

Someone else had this same question that I do.

Did zipper flippers use two rubbers on the flippers or one?

1 month later
#206 6 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Do this once a month please! I now own a bazaar thanks to you!

Way too much but in utterly beautiful condition. When the seller quotes the Fonz thing..., a Nip-It in Titusville, FL
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/335778149123205/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A16100b38-9611-427f-a4df-54ef268a7bd1

For the die hard Zale fan a $500 Band Wagon with painted cab in Moultrie, GA
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/328414829723446/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A16100b38-9611-427f-a4df-54ef268a7bd1

1 week later
#209 6 months ago

Did someone here pick up the Fireball that was lsited on FB in Tiffin, OH for $5,900?

Just wondering what it went for. Thought I made a very fair offer but never heard back....

#212 6 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Lack of availability for that Zipper unit coil would worry me owning on of these machines.

You can rewind them or modify if needed. Not fun but doable.

#214 6 months ago

Saw that too. She won't even respond to my IM's. Guess because I didn't offer $5,900

#217 6 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Having had three Fireballs and a Capersville, I actually like The Wiggler better than both. I guess for reasons that might only make sense to me and those I compete with on it.

O-din, please elaborate. You've played enough pins to have a good reference.

I got into pins 10 years ago for 2-3 years then other things for a while then back into pins almost two years ago. Back then RPG was all Gottlieb EM love and William's and Bally's got poo-pooed.

Maybe my tastes have changed over the years.

Having recently acquired a 4MBC I've come realize of the genius of Ted Zale.

Your thoughts are usually interesting and entertaining at the same time.

#220 6 months ago

That pin has a few fans. What's the allure to Pit Stop?

#224 6 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

o-din can chime in on this further but for my part Pit Stop is a great 2 player experience. 2 different scoring objectives to compete on (laps or score). Layout is fun and challenging. The upper left and right lanes are good long shots (vs. Post Time, which shares some design/rules). Art is some of Marche's best.

William's Olympic Hockey is another great two player example with scoring and goals. I'll have to check ut a Pit Stop at some point.

2 weeks later
#233 5 months ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Here's a pic of a 1966 Spanish 'Dig a Star' with Zipper flippers that I'm bringing back to life.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's very interesting. How did Automaticos aquire zipper flippers the same year Bally released them? Did they have some type of agreement with Bally?

In the video of the known history of Ted Zale, they stated Bally threatened legal action against William's regarding there use of zipper flippers.

#234 5 months ago

Been knocking on wood, throwing salt and sacrificing animals since Sunday evening.

If the deal holds up this Saturday were gonna.....

#236 5 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Come on Garrett! Find me an odd zipper flipper pin in FL!

The only one I've seen in your area is that $3,500 Nip-It.

When this thing listed Sunday night in my area..freakin' eyes popped outta my head.

Gotta go sacrifice a chicken, brb

#240 5 months ago
Quoted from BallyCrazy:

I don’t know for pinballs but I used to have a 1966 Bally Bowler that was built in Spain by Bally Iberica SA in Madrid, a subsidiary of Bally USA.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That would make sense.

Quoted from DK:

I got that Bazaar in ATL because of you and I’m hooked on the ZF action!

Was wondering what you thought of Bazar.

#243 5 months ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

It is. Can't say I've ever seen one before. They actually work too and it's coil isn't burnt up either. It's relays are more a Gottlieb style, with red plastic armatures and the Jones plugs have a tab on them so you cannot mix the ends up and a good design I think. I'm still working through it and now have a schematic, albeit in Spanish but Google translate will help me understand the wording.

Well, this does make me wonder, did Automaticos make any other pins with zipper flippers? Google is pretty sparse on Talleres del Llobregat S.A. info.

Would you post pictures of yours at some point? Would be cool if you updated IPDB and Pinside with better pictures of the backside of the playfield, lower cabinet and backbox.

And please post a video if possible.

#246 5 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just picked up a Bally Cosmos tonight 45 minutes from my house. I found on Facebook and met a really nice gentlemen in the process. Here's a couple pictures still in my vehicle. I will get it set up tomorrow and post up some more.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking forward to the pictures!

And a good gameplay video is sorely needed on Youtube.

#248 5 months ago

I think a lot got trashed but a few still lurking in basements.

#249 5 months ago

Like this one. Sat for 25 years

IMG_1216 (resized).jpegIMG_1216 (resized).jpeg
#252 5 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I've got Cosmos set up in my basement and started cleaning it up a little bit. Unfortunately, the backglass is tragic, but aside from that, its in great shape to my eyes. I would give the playfield at least an 8, the cabinet probably an 8, and honestly, everything seems to work. I did a minor clean tonight and installed the rest of the rubber's the seller had in a bag, and played numerous games. It plays great, and all the switches are registering. The Zipper Flipper setup is pristine. Quite unlike the Fireball I'm currently working on that had a coil fire. I'm excited that it has the "swing up" cabinet board, that they stopped installing. Such a cool design. Here's a few pictures until I try to get some gameplay video and post on my YouTube channel and link it to Pinside.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is surprisingly clean inside! And the playfield looks great too. The Rockmakers has the pull up board too! Love that design and my back loves it even more!

The Classic Gameroom video was too snarky in my opinion. Would be nice to see an overview of the rules then some good gameplay without saying COSMOS with reverb every 20-30 seconds.

Is a shame about the backglass. Coos does do vinyl prints. In the past it was around $275 for just the print (no glass) and shipping.

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

My pick up is in a wee bit rougher condition. Overall not too bad but a few things to address. Will be a long but fun restoration. Going to start a thread for it as there were some goodies inside to share.

IMG_1248 (resized).JPGIMG_1248 (resized).JPG
#258 5 months ago

Nice looking surfers.

Had a Gottlieb Majestic from 1957 when first getting in the hobby. Cabinet was awesome, all poplar too.
Majestic Pull Up Lower Board (resized).jpgMajestic Pull Up Lower Board (resized).jpg

#260 5 months ago

Good question. Service guys loved it but evidently the bean counters didn’t.

#261 5 months ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

I recently had the good fortune to pick up a Surfers and agree, the pull up board was a great piece of so simple but effective mechanical engineering! So was the space saving lift away glass and the zipper flippers and the add a ball kit and on and on.
The artwork and asymmetric layouts even to this day seem unique and refreshing. Great respect for what went into this genre of pins, just jam packed with marvelous ideas that translated very well into a relatively small package.
(I will also be posting progress on some cool Surfer mods and refurbishments).
Just get a zip flip pin and indeed..."All Hail Ted Zale."[quoted image][quoted image]

Very interested in the add-a-ball option.

#262 5 months ago

First I’ve seen. How many other pins had metal side rails for the playfield?

The kickers are huge as well.

The pop rings are made of steel. This was Ted's spoonless design, it was in that video about Ted.

IMG_1280 (resized).jpegIMG_1280 (resized).jpegIMG_1281 (resized).jpegIMG_1281 (resized).jpeg

IMG_1289 (resized).jpegIMG_1289 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1291 (resized).jpegIMG_1291 (resized).jpeg

#264 5 months ago

What an unexpected surprise. Just a wipe with alcohol and microfiber
IMG_1307 (resized).jpegIMG_1307 (resized).jpeg

#268 5 months ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

What video is this ? Can you provide the link ?

Someone had linked this video somewhere in this thread and just watched it a few days ago. You can tell what a geek I am, watched the whole video. It was actually really interesting.

At 19:45 in the video they show a patent drawing of Zale's spoonless pop bumper design. At first when I saw the skirts it didn't click. Then when mowing the grass it struck me, came in and lifted the playfield to verify.

Anyone that has worked on an early Bally has likely seen them. This fantastic Safari restore has the Zale pops in it too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-little-monkey-business-a-bally-safari-resto

I can't wait to take this thing apart! And very glad they all appear to work and so very smoothly as well. No dents or dings on them either.
Ted Zale SPoonless Design Steel Pop Skirt (resized).JPGTed Zale SPoonless Design Steel Pop Skirt (resized).JPGTed Zale Spoonless Design Pop Bumper Backside (resized).JPGTed Zale Spoonless Design Pop Bumper Backside (resized).JPGTed Zale Spoonless Design Pop Bumper Coil Assembly (resized).JPGTed Zale Spoonless Design Pop Bumper Coil Assembly (resized).JPG

#272 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Hey all. I just posted my Zipper Flipper for sale. "4 Queens" if anyone is interested. It has a gorgeous playfield with only 8538 lifetime plays!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/167586

Wow!

#275 5 months ago
Quoted from dmarston:

That's my voice describing why the design was patentable. The presenter is drsfmd here on Pinside.
.................David Marston

David, any idea why Bally move away from this design?

#278 5 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Topside teardown of Fireball in preparation for light touchups and clearcoat. Will probably be doing something similar to my Cosmos I just picked up.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool, the Cosmos has steel playfield side rails too.

The playfield on Fireball looks good.

#289 5 months ago

Good day for someone, says it's in Frisco. Listing is in Grapevine TX

Nip-It $1,100

This game is working and is very clean. It has been in storage for a few years so it is possible it will need to have some TLC to get it up to it's best level.

The game is in storage in Frisco and an appointment will be needed to see it. Also the buyer will need to bring a truck or make arrangements for pick up.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1030360471634536/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A060d5d68-10a8-49c8-b606-c5e5dc02dca6

#291 5 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Picked up my second Zale today, the first with zipper flippers.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
It was the owner's through childhood - so has been with the same owner for 30+ years. Playfield is in fantastic condition.

Very cool! Couldn't be in a better home too. Careful, the Zip's can be addictive.

I think it's a unique pin as it shows his innovation with the spinning bumper. And the idea kept spinning around his head until Fireball.

Looking at your picture, has Ted's pops (steel skirts), steel playfield side rails and a very, very intersting apron. Is that a credit or ball light above the 5 Balls Per Play?
Rocket III apron (resized).JPGRocket III apron (resized).JPG

#294 5 months ago

Just listed in Picken, SC not far from Greenville.

Nip-It project machine $850

Bally Nip-It project. Bought it as a working machine but I have not set it up. It’s sitting just as I unloaded it. Not going to set it up, so assume non working or project status. Needs a back panel for the head. Pretty much perfect backglass, nice apron, really nice playfield, cab is solid but worn and obviously it got busted on the bottom near the switch but the switch still works and it didn’t seem to affect the relay board in the cab. All mech’s are present and it’s very clean inside. Coins door is in very good shape. I am located nearest to Sunset, SC not far out of Greenville.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358410770013617/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Af97ebf25-8fc9-4fbd-a47e-58efe1166161

Martin, TN
MiniZag $650

Nice pinball machine. Works, dings, scoreboard moves, needs new rubber and cleaning.
Have too many projects and need money to finish paying of remodel on home.
Still have original schematics.
I can get more pics when I get home.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/644898711192735/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A0f68eda3-4dad-49c0-8d22-75d4ce48e2e5

#299 5 months ago

Nice looking Wiggler O-din.

#305 5 months ago

THE line up at the VFW in Ann Arbor. Very good crowd and lots of Toys for Tots. Thanks Cliff!

A real treat and worth the trip if you can.

First time playing any Zale design other than the 4MBC.

Two pins really stuck out for me, Four Queens and Gator.

I’d take every one but with limited space have a few in the crosshairs.

Capersville is cool.
Dogies is something with all the gates.
Fireball, it’s cool but I’m not a fan of the disc.
Nip-It was a surprise, liked it a lot.
Wiggler has a cool layout.
Bazaar is a lot of fun.
Rockmakers is really cool, very relieved

But Gator just clicked, love it! And Four Queens is wild, fun gameplay.

And I was able to meet wolverinetuner , it was a pleasure. Looking forward to stopping by and playing Mars Trek.
IMG_1361 (resized).jpegIMG_1361 (resized).jpegIMG_1362 (resized).jpegIMG_1362 (resized).jpegIMG_1363 (resized).jpegIMG_1363 (resized).jpegIMG_1364 (resized).jpegIMG_1364 (resized).jpeg

#308 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I’m convinced that people who own Fireball rarely ever blame poor games on the spinning disc.

I knew this was gonna happen. I really liked the playfield layout and the bonus building. The ramp shot is really cool and different than the 4MBC. Just don't like anything that changes where I initially intended the ball to go. Dig every other single last thing about it. You guys know how it is, some things click with you some don't. Not trying to dismiss Fireball whatsoever. And my pins don't have tilt bobs installed

Quoted from pinwiztom:

When I was at VFW last year, I got to play all the zipper flipper games
and Bazaar and 4 Queens and Cosmos were some of my favorites

How the hell did Ted Zale do this in his 60's? To come out of nowhere when most people retire and bring such a unique perspective to pinball. There's no doubt the man played pinball most of his life, right? You can't innovate in a field that you have no interest in, correct? Where did his mechanical background come from?

The surprising thing about 4 Queens was how the ball would play through the center kick-out hole when the ball has enough momentum. It takes what appears to be a split playfield and completely opens it up. Lighting the queens is tough but also has good ball flow. Was this table design one that Ted did while in final retirement in AK and Palta altered it or was it Palta's altogether? Another great designer in his own right too.

The 4 Queens currently listed on the Market is under $900 and just pristine too. That's simply a great deal.

DK Bazaar surprised me! Tough skill shot. If one pops up near me I'm on it. Very fun pin.

But here is what's kinda tough with his pins. With most EM's you can walk up, read the instructions or playfield and that's pretty much how the game plays.

Not Ted.

Most of the standard Bally apron cards only state a few scores with Fair, Good, Great. Not a single game instruction. Playfield instructions only take you so far. Now if you walk up to a Capersville for the first time, it's like WTF do you do?

Some of the others are a bit easier to figure out but some of them....wow.

The good news for people that still want to own a Zale, out of a good size crowd, only a smattering of people played them during the 3 hours the VFW was open tonight.
4 Queens (resized).JPG4 Queens (resized).JPGBazaar (resized).JPGBazaar (resized).JPG

#310 5 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Looks like 4 Queens needs a spinning disc, or a tar pit thingy. Haha

Its excellence is in it's simplicity. The zippers work really well with the flow of the gameplay.

#312 5 months ago

He talks about 4 Queens at the 26 minute mark.

He then states in the early 70's that he and Ted went to Europe for feedback from operators. Bally took their recommendations and made changes.

Also didn't know Bigfoot is a copy of Bow and Arrow. He talks about it at the very end.

#316 5 months ago

In the flyer they appear to be chrome or nickel plated?

But many of the Bally's had the dark grey didn't they?

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=201&picno=3860

#318 4 months ago

Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/644898711192735/?mibextid=9R9pXO

MiniZag in Martin Tennessee listed at $650

Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358572420005774/?mibextid=9R9pXO

Rocket III in Carbondale IL listed for $600

#320 4 months ago

Jim Patla states in that discussion that Ted Zale would stop watch a game, 3 ball play time should be 90 seconds and 5 ball play time 120 seconds.

That sounds quite short doesn't it?

Has anyone heard a reference used by Gottlieb and William's for preferred game length time during the EM period?

Thought I would put it to the time test with the 4MBC. Played 10 games in a row with no delay between plunges. Scoring on 4MBC can be more random due to the Volcano bonus and potential trapped balls left on the table between games, but that was the hook to get you to drop another quarter. Multiball times overall are extremely short on 4MBC.

5 Balls per Game;

1. 2:41 score 35,090
2. 1:20 score 10,350
3. 1:46 score 34,610
4. 1:50 score 20,900
5. 2:40 score 42,290
6. 1:13 score 16,150
7. 3:43 score 40,750
8. 1:59 score 23,630
9. 3:10 score 45,990
10. 2:13 score 31,670

The average game time from those 10 is 2:03 or 123 seconds. Pretty crazy right?

The games of 1:30 or less felt very quick as well, one or two quick drains and nothing you can do.

But the game times that were two minutes or more in length felt much longer than that. It's interesting how that slight addition of time felt to be much longer than it actually was.

#322 4 months ago

Also interested to see if there is any change in this time per game as Jim took over. Will test Time Zone/Space Time 10 game average. Out of interest may just test the collection and see how they differ.

Also would be interesting to see how the game times changed through the latter EM era.

Did someone say EM's weren't challenging?

#324 4 months ago

Tried the Time Zone but the first ball itself lasted 2 minutes. On a 5 ball game 4:49 with a score of 77,430. I can't use this as a test, way too many games on it and it has 75-78 era flipper mechs installed, the originals are just freakin' pathetic. And this is also why one game an evening on the TZ is usually enough.?.?

As just an average player on Bally Wizard, it always felt like it had decent to long game times for the most part.

Wizard set on 5 Ball;
1. 2:36 score 42,770
2. 3:26 score 91,080
3. 2:06 score 43,950
4. 2:39 score 71,680
5. 4:00 score 137,050 with one extra ball earned, total 6 balls
6. 1:58 score 58,100
7. 2:30 score 80,600
8. 4:00 score 91,600, no extra ball
9. 1:58 score 55, 640
10. 1:52 score 45,590

Average: 2:52
Note: The bonus count down time is included and can be "lengthy" if maxed and doubled. With Ted, most designs didn't have a bonus counter with a drain.

The skill level of the player is also a factor, no doubt. But at the time these games were produced there were plenty of talented pinball players one would assume. I think Patla stated he started at Bally while in high school as a game tester.

Will try the time test on Aztec too, that one's brutal playfield and surprising it sold so well. It's the one game where you simply don't ever want to intentionally shoot for the Extra Ball. Ever.

How much of a time per ball difference is there between a poorly maintained machine compare to a well maintained machine?

I knew pinball was about getting the highest score possible, just never realized you have about 30 seconds per ball to do so before the law of averages kicks in.

#326 4 months ago

Not sure how many of you Zale fans live in Florida....

Capersville $900 Ocala, FL

"I have 3 vintage pinball machines for sale. Capersville works perfectly and is a mutiball machine . The play field is in great shape and the back glass is near perfect. The cabinet is solid but the paint is flaking. Asking $900"

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/358428190010079/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A143ff3b4-f963-43a0-aa55-2c10cba554c3
Capersville (resized).JPGCapersville (resized).JPG

#331 4 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I couldn't make myself play 10 games in a row...

To me it kinda seems like the average ball time was intended to be around 30 seconds for these EMs.

Really appreciate you taking the time to run the little experiment DanMarino. It's a bit easier to run 10 games in a row with a beer or two

And the ball times go back to what you posted about your Thankgiving Day players. They did not like Jacks Open, too hard. And look at the ball time.

The favorite, El Dorado.

How much does game time play into the "fun factor"? Why does a similar game time on a 4MBC feel like an ass whooping compared to the Wizard? Is it because the shots on the Wizard are easier vs the 4MBC?

I don't play SS or newer style pins. Wonder when the transition to longer games and times occurred, what drove it or was it a last gasp for revenue as the coin-op era faded?

It would appear the 30 second ball time in general is true for the 60's and 70's era. What is the average ball time of the 1950's era pins, similar? Early 80's?

For me, this is part of the enigma of Ted Zale. What did he do before joining Bally? What crowd of people was he hanging out with in the industry?

Ted didn't invent the concept of "time per ball" but he was well aware of it.

#336 4 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Capers is on its way home!
[quoted image]

Glad that one worked out.

#338 4 months ago

Do you actually have them set up and play them DK ?

Pics?

#340 4 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Them? You mean my pins? I play pretty much everyday lol

You have 77 pins? That, by most people's standards, is a metric shit ton

#342 4 months ago

Price is really good

$250 for an Op-Pop-Pop

Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/248943934633027/?mibextid=9R9pXO

#344 4 months ago
Quoted from DK:

I’m a pin operator; I got them all over the place lol

You route EM’s as well? People put money in them if newer era pins are in the same line up?

#349 4 months ago

Pretty cool.

Quoted from DK:

Ty DUDE
I route with my taste in mind on what I would want if I walked into a bar, and i'm lucky enough that Nice Guys Pizza in Cape Coral gives me the autonomy. I will 100% put the Capersville I picked up over the weekend on route if it'll work for a quarter a play!
Rarest EM I routed was the King Rex that's currently for sale with a powerball. The "trough kickback" feature was a sight to see!

I would surprised if the Zipper pins get played and earn on route.

#351 4 months ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I just visited the Pinball Museum in Ashville, NC and they had a Nip-It. Unfortunately, it was not in service. I really wanted to play it. They had to repair it and were concerned about letting it get played heavy.

Bummer. Have seen peoples comments about it and never played it until a couple weeks ago. I wasn't expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised and it's on my list.

When you were at the museum, did they understand what they stated to you? My face woulda' looked like

A pinball museum and concerned about it getting played too much? Hmmmm.....

How about you sell it to me and I'll take it home so it doesn't get "over played"

#353 4 months ago

Who lives near Westfield, MA?

Want a Rockmakers for $400?

"1968 Bally Rock Pinball Machine for sale. Back glass is in perfect condition. Needs a little TLC and a good cleaning. It has a couple of loose connections. Includes some new replacement parts, along with the manual and electrical schematic."

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1087264855606375/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A202ed416-b62c-4ff1-adc0-e42826c75bcb

#359 4 months ago

Wow is that in good condition or what?

#365 4 months ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

just a simple adhesive warm white LED strip light from comet pinball with two small alligator clips that attach to any light socket below the playfield. couldn’t be simpler and is out of sight. did the same for the large triangular plastic on my Dimension. I’ll post some pics later.

I'm a fan of them as well, the trough lighting strip. Looks like yo have one in your trough too.

Great thing about them is that the brightness is adjustable too.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/outhole-lighting-kit

#369 4 months ago

Patla's design and not Ted's but still a great zip game. The back glass is unfortuantely roasted.

4 Queens $400
Calumet, MI

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7015205275196770/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A92b96a34-3a2d-49ee-909d-01addfb52efb

2 weeks later
#376 3 months ago

I’d go with factory look. Colors though are up to you.

#377 3 months ago

Got pretty lucky tonight. Only had to offer two chickens and a goat at the alter of Master Zale. Usually only sacrifice the chickens but the neighbors have a few goats and likely won’t miss “Anna-bell”. At least I think that’s what the kids called her. Anyway…

Average game score for me is around 25k-35k.

So don’t forget about the goat next time you turn your Zip on! And mums the word on “Anna-bell”!

Happy New Year and may your pin pursuits come true.

IMG_1727 (resized).jpegIMG_1727 (resized).jpegIMG_1728 (resized).jpegIMG_1728 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#381 88 days ago

Thinking of selling my 4MBC.

I never thought I'd be so enthralled with the dark side. Yes, a SS pin has changed my outlook. I've had exclusively EM's at home since entering the hobby. Never really had an interest in SS pins at all. But over the last 6 months the urge grew and sold a few pins to get a DE Jurassic Park a few weeks ago.

Since then, the few EM's remaining aren't getting much game time. So thinking of letting them go to pick up another SS title.

Am I crazy?

Who's been here before?

Do I need some therapy?

1 month later
1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 90.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

£ 195.00
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider garrett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-zipper-flipper-club-aka-all-hail-ted-zale?tu=garrett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.