Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 days ago by franz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMGP2122 (resized).JPG
IMGP2121 (resized).JPG
IMGP2120 (resized).JPG
IMGP2119 (resized).JPG
IMGP2118 (resized).JPG
IMGP2117 (resized).JPG
IMGP2117 (resized).JPG
IMGP2119 (resized).JPG
IMGP2118 (resized).JPG
IMGP2117 (resized).JPG
IMGP2122 (resized).JPG
bally zip-a-do (resized).jpg
0Sp-Mi-Work-40 (resized).jpg
0Wiggler-Work-12 (resized).jpg
IMGP2115 (resized).JPG
IMGP2114 (resized).JPG

#1 44 days ago

My pinball machine, which works without any Problems, got two coin Slots ( as shown in the first attached picture); the first slot requires 2 x 1 Schilling (former Austrian currency) for one game, the second slot requires 1 x 5 Schilling for three games. The second slot works, the three games are displayed.

When I put 2 x 1 Schilling into the first slot for the first time, the single player gets one game; when I put 2 x 1 Schilling into the slot the second time, a second player can get one game.

My problem: When I put another 2 x 1 Schilling into the slot, I can´t get any additional game, there´s also nothing displayed at the "Match Unit". Is this normal or is there something connected to the Alternator Unit, which isn´t complete, I suppose ?

Could anybody in the forum show me a picture of a complete "2 coins per Play Alternator Unit", including the way how it is wired ?
The Alternator Unit in my machine (as shown in the second attached picture) doesn´t seem to be originally manufactured by Bally.

1 - coin slots (resized).jpg2 - alternator unit (resized).jpg
#2 44 days ago

In case you're not aware, the Bally Alternator Unit breakdown is show in the parts catalog for that era here;
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1971/index.html#/19/zoomed

#3 44 days ago

Do you have anything like this?

Capture (resized).PNG
#4 43 days ago

I don`t have anything like on the left ,but I think anything like on the right.

Please can you tell me, what does the "Alternator Units" do?

#5 43 days ago
Quoted from franz:

Please can you tell me, what does the "Alternator Units" do?

Did you check the link in post 2? It controls the '2 coins per play.'

#6 42 days ago

Yes, I checked it, but it didn´t solve my Problem. I already got an old Bally Parts Catalogue from 1973, where the same Picture is shown. In my opinion, the unit in my pinball machine is incomplete and not original and not mounted in the right way. I received the machine the way it was, I didn´t chance anything, the Solenoid, as you can see, is by Williams and not by Bally.
I still have to know, how the Alternator Unit itself works and if you really need this unit.

#7 42 days ago

The problem is that you have a Williams Alternator unit installed on the side of the cabinet instead of the proper Bally "2 Coin Unit" installed on the main bottom board. Just the fact that the Williams unit has a 24 volt solenoid instead of a Bally 50 volt coil can affect proper game operation. Then there's the whole possibility of wiring errors.

If the other coin chute gives you three games per coin, your problem lies in the alternator unit wiring. Then again, no player in their right mind would ever put another two coins in the left chute after a two player game was coined/started up so you really don't have a problem.

Are you routing this machine?

#8 36 days ago

Please I can´t understand your question; what do you mean with: "Are you Routing this machine"???

#9 35 days ago
Quoted from franz:

Please I can´t understand your question; what do you mean with: "Are you Routing this machine"???

Are you placing this machine on location, locking the doors up and placing it on coin play? If not, why worry about a circuit that is unnecessary for home use?

#10 35 days ago

Hallo!

I have the machine only for home use, but I want have,that the pinball machine is performing all complete functions.
Now I had installed the original Bally 2 Coin Alternator, but it´s not working as it should be.
On another machine "Wiggler" the function is as should be. look on my 1st post.

#11 33 days ago

Hi Franz
I am quite good in reading schematics Williams / Gottlieb Four Player Pins.
The ipdb schematics to The Wiggler https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2777 is so-so.
ipdb does not have the schematics to Zip-a-Doo https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2840 so I searched for another Bappy pin - ipdb has the schematics to Skyrocket https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2204 .

I believe to read from Your posts
The Wiggler has a coin slot "2 coins - 1 play" - You throw-in two coins and the pin (does not coin-up on the Replay-Counter) does start a ONE-Player-Game. You throw-in another two coins and the pin adds "2nd player does participate in the game". You throw-in another two coins and the pin adds "3rd player does participate in the game". You throw-in another two coins and the pin adds "4th player does participate in the game". You throw-in another two coins and SENSATION - the pin adds a replay onto the Replay-Counter.

The Zip-a-Doo has a coin slot "2 coins - 1 play" - You throw-in two coins and the pin (does not coin-up on the Replay-Counter) does start a ONE-Player-Game. You throw-in another two coins and the pin adds "2nd player does participate in the game". You throw-in another two coins and NOTHING*** - means No adding a replay onto the Replay-Counter.

Question: Is my description correct ?

See the first JPG - in Wiggler (marked green) the stepping of the Replay-Counter by throwing-in big coins to add 2,3,4,5 replays --- but ( I do not really understand it) marked blue Multiple-Play-Relay pulling and Switch-Coin-Unit-Limit thrown / moved: The Replay-Unit does step-up.
See the second JPG - only marked green - nothing marked blue - conclusion: The fault in Your pin is not a fault - it is poor design (?).

When You want to discuss Zip-a-Doo: Please show snippets of Your schematics (pictures taken with a mobile phone are good enough). Greetings Rolf

Nothing*** - what actually happens ?

0Wiggler-Work-10 (resized).jpg0Wiggler-Work-11 (resized).jpg
#12 31 days ago

Hi Rolf
I have the originalschematic from Bally ZIP A DOO and I hope you canmake some sense of the schematic.
Also I have installed a Bally 2 Coin Alternator Unit, but I am not quite sure, wheter it is wired correctly.

Greetings Franz

IMGP2111 (resized).JPGIMGP2114 (resized).JPG
#13 31 days ago
IMGP2115 (resized).JPG
#14 31 days ago

Hi franz
in post-11 I wrote a text of what I believe to read from Your description - ending with "Question: Is my description correct ?" Please answer this question. Greetings Rolf

#15 31 days ago

Hi franz
in post-11 I wrote "the behaviour in Your Zip-a-Doo maybe is just poor design". Here I show an example what to me is "poor design". See the first JPG - encircled green the Coin-Lockout-Coil (I would like to have it named STOP-Coin-Lockout-Coil) - Coil is non-pulling: Thrown-in coins are reflected to the coin return compartment outside the coin door, Coil is pulling: Thrown-in coins are accepted - they start a game or coin-up the Replay-Counter.
See the second JPG "my blue lines" lead to the coil - also "my brown lines and red lines" lead to the coil. When every switch in this wiring is closed then current can flow means coil is pulling means coins are accepted. When the pin is busy resetting and switch "1" is open: Thrown-in coins are not accepted - are reflected because the pin is busy resetting. Whenever the motor runs (for example the pin is busy making 50 points) and so switch "2" is open: Thrown-in coins are not accepted. When the pin is already busy starting a game (Coin-Relay is pulling, switch "3" is open) : Thrown-in coins are not accepted. When the Replay-Counter is in Maximum-Position - the Replay-Counter mechanically cannot step-up any more steps - Switch "4" is open: Thrown-in coins are not accepted.
Lets say Maximum on the Counter is 15 Replays - a coin is worth 5 games / replays --- the counter at the moment is in position "12" - we throw-in a coin: ONLY three replays are added (to 13,14,15) - the remaining two we do not get --- lousy design - shouldnt the Max-Switch on the Replay-Counter open in position "10" - so we never loose part of our money (by not getting all the replays) ?

In post-11 I asked "What exactly happens in Your wiggler (throwing-in multiple times "two coins") ? Greetings Rolf

0Wiggler-Work-12 (resized).jpg0Sp-Mi-Work-40 (resized).jpg
#16 31 days ago

Hi Rolf

Answer your question in post11:

Your description is absolutely right; to "Wiggler": after adding "4th Player" … I throw in another two coins… the match unit step up another one game...that`s the way it is.

Greetings Franz

#17 31 days ago

Hi franz
thanks for post-16. In the first JPG in post-11 I showed wiring in "The Wiggler" - the strange to me Multiple-Play-Relay and the stepping up on the Replay-Unit. In the second JPG in post-11 I showed in the schematics of Sky-Rocket the same area and the absence of "Multiple Play-Relay, stepping-up on the Replay-Unit". Please look-up in the schematics of Your Zip-a-Doo - does it looks like The Wiggler (post-11) - or does it looks like Sky-Rocket (post-11).
When in the schematics Zip-a-Doo it looks like in the schematics of Wiggler: We can chase "Why does Zip-a-Doo not act like Wiggler ?".
When in the schematics Zip-a-Doo it looks like in the schematics of Sky-Rocket: You most likely must live with the statement "Poor design". Greetings Rolf

#18 31 days ago

my #wiggler says "tie when alternator not used"

for the alternator circuit, do the dashed line indicate optional wiring ?

for your #zip-a-doo would you have to un-tie that connection that says "tie when 2'nd coin unit not used" (wherever it may be)

I noticed your coin door only has 2 coin chutes

bally zip-a-do (resized).jpg
#19 30 days ago

Hi Rolf!

I read about you: "Aarau"....maybe we could also write in german or not???
I am at home in Austria and so my english is not so perfect; especially technical english.
Therefore I have to translate the text in every post and I cannot immediately understand everything; but it`s not the?? big Problem and we continue in the same way...ok?
and now I will check your last post
Thank you very much and
Greetings Franz

#20 30 days ago

Hi franz
I have sent You an personal message. Greetings Rolf

#21 29 days ago

Hi Rolf
I also have sent you a personal message
Greetings Franz

#22 29 days ago

Hi franz I respect your efforts to get this machine working with former Austrian Schilling coins for "completeness", I did similar with my Rocket III to accept former UK Shilling coins, I had to buy some from Ebay just to coin it up!

Good luck with your quest, this thread is an interesting read and I hope you report back the results of your German conversation.

#23 29 days ago

Hi jgluch,
the copy of schematic ZIP A DOO

IMGP2117 (resized).JPGIMGP2117 (resized).JPGIMGP2118 (resized).JPGIMGP2119 (resized).JPGIMGP2118 (resized).JPGIMGP2117 (resized).JPGIMGP2119 (resized).JPGIMGP2120 (resized).JPGIMGP2121 (resized).JPGIMGP2122 (resized).JPGIMGP2122 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 55.00
Lighting - Interactive
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
$ 249.00
$ 15.00
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside