(Topic ID: 274022)

Bally X's & O's project LED's?

By Fletcher

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I picked up an X's & O's at a local auction. It's been in a basement for many years. The machine is in good condition but the playfield needs a good cleaning. I'm considering converting to LED's primarily because of heat. The tic tac toe part of the playfield has a plastic grid with 27 bulbs in it. My grid is still OK after years of bulbs running in it but I don't think it needs any more heat and I'm sure a replacement would be hard to find.
    What LED bulbs would be best for general playfield lighting for this machine?

#2 3 years ago

They will probably ghost/flicker in this era of Bally, but the new 1SMD bulbs from Pinball Life work great in inserts.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fletcher:

My grid is still OK after years of bulbs running in it but I don't think it needs any more heat and I'm sure a replacement would be hard to find.

I think it would probably be OK in home use since it will be on a fraction of what it would in route.

Don;t know aboot this title specifically, but I imagine you will have to make adjustments to make the LEDs work correctly.
    You can solder resistors on all the insert lamps.
    But cheaper jumper boards https://www.cometpinball.com/products/bally-stern-flicker-eliminator
    Buy more expensive replacement boardhttps://allteksystems.com/collections/pinball-replacement-board-products/products/ultimate-led-lamp-driver-boards

Hmmm....whats the otehr board I'm trying to think of?

#5 3 years ago

Ah that's another one...I had wondered if that was the same as the Comet one I linked?
    I was thinking Weebly

https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the links to the different board options. When I looked at the bulbs on pinballlife I saw they have "ghostbuster" 1SMD bulbs. Anyone have any experience with these? I assume if I do go with LED's I would want all whites and not too bright.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fletcher:

Thanks for the links to the different board options. When I looked at the bulbs on pinballlife I saw they have "ghostbuster" 1SMD bulbs. Anyone have any experience with these? I assume if I do go with LED's I would want all whites and not too bright.

If you are going to use boards to swap to LEDS you DO NOT want to use ghostbusters.
    1smd Warm White frosted will work in the most applications and look the most stock.
    Comet, pack of 50s or whatever you need.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fletcher:

Ghostbuster LED's are made for machines that have lamp matricies (williams, mainly) - not bally/stern. LED's flicker in Bally/stern games because of the software timing of bulbs turning on/off - not all bulbs will do it, it depends on where they are in the sequence.

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago

I've converted my MPU200 Quicksilver to LEDs and added flicker eliminator kit. GI seems good, but so many of the inserts are flickering like crazy. Any thoughts? LEDs aren't anything too fancy, but they weren't cheap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-x-s-amp-o-s-project-led-s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.