• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LT1003.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Many many years ago I lost count, I purchased nice blue LED score displays from Brett thru an email. Long before the whole marco ordeal. I noticed when I installed them, very rarly the game will crash and reboot itself. The MPU quits, then goes thru a whole 7 flash reboot sequence. I went thru the rectifier board and corrected solder joints and replaced the bridge rectifier that relates. I also pulled out the -22 board and refirbished it with new electrolytics and did all the upgrades like I always do for these.

If I remove all the displays and put the factory orange ones back in this problem goes away completely. It is not able to be reproduced often enough to be able to diagnose.

Would anyone even know where to begin? I really like the blue LED displays.

#2 1 year ago

And before anyone asks, the original MPU -32 is nice and clean with no acid damage, I caught it just in time!

1 month later
#7 11 months ago

As an update:

My original Xenon AS-2518-22 has a 5v regulator part# MLM309K and underneath a date code of 7412.

After further inspection, someone did an excellent and convincing job with regards to soldering in a new regulator and having the joints look factory. There is no way bally put a 1974 era part into a 1979 era board.

So my question is.....I do not want to spend $68 bucks for a new LM323K. I have many used -22 boards and they mostly have E170 marked on their regulators. Would that Part# be better?

And to re-iterate, I did put on a new filter cap, did all the mods to update the board, and installed a new set of header pins.

#11 11 months ago

Update:

For the time being, I personally don't mind wasteful soldering, I removed a known good LM323K from an extra stern board I had in a stash, and installed it onto my Xenon board. The data sheets show it is rated at 3A instead of the MLM309K which is only rated for 1.5A.

Now onto why didnt I just swap in a whole board? Well.....I have stacks of -22 and the stern equiv boards but non are 100$ reworked. My Xenon board has all brand new header pins, caps, HV section, and hopefully this will solve the reboot issue.

As for the LT1003 is this a direct swap? I would like to order 1 or two for my games if it is. It appears the EZSBC is not a direct swap and needs a mod to work in the bally / stern games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fordiesel69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-xenon-reboots-when-pinscore-led-displays-are-used?tu=Fordiesel69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.