Bally Xenon Shut Down Issue

By IceCreamMan

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Been restoring a Xenon machine. Here's all that I've done so far:
Rebuilt -54 board along with new male & female connectors and pins.
Replaced all the ceremic caps and diodes on the playfield switches (most were cut)
Replaces some bad / locked on coils
Brand new Alltek MPU board
Brand new Rottendog solenoid driver board
Brand new Rottendog LED displays

Game boots up fine and starts out playing good. Maybe 5 minutes into my first game, the unit lets a quick, sizzle type sound out of the speakers and basically powers itself down. Reboot and it's good to go for a while then does the same thing again.

I've read about similar items happening due to bad caps on the sound board(s). Is this my next logical step in troubleshooting it? Disconnect the sound board and see if the same thing happens?

#2 10 years ago

The entire software locks up or just the sound board?

#3 10 years ago

Machine totally shuts down....lights, flippers, bumpers, coils. etc. Goes through a reset and powers itself back on. I usually turn it off as soon as it happens.

Unplugged sound board (2-pin black and red line) and tested it that way. Same result.

#4 10 years ago

With power fully turned on, the rectifier board reads as follows:
TP2 = 229V DC
TP3 = 14.9V DC
TP4 = 6.2V AC
TP5 = 44.2V DC

Just powering the unit up and not playing a game, it stays on forever. I did notice that pop bumper #7 (top left) only works in test mode. Also, rollover #1 (top) will also cause drop target #1 to go down.

#5 10 years ago

A slam tilt will completely reset the MPU. Since you have PF issues, perhaps you have a switch matrix problem causing a slam tilt.

I would investigate the misfiring PF stuff. Figure out if it is the coils misfiring by using solenoid test and check everything goes in the right order. Check the switches in test as well.

#6 10 years ago

I had a problem with my Xenon shutting down and rebooting mid game, took me ages to resolve. I'd tried replacing the filter caps on the solenoid driver board, checked all connectors and reflowed solder on the headers. Eventually when removing a connector from the MPU board it broke in half! I fixed the connector and never had a problem since, so check your connectors carefully.

The rollovers at the top should drop the respective drop targets.

#7 10 years ago

Just realised I gave you a bum steer here, it was not a connector on the MPU board, it was actually connector J3 on the solenoid driver board that was causing my problems. It was quite a while ago I fixed it, so I had forgotten which connector it was, but I just checked to be sure, my Xenon's been solid since.

#8 10 years ago

Rebuild sound board and that cleared up my hum while in attract mode.

I'm looking at the playfield wiring right now along with the connectors going to the boards.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-xenon-shut-down-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.