(Topic ID: 271148)

Bally X’s and O’s Battery Holder Replacement

By Pinball-DOOD

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95A40B81-6E5A-461C-BA8E-6BEB5A0A466A (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi all!

Considering ordering a battery holder to supplement the built in battery on an X’s and O’s and I’m wondering if this is the appropriate replacement? Also, Which side of the battery is positive and what side is negative? I have put remote batteries on System 6 Williams games, but have not done so on an Earlier solid state Bally. Thanks!

95A40B81-6E5A-461C-BA8E-6BEB5A0A466A (resized).png95A40B81-6E5A-461C-BA8E-6BEB5A0A466A (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

Instead of replacing the battery, I would install NVRAM. The 5101 should be socketed, making replacement easy.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Instead of replacing the battery, I would install NVRAM. The 5101 should be socketed, making replacement easy.

Unfortunately, I don’t feel entirely comfortable installing one! Sorry! I would be fine with just doing the remote battery. Do you know how to go about doing a remote battery on a Bally? Like which side is positive or negative?

#4 3 years ago

Wow, $8 plus shipping for a battery holder that we used to buy from Radio Shack for like $1. Check Digikey, I bet there way cheaper.

John

#5 3 years ago

If you insist, look on the board with J5 on the top. The right hand side of where the battery is soldered is the negative side of the battery, and the positive side is on the left.

The negative side can also be identified as the side where it connects to the ground on the circuit board.

To remove the battery, use wire cutters and cut it off, or using a soldering iron, remove the solder on each side.

If there’s corrosion on the board from the battery leaking, just replacing the battery is not the last step. You have to have the corrosion removed and any damage repaired.

Note that after changing the battery, you will have to reprogram the machine, and change the batteries on an annual basis. Another option is to run long wires and put the holder near the coin door so you don’t have to remove the Backglass to change batteries.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

If you insist, look on the board with J5 on the top. The right hand side of where the battery is soldered is the negative side of the battery, and the positive side is on the left.
    The negative side can also be identified as the side where it connects to the ground on the circuit board.
    To remove the battery, use wire cutters and cut it off, or using a soldering iron, remove the solder on each side.
    If there’s corrosion on the board from the battery leaking, just replacing the battery is not the last step. You have to have the corrosion removed and any damage repaired.
    Note that after changing the battery, you will have to reprogram the machine, and change the batteries on an annual basis. Another option is to run long wires and put the holder near the coin door so you don’t have to remove the Backglass to change batteries.

Wonderful! Thank you so much. That is a tremendous amount of help. One day I’ll learn install a NVRAM, but this will work for now. The customer I am helping is very good with replacing batteries annually.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Unfortunately, I don’t feel entirely comfortable installing one! Sorry! I would be fine with just doing the remote battery. Do you know how to go about doing a remote battery on a Bally? Like which side is positive or negative?

As mentioned, the chip is socketed, which means removing the old chip with a flathead screwdriver or chip puller, and installing the new NVRAM.

https://nvram.weebly.com/

https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

Plug'n'play installation. Doesn't get easier than this.

pinitech is currently out of stock, but Weebly is a great place and where I order all of my boards etc if he has them.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

As mentioned, the chip is socketed, which means removing the old chip with a flathead screwdriver or chip puller, and installing the new NVRAM.
    https://nvram.weebly.com/
    https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php
    Plug'n'play installation. Doesn't get easier than this.
    pinitech is currently out of stock, but Weebly is a great place and where I order all of my boards etc if he has them.

Ohhh, gotcha that looks super easy. I will definitely have to try it one day. Thanks!

#9 3 years ago

Billc479 So, if I can remember correctly the battery is located near the bottom of the board right?

#10 3 years ago

Correct. It is white tube with flat steel soldered into the board

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Correct. It is white tube with flat steel soldered into the board

Perfect, thanks so much

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-xs-and-os-battery-holder-replacement- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.