• Latest reply 2 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE520099-A10A-49F3-B5BB-047757FB4BC2 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hello friends. I have my Bally XENON mostly working with the exception of some GI problems. There are some sockets on the left side of the playfield that aren't getting any voltage. Mainly under the plastic accent pieces on the left edge. Sockets and wiring looks good just no voltages at the socket contacts.. I pulled the lamp driver board and found that Q19 and Q29 were not giving me proper readings with my diode tester. These don't have anything to do with my problem but will be replaced anyway as I'm sure it will fix what they're supposed to light. Would anyone know how to begin to figure this out? I've come a long way with this machine which is very fun to play by the way. Any help would be so much appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

There are some lamps on the left side under plastics near the left saucer that are not G.I, rather they are feature lamps that flash when the ball goes into the ramp. Are these the lamps you are talking about?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

There are some lamps on the left side under plastics near the left saucer that are not G.I, rather they are feature lamps that flash when the ball goes into the ramp. Are these the lamps you are talking about?

If these are the lights in question that Quench mentioned and if there are any other issues with the controlled lamps have you put the game into self test for the lights? This would show what controlled lights are not working either due to bulb being out, socket failing, pinched or disconnected wire or an issue on the lamp driver board.

#4 2 years ago

Those lights were clipped on my machine and jumper wires to make them on all the time. Took me a while to sort the mess out. Good luck.

#5 2 years ago

It's just so dark on that side of the play field that I thought they should be on all of the time and maybe flash or something. I'll use the test mode and hopefully figure this out. Appreciate the time you folks have taken to help me.

5 months later
#7 2 years ago

Cripes! Is that why they're not lighting with the GI, they're controlled lamps?! I was ready to pull out the sockets and solder in new ones, and then taking a closer look I saw the white/green and green/yellow wires, and something said "that doesn't look like GI wiring." Glad I found this thread!

#8 2 years ago

Yes they are controlled lamps. I too have a Xenon and it's frustratingly dark on the left side of the playfield. I am tempted to add or replace one of the flashing bulbs with a GI lamp. Switching those out to LEDs help. I replaced the GI lamps with daylight LEDs on the right side and it helped with the overall darkness of the playfield.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

I too have a Xenon and it's frustratingly dark on the left side of the playfield.

Adding lights under the posts is a nice way to help it out over there.

DE520099-A10A-49F3-B5BB-047757FB4BC2 (resized).jpegDE520099-A10A-49F3-B5BB-047757FB4BC2 (resized).jpeg
#10 2 years ago

Anyone willing to try this code mod that inverts the state of those feature lamps so they're normally on and flash off instead of the other way around?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/25#post-6482758

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Adding lights under the posts is a nice way to help it out over there.

How do you do that?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Anyone willing to try this code mod that inverts the state of those feature lamps so they're normally on and flash off instead of the other way around?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/xenon-clubmembers-onlytry-xeeeenon/page/25#post-6482758

I'd love to try that, what would be necessary for those of us who don't have a rom burner?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I'd love to try that, what would be necessary for those of us who don't have a rom burner?

Have any of your buddies got an EPROM programmer? There are EPROM programming services out there who could burn the mod for you. I'm in the camp that would rather invest in a programmer so I could burn EPROMs myself.
If patching the code is the difficult part, I can help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-xenon-partial-gi-general-illumination-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.