pasted_image (resized).png
20231129_232649 (resized).jpg
20231129_232439 (resized).jpg
PCD5101P_Real.jpg
PCD5101P_Fakes.jpg
20231129_204312 (resized).jpg
20231129_204224 (resized).jpg
IMG_5317 (resized).jpeg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 months ago

FYI for anyone burning their own freeplay roms from Olivers pinball4you:

Key point, when he says rename the original U6 filename...do just that....change the file name to be U6 and dont worry about extension (.XXX)

The custcre.bat is looking for a very specific size and checksum. In many cases you cannot just use the IPDB ROMS. I found best success using ROMS from bly2732.zip which is out there if you look for it

And you will need to use old command prompts, or know your EPROM burner software settings well, to combine ROMs to get to the correct size.
I got alot of "gencust bdat-900.bin is not the original ROM file, please dump again" until I figured this out. Example of a cmd line copy /b 720-30_6.716 + 720-30_6.716 U6 = this combines 2 ROMS into one file called U6 (see my first key point above). Then you can run Olivers custom create file.

Once I had this part down I was making custom ROMS all over the place. Hope that helps

#52 7 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

On a Strikes and Spares I did the replay set really low (like 6k) to add credits but that causes the knocker to go off....so was not as slick a solution.

For your Strikes and Spares, may I suggest to install the freeplay version floating around known as "stk_sprc" which also includes some other minor things. Check the update.txt file that comes with it.

1 month later
#53 6 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

FYI for anyone burning their own freeplay roms from Olivers pinball4you:
Key point, when he says rename the original U6 filename...do just that....change the file name to be U6 and dont worry about extension (.XXX)
The custcre.bat is looking for a very specific size and checksum. In many cases you cannot just use the IPDB ROMS. I found best success using ROMS from bly2732.zip which is out there if you look for it
And you will need to use old command prompts, or know your EPROM burner software settings well, to combine ROMs to get to the correct size.
I got alot of "gencust bdat-900.bin is not the original ROM file, please dump again" until I figured this out. Example of a cmd line copy /b 720-30_6.716 + 720-30_6.716 U6 = this combines 2 ROMS into one file called U6 (see my first key point above). Then you can run Olivers custom create file.
Once I had this part down I was making custom ROMS all over the place. Hope that helps

Thanks for the post, this was helpful. You are correct that the pinball4you tool will only accept 4k ROMs and the IPD ROMs are copies of the original 2k 9316 ROMs which are 2k. You can take the IPDB ROMs and double them using the a Windows command prompt and typing

copy /b 2k.ROM+2k.ROM U6

With the 2k.ROM replaced with the name of your 2k file and the U6 being whatever you want the output file named. After you do this the pinball4you will accept the resulting 4k ROM. You can also find the bly2732.zip which already has the ROMs converted from 2k to 4k but not by doubling rather by adding extra zeros to it.

If you do not have a 4k EPROM like a 2732, you can write the resulting image to a 2716 2k ROM but you only want to write from 00800 onword as the pinball4you tool only puts the game code in the 2nd half of the file. To do this with Xgpro for programers like the TL766II Plus you want to go to file load and adjust the "From File Start Adder(Hex)" value to 00800. I have attached an image. Xgpro (resized).pngXgpro (resized).png

Thank for helping me along the journey.

#54 6 months ago
Quoted from radix:

To do this with Xgpro for programers like the TL766II Plus

What 2732 EPROMs are you successfully programming with the TL866ii Plus?

#55 6 months ago
Quoted from radix:

If you do not have a 4k EPROM like a 2732, you can write the resulting image to a 2716 2k ROM but you only want to write from 00800 onword as the pinball4you tool only puts the game code in the 2nd half of the file. To do this with Xgpro for programers like the TL766II Plus you want to go to file load and adjust the "From File Start Adder(Hex)" value to 00800. I have attached an image. [quoted image]
Thank for helping me along the journey.

Thank you @radix! Above was helpful as I have WAY more 2716's that I could use to burn roms. I will have to try this on my Future Spa (next project in line). I have the GQ-4X so need to find that option in settings.

#56 6 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Thank you @radix! Above was helpful as I have WAY more 2716's that I could use to burn roms. I will have to try this on my Future Spa (next project in line). I have the GQ-4X so need to find that option in settings.

You can reduce the file size in a hex editor as well and then the resulting file will work with any programer. I use ImHex which is open source and has a web version in addition to Windows and Mac, so you do not even need to download anything. Simply open the 4k file in ImHex and select everything before 00000800, right-click and select remove and then save your new 2k file. imhex (resized).pngimhex (resized).png

There are ways at the command prompt to truncate a file using something like DD but most people are more comfortable with a GUI approach. You can also double or trip files this way by simply selecting copying the contents.

#57 6 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

What 2732 EPROMs are you successfully programming with the TL866ii Plus?

I do not have any 2732s on hand which is why I cut the files down to fit on 2716s. I recall having programmed both the same way using my TL866ii Plus. The TL866ii Plus only produces 18v and 2716/32 requires 25v, however, I have found you can program a little lower but not much point in reducing it as the datasheet specs a VPP up to 26.5v. I use a ~$30 variable DC bench power supply and set it to 25v before connecting it to the EPROM. I lift pin 21 (VPP) with needlenose pliers and connect the positive lead of my power supply to pin 21. I connect ground from the power supply to pin 12 (VSS), I do not lift pin 12 as I want a common ground for the programmer and the power supply.
M2716 (resized).jpgM2716 (resized).jpg

Newer versions of Xgpro will throw a pin error when programming stating that pin 21 is missing but present a button to continue anyway. If you continue it will program as expected. Older versions of Xgpro require you to turn off pin detection as it won't proceed to program. I would just upgrade Xgpro as pen detection is a useful feature and clicking continue is not a lot of labor.

#58 6 months ago
Quoted from radix:

I do not have any 2732s on hand

Ah that answers my question, I thought you might have magically found some 2732 that work

The issue with TL866-II Plus and 2732 go beyond the low programming voltage. For some weird reason they are using the wrong logic level for the program pulse which results in the inability to program 2732. The original TL866CS/A worked correctly and so too the updated TL866-3G (T48) models.

In your photo above you are programming a 2716 which does not have the opposite program logic pulse issue.

The issue has been posted on the XGECU support forum and is two years old now yet they still haven't resolved what should be a very simple firmware fix..

http://forums.xgecu.com/viewthread.php?tid=526&extra=page%3D2

4 months later
#59 51 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW, can you do us a big favor and post your picture above into the other thread so we can keep all 5101 pictures (real and counterfeit) together? Also a link reference to this thread.
Thanks in advance.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-as-2518-35-display-problem#post-8205308
5101 set (resized).jpg5101 set (resized).jpg

i'm working on 2 boards.
The problem is they both stop working after the solenoids reset. The drop targets reset the saucer fires, but when the atrackt mode starts switching lights the displays go blank and there seems to be no visible activity.
They both can go into test mode. There the lights all blink. The displays have issues, on one board some display digit one and two, counting as they should. some are completly blank. The other board has no displays active. Both solenoid test works also oke.
Both can be coined up and start a game. One plays but scores reset on a 300 point score. If I hit a 100 point it keeps score just fine. 1000 points also work fine and I can keep scoring and the display of player one can show 999900 (in test only 1's and 10's get displayed)
The cabinet plays well with my good test board.

I bought 10 ram chips a while ago, just in case. Now I look at them, they look suspicious. There are two different molds used and they all have the same date code? They also show grinding marks on the top surface.

Quench mentioned there may be two good chips in the batch, and he was right. The ones marked "43145" and "33642" on the bottom are very likely original Philips PCD5101P and they do work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,395 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Folsom, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 22.50
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.