New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 263782)

Bally Xenon "Ahhhhhhhh!" missing

By DaveB8

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by DaveB8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Xenon_Sounds.gif

#1 7 months ago

I recently purchased a Xenon, my FAVORITE when I was a kid...the coin mechs were missing -- didn't think much of it at the time, as it was set for free play anyway. But after watching a couple of YouTube vids, I wanted the "Ahhhhhh!" coin drop sound back. The machine came with a newest version Alltek board, and I've recapped both the SOUNDS and VOCALIZER boards, plus installed Visaton FR-10 speakers -- she sounds GREAT otherwise. Picked up a beat-to-hell coin door from e-bay that had a usable coin mech, and popped it in, to no avail.

All wiring appears to be intact from the door to J1, but even manually tripping any of the three coin drop switches will not produce the sound. Does setting the MOBO switch to 'free play' disable the drop switches, and therefore prohibit that delicious sound byte???

#2 7 months ago

It should also make that sound effect when the machine spits out a second ball into the shooter Lane after capturing the first for multi-ball. Does it do that? I would suspect you might have a corrupt sound ROM chip. I replace the full set of mine and cleared up problems such as yours. They are out there available. Do a search, I'm sure someone in the Xenon thread here on Pinside, may even be able to burn a set for you.

Quoted from DaveB8:

I recently purchased a Xenon, my FAVORITE when I was a kid...the coin mechs were missing -- didn't think much of it at the time, as it was set for free play anyway. But after watching a couple of YouTube vids, I wanted the "Ahhhhhh!" coin drop sound back. The machine came with a newest version Alltek board, and I've recapped both the SOUNDS and VOCALIZER boards, plus installed Visaton FR-10 speakers -- she sounds GREAT otherwise. Picked up a beat-to-hell coin door from e-bay that had a usable coin mech, and popped it in, to no avail.
All wiring appears to be intact from the door to J1, but even manually tripping any of the three coin drop switches will not produce the sound. Does setting the MOBO switch to 'free play' disable the drop switches, and therefore prohibit that delicious sound byte???

#3 7 months ago

Did you do the sound test (red button) on the sound card? Does it play there? That sound also plays when hitting some things (I forget what at the moment) Pop bumpers I think.

#4 7 months ago

It does make the sound when presenting ball 2 to the shooter after #1 is captured...Hmmmm....

Quoted from stashyboy:

It should also make that sound effect when the machine spits out a second ball into the shooter Lane after capturing the first for multi-ball. Does it do that? I would suspect you might have a corrupt sound ROM chip. I replace the full set of mine and cleared up problems such as yours. They are out there available. Do a search, I'm sure someone in the Xenon thread here on Pinside, may even be able to burn a set for you.

#5 7 months ago

Yup, it's DEFINATELY there...cycles through all vocals...

Quoted from Zablon:

Did you do the sound test (red button) on the sound card? Does it play there?

#6 7 months ago
Quoted from DaveB8:

Yup, it's DEFINATELY there...cycles through all vocals...

Then its not the chips...I am not familiar with the board you have so I have no idea if it is a setting or not. You could change the setting and see if it makes a difference.

#7 7 months ago

What sound effect does it make instead of the ahhhh? Dip switch #29 turns the attract sounds on or off so perhaps changing that to 'on' would work if it isn't on already. Coin door setting #18 selects one of four sound/background chimes options (00 - 03), might try playing with that too.

#8 7 months ago

Are your credits already maxed-out ? dipswitch settings I thing allow from 10 to 40 credits somewhere

#9 7 months ago

Tried that, too...The "Try Xenon!" gets annoying eventually...I cranked up all the DIPS for the coin op settings, with free play off, and it will not register a quarter dropped as a credit, or play the sound...looks like I'm going to have to look at power going to the drop switches...THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Quoted from frenchmarky:

What sound effect does it make instead of the ahhhh? Dip switch #29 turns the attract sounds on or off, and manual says it affects "sounds for attract, game- up etc." so perhaps changing that to 'on' would work if it isn't on already. "game up, etc." might imply coining too, maybe they really mean 'coin up'.

#10 7 months ago

See if the coin switches register in switch test to be sure it's not because it's set to free play, or try turning free play off.

#11 7 months ago

Shall do, but done for today -- have to be @ work @ 0330 tomorrow...

Quoted from frenchmarky:

See if the coin switches register in switch test to be sure it's not because it's set to free play, or try turning free play off.

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Coin door setting #18 selects one of four sound/background chimes options (00 - 03), might try playing with that too.

This ^^^
Change audit software setting #18 to "03" to get the most of the games sound effects including the Ahhh on coin drop. Values "00" and "01" will just produce a single tone on coin drop.

Xenon_Sounds.gif

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from DaveB8:

Most likely that's the problem Set the game for normal coin-op mode and see if the sound returns.

#14 7 months ago

No, mines set to FP and still makes the sound.

#15 7 months ago

Here's where I'm at: coin-op modes do not add credits (or the sound) when any of the 3 switches are tripped. Slam switch does nothing when closed during active play. I suspect something on the common for these, a code '14' (red/green trace) wire going to J1 (A4J3-3, pin 11) -- need to find the 'other end' callout for A4J3-3 on the wiring diagrams...

Ya think? THX..

#16 7 months ago

take the voice part out of the equation and get the switches working.

#1. Do your coin insert lamps light? yes/no

If not working i would guess no power to the connector for any of the door items -- work back

if yes
#2. Do the switches actually work? You can swap them with the switch under the metal peice at the top of the ramp as a test...

Guess would be connector issues somewhere if NOTHING in the front works. If the lights work, but switches don't could be something on the matrix, you'd need to look it up and see.

#17 7 months ago

coin lamps good - GI circuit OK. All 3 switches good, tested with meter.

Quoted from Zablon:

take the voice part out of the equation and get the switches working.
#1. Do your coin insert lamps light? yes/no
If not working i would guess no power to the connector for any of the door items -- work back
if yes
#2. Do the switches actually work? You can swap them with the switch under the metal peice at the top of the ramp as a test...
Guess would be connector issues somewhere if NOTHING in the front works. If the lights work, but switches don't could be something on the matrix, you'd need to look it up and see.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from DaveB8:

coin lamps good - GI circuit OK. All 3 switches good, tested with meter.

Work backwards and test connectivity. If you hadn't already you probably should resolder the pins for J1/J3 on the driver board etc. Also, the connectors on these are old and brittle and corroded typically...and get finicky..could need repinned. It also could be something on the switch matrix needs replaced.

#19 7 months ago

Cabinet slam switch is dead, too, and has a doubled up red/green trace wire on it.. I need a fresh Fluke meter (just 'popped' for one on e-bay - killed mine after successfully adjusting the 14,000 HV on my Atari Tempest recently). Will then confirm that this is a DC circuit, and the issue is an open ground for these five switches...still can't find the 'other end' on the wiring diagrams--I may be missing a page...

#20 7 months ago
Quoted from DaveB8:

Cabinet slam switch is dead, too, and has a doubled up red/green trace wire on it.. I need a fresh Fluke meter (just 'popped' for one on e-bay - killed mine after successfully adjusting the 14,000 HV on my Atari Tempest recently). Will then confirm that this is a DC circuit, and the issue is an open ground for these five switches...still can't find the 'other end' on the wiring diagrams--I may be missing a page...

Ah sounds like you know what you are doing. Without digging out my manuals I wont' be much additional help. I'll see if I can take a look tonight.

#21 7 months ago

Thanks...even if I can't fix, it's nice to know others are out there tryin'...

Quoted from Zablon:

Ah sounds like you know what you are doing. Without digging out my manuals I wont' be much additional help. I'll see if I can take a look tonight.

#22 7 months ago

I think the "other" end you're looking for on the common wire is J-3 pin-3 on the MPU. Actually, most of J-3 on the MPU could be suspect.

#23 7 months ago

THAT'S IT!!! Upon inspection, the J3 connector #3 socket was white with oxidation-corrosion -- cleaned, reseated the connector several times, and "AHHHHHH!" - THANKS Wolf! Curious, I DID have to turn off 'free-play' on the Alltek board to achieve success...but my guests & I will drop quarters anyway to hear her...

Quoted from WOLF:

I think the "other" end you're looking for on the common wire is J-3 pin-3 on the MPU. Actually, most of J-3 on the MPU could be suspect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sudbury, MA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside