20231129_232649 (resized).jpg
20231129_232439 (resized).jpg
PCD5101P_Real.jpg
PCD5101P_Fakes.jpg
20231129_204312 (resized).jpg
20231129_204224 (resized).jpg
IMG_5317 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I Picked up a non working bally Star Trek.
The mpu booted and played the start up tune.
After repinning some connectors on the rectifier board, cleaning some switches,
replacing some fuses and rebuilding the high voltage section of the solenoid board
Things are mostly all running. I just have a weird problem on the displays.

P1 display mirrors the credit display. P2 display is sometimes blank other times mirrors credit display.

Searching for the error so far :
- I've replaced the two displays with two known working display from my Bally Powerplay
this didn't fix it, the problem is not on displays

- Clay's guide mentioned the fishpaper insulator on the coindoor switches.
Disconnected coin door but error remained

- Removed wire 24 from the J1 connector on the mpu.
Credit display showed 000000 but the P1 display still showed the credits

- Put a working -17 mpu from Powerplay in the Star Trek. Obviously the game didn't work, but the displays showed the
correct data for P1-4 and Credit. So now I know the error lies within the -35mpu. I just don't know where to look

The repair guides mosltly mention how to fix the displaysboards themselves, not so much the signal gets there.
Any help is appreciated!

#2 4 years ago

If you say the displays are good, try replacing U20 (CD4502).
That is the chip which selects which display to show the data at the appropriate time.
It's only a 50 cent part....

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice Inkochnito.
I got a new chip in u20.
Sadly with messing around changing the boards I've seem to have taken a step backward instead of forword.

I can only get the mpu board to 6 flashes.
I seem to have a problem with the zero detection section. I'll have to look into this first.

#4 4 years ago

Check the 43V fuse.
Or the J4 connector on the MPU.
To board may just be missing the 43V to boot.

1 week later
#5 4 years ago

I finally was able to fix the booting problem.
After crimping all new connectors on the rectifier side. And new crimps on the j4 connector of the mpu.
Replacing the components that make up the zero crossing detector.
Still made no difference.

Then I came upon this old post by KenLayton:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-bally-sound-board-help#post-4025551

And after replacing diode cr3 on the sound board. I'm back with a 7th flash and a fully booting board.

zero crossing (resized).jpgzero crossing (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Which brings me back to the original problem :
After replacing u20 (cd4502)
The p1 and p2 displays still mirror the credit/match display

#7 4 years ago

You said you did repinning...
Also A4J1?
Check for a short between J1-10 and J1-11.
Otherwise I'm out of ideas...
Maybe Quench can help.

#8 4 years ago

Have you tried unplugging all of the displays and then plug one in at a time.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Pk98:

The p1 and p2 displays still mirror the credit/match display

Can you please try this for me:
Disconnect connectors J2 and J3 from the MPU board - these are playfield and cabinet switch harnesses respectively.
Disconnect connector J4 from the lamp driver board.

Do P1 and P2 displays still mirror the credit/match display?

The game switches and lamps share the same signals with the display select signals so disconnecting those connectors I mentioned isolates them from the display circuits.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

You said you did repinning...
Also A4J1?
Check for a short between J1-10 and J1-11.
Otherwise I'm out of ideas...
Maybe Quench can help.

Thank you for the help.
I didn't replace the pins only the female connector side of A4J4.
I'm not finding a short between the two pins you mentioned.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Have you tried unplugging all of the displays and then plug one in at a time.

Thanks for the suggestion. But i've narrowed the problem down to the mpu itself.
With a different mpu the displays work fine.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can you please try this for me:
Disconnect connectors J2 and J3 from the MPU board - these are playfield and cabinet switch harnesses respectively.
Disconnect connector J4 from the lamp driver board.
Do P1 and P2 displays still mirror the credit/match display?
The game switches and lamps share the same signals with the display select signals so disconnecting those connectors I mentioned isolates them from the display circuits.

Thanks for helping Quench.
With J2 and J3 of the mpu
and J4 of the lampdriver board removed.
The result is the same.
P1 and P2 = credit/match.

If i connect my -17 mpu from Powerplay
in the star trek head; the displays show the correct data.
If I connect my -35 mpu from star trek in the powerplay head; the mirrored displays are there too.

So I know with the Star trek the problem lies in the -35mpu and not the displays, wiring or other boards.

Just my electronic knowledge is not good enough to understand the shematics..
If you can suggest more places I can measure or try..

#13 4 years ago

The section of the mpu

IMG_20191227_140454 (resized).jpgIMG_20191227_140454 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

see if any of the latch strobes are shorted together. can do some resistance comparisons from the working MPU to the one acting up. If the latch strobe is happening at the wrong time the displays will read/display data intended for a different display.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

try swapping the U10/U11 PIA chips that drive the displays to see if the problem follows a PIA chip

2 weeks later
#15 4 years ago

barakandl lets see if you can point me in the right direction again.
With this mpu i seem to always be taking 1 step forward 2 steps backward.

I discovered that who ever previously replaced u20 and installed a socket
had scratched up two traces underneath that go from pin 3 and 6 to pads upward.
I removed the socket repaired the traces and placed a new socket.
In hindsight I probably was beter off repearing the traces with wires on the backside,
but i wanted to remove to examine the state of the other traces.

Ever since this the boot sequence is stuck on 5 flashes (flicker, flash,pause, 4 more flashes)
5 flashes should be the display interrupt generator. But the voltages around the 555 timer match the schematic
and i'm getting a pulsing signal on pin 40 of pia2 (aprox 4.4v 430hz)
Pia's have all been switched around.

Any idea's?

IMG_20191229_001858 (resized).jpgIMG_20191229_001858 (resized).jpg
3 years later
#16 5 months ago

Pk98 Good day! Did you ever get the display mirroring resolved? I have the same on my flash gordon. I did what Quench said above (2 connectors off MPU and J4 off lamp boar) and problem persisted for me. I have not replace U20 but was going to.

#17 5 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Did you ever get the display mirroring resolved? I have the same on my flash gordon.

Which displays are showing as mirrored on your game?

#18 5 months ago

Quench Howdy! Credit and player 3 share data and player 1 and 3 share score (see pics). First one is before a game start, second is in a game trying to show the duplicative scoring.
Looks like there is shifting also, like positions are off

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#19 5 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Credit and player 3 share data and player 1 and 3 share score (see pics).

What happens when you swap the player 3 with player 4 display? Does the problem follow the display or stay as it was?

#20 5 months ago

Quench when I switch 3 and 4 it stays the same. Part of credit is on player 3 and it mirrors the score of player 1 but off by one digit on player 3. I know I need to go through the displays and fix digits out and normal refurb. Does the fact it did not move point to the MPU (U20 or some other IC)?

#21 5 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Does the fact it did not move point to the MPU (U20 or some other IC)?

Hmm, there are no other issues with the game? Lamps all lighting when they should and switches operating correctly?
Got another Bally MPU board to hookup temporarily? - no need to change ROMs just plug it in and disconnect J4 from the solenoid driver board so solenoids don't incorrectly activate.

Otherwise grab your multi-meter and set it to resistance mode. If it's not an auto-ranging meter put it on the 200k ohms resistance scale. With one meter probe on pin 2 of MPU U20 and the other meter probe on the third displays pin 1 of the U1 chip you should measure around 20k ohms. If horribly out you have a connection problem on that display select signal. If it's in resistance range then try swapping U20 on the MPU board.

#22 5 months ago

Thank you @quench! I got no reading so will work on connection, check headers for cold joints and refurb the displays. Then I can retest and see if I need do U20. Will go ahead and order one just in case.

#23 5 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Thank you Quench! I got no reading so will work on connection, check headers for cold joints and refurb the displays. Then I can retest and see if I need do U20. Will go ahead and order one just in case.

The credit / ball in play display is the last written to in the display refresh sequence.
An open circuit on the 3rd display select signal could result in that display accepting all data written to any displays and since the credit / ball in play is last, those details will stick the most.

First thing simply wiggle the J1 connector on the MPU board and the display connector to see if it's a connection issue on either end.

#24 4 months ago

Quench Well I retested all my U20 connections to all 4 displays (J1 pins 20 to 24) + credit and got 20k on each respective pin (from display U1 pin 1 back to U20 respective pins). Parts came in from Marco so I swapped out U20. No real change. Then I replaced the U11 PIA. No real change.

I consider the digits
7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 when you look at the display

So Initial start:
P1= 7 to 3 on ones and 00 on digits 7 and 6
P2=0 on 6 digit and 00 on ones and tens
Credit shows 300 (digits 6, 5, 4) and 0 on ones
P3=300 on hundreds/tens/ones
P4=shows 4 0 in thousands, hundreds, tens, ones

When it switches to high score:
P1: flashes all digits and you can see the high score something like 105600 but hard to make out with the flicker
P2: flickers all but the 6th digit when showing 105600
Credit=shows 5600 starting from the digit 6, 5, 4, 3 digit 2 off and digit one =1
P3:flashes all digits and you can see the high score something like 105600 but hard to make out with the flicker
P4:flashes all digits and you can see the high score something like 105600 but hard to make out with the flicker

Start a game:
P1=00 and scores
P2=1 in digit 6
Credit= looks correct digit 6 and 5 show 38 and ones = 1
P3= starting from hundreds it shows 38. Will mirror the scoring from P1 for thousands and hundreds on P3 digit 6 and 5
P4 blank

In test:
P1= cycles correctly except tens and ones dont always show, it flickers but counts correctly when you can see it
P2=cycles correctly
Credit=cycles correctly
P3=cycles correctly
P4cycles correctly

In a game after first few switches it keeps scoring (P1 and P3 displays) then stops. I checked all the switches up there and they seem good. If I put it in switch test and leave it there for a while or bang on the playfield I dont get any switch errors (with ball out). Not sure if that is related to displays or not.

Where do you think I should go from here? Could U8 be bad and screw up the info sent to displays?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#25 4 months ago

U8 is a possibility, *especially* if someones installed a Chinese counterfeit part in the last few years. Can you post a real clear picture of it so I can see if it's real or not?

#26 4 months ago

Quench Here is the pic. Good news it is socketed and I believe I have some 5101's in my Bally box. Can swap it and see tonight.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#27 4 months ago

Ami Brand 6810... That Brand has a higher failure rate than others.

#28 4 months ago

Success!!!!!! Changed the 5101 and the display issue is resolved as is then weird scoring issue. Quench thank you so much for your guidance! I learned so much more about the Bally displays through this.

IMG_5317 (resized).jpegIMG_5317 (resized).jpeg
#29 4 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Success!!!!!! Changed the 5101 and the display issue is resolved

Great!
Your 5101 is an original "Synertek 5101L-3". Can you do me a favor and post a picture of the back of the chip?

A few year back when good Philips 5101 were cheap and plentiful from China I bought 100pcs. To my horror I received remarked chips of various unknown brands. The worst part was the very high failure rate and from memory did see various display issues with some.
A rear picture of yours may help me brand cross reference some of these remarks.

Anyhow great to see you fixed it

#30 4 months ago

here are a few from my chip graveyard.

20231129_204224 (resized).jpg20231129_204224 (resized).jpg20231129_204312 (resized).jpg20231129_204312 (resized).jpg
#31 4 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

here are a few from my chip graveyard.

Thanks!

Below is a sample of the junk 5101 remarks I got - doesn't look like yours match any:
The very bottom picture is real Philips chips which is what I was expecting.

PCD5101P_Fakes.jpgPCD5101P_Fakes.jpg

Real Philips PCD5101P chips:

PCD5101P_Real.jpgPCD5101P_Real.jpg

#32 4 months ago

Some more.

20231129_232439 (resized).jpg20231129_232439 (resized).jpg20231129_232649 (resized).jpg20231129_232649 (resized).jpg
#33 4 months ago

That's a fair collection!

#34 4 months ago

I used to fix a lot of bally and WMS MPU boards. Dead 5101s was pretty common. I've got a nice 6810 collection too as I would always convert 6808s to 6802s in the sake of one less socket.

So many different brands back in the late 70s to early 80s.

#35 4 months ago

Quench Here is mine...

#36 4 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

@Quench Here is mine...

Thanks fellas, the original marks on the bottom of my remarks don't seem to match any in these pictures. Oh well.

#37 4 months ago

I've found a few too....

5101_chips.jpg5101_chips.jpg
#38 4 months ago

I've found a few more that may interest you....

5101_chips_2.jpg5101_chips_2.jpg5101_chips_3.jpg5101_chips_3.jpg
#39 4 months ago

Quench after fixing the displays the max credits no longer registers (when I set the dips to max 40). Both dip 25 and 26 are clearly on and none of the components in line test messed up. from one side of 25 and 26 to the other it measures connected.

Also the single drop target will still do run away scoring but not everytime. Picture A was how it was wired which looked wrong to me so I changed it to picture B. Either way I still get run away scoring from time to time on that switch.

Trying to understand the single drop....Game start, press the shooter lane switch (close to the shooter rod), first 3 shooter lane rollovers dont score, once you get past them the single drop target comes up and the the 3 shooter lane rollovers score. Is that normal? Then does the single drop target increase in value or is it 10000 each time you hit it?

#40 4 months ago

all those switches under the playfield are wired the same.

just look at the next switch in the daisy chain.

i believe pic B has the diode with correct orientation but i can't make out how the wires are soldered to the leaf blades.

also the blades don't look like they are correctly aligned/set up.

do the 3 non scoring rollover switches show in switch test?

#41 4 months ago

Rikoshay yes the switches work in test. I think it is a “feature” of the game but didn’t see anything written about it. Will work on the blades and the drop mech

#42 4 months ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I've found a few more that may interest you...

Cheers, where did you buy the remarked Philips 5101?

Quoted from slghokie:

@Quench after fixing the displays the max credits no longer registers (when I set the dips to max 40).

What is max credits registering up to?

Quoted from slghokie:

Picture A was how it was wired which looked wrong to me

Picture A looks right to me based on what I can see of the leafs in the stack.
These games are designed to ignore closed stuck switches to prevent runaway scoring. You more likely have a switch gapped too closely that's touching with playfield vibration.

Quoted from slghokie:

Trying to understand the single drop....
Is that normal?

Looks normal to me.

Quoted from slghokie:

Then does the single drop target increase in value or is it 10000 each time you hit it?

Playfield says that drop target is 10,000 points and doesn't say it increases.

#43 4 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

Playfield says that drop target is 10,000 points and doesn't say it increases

Is there a flag in the fg code to prevent duplicate scoring? Maybe the switch is dirty/bouncing causing multiple activations.

#44 4 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Is there a flag in the fg code to prevent duplicate scoring?

A quick check in PinMAME says there's no 'down flag' for that drop target. So playfield vibrations can cause multiple activations due to poor switch conditions.

#45 4 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cheers, where did you buy the remarked Philips 5101?

I do not remember buying them.
Mostly they are pulls because of the replacement with nvrams.
I think they came with a batch of parts buy.
I hardly need any 5101 chips.

#46 4 months ago

Quench the max credit reads zero. The only way I get credits on there is if I manually add them. It will remember the amount I add when powered off.

Agree on the drop and rollovers working as designed. I watched Bowen's PAPA tutorial and seems to work that way (even though I could not see scoreboard). The rollovers score in switch test and the whole collect bonus thing works in the shooter lane.

I did clean that single drop switch and found with the gap. It is much better. All the switches on this one are gunky and wonky gaps so will be a process but at least it is playable now.

#47 4 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

Quench the max credit reads zero. The only way I get credits on there is if I manually add them. It will remember the amount I add when powered off.

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the max credit switches. It is the maximum allowed number of credits, not a fixed number of credits.
So if you keep pressing a coin switch you will never be able to go beyond 40 credits. i.e. the game can have anywhere between 0 and 40 credits as you've set them.
The stock factory ROMs do not have any freeplay mode via the max credit switches. However many modified ROMs provide freeplay when both of those dip switches are on.

Operators liked setting those max credit switches to 5 or 10 limiting the number of backup replays players could get.

#48 4 months ago

Quench I guess I was expecting it to act like my Eight Ball did. When I set those 2 dips then every time I turned it on I got 40 credits (effectively freeplay up to 40). I guess it had freeplay set roms on it. So if there is a ROM dependency on FG too then I need to update the ROM.

On a Strikes and Spares I did the replay set really low (like 6k) to add credits but that causes the knocker to go off....so was not as slick a solution.

#49 4 months ago
Quoted from slghokie:

On a Strikes and Spares I did the replay set really low (like 6k) to add credits but that causes the knocker to go off....so was not as slick a solution.

If you have access to an EPROM programmer, there are freeplay ROMs out there for Flash Gordon and Strikes and Spares.

#50 4 months ago

Quench I do, so I got the VPFforum U6 freeplay one which worked for freeplay but dip settings for 31 and 32 were either 2 ball or 4 ball. 3 and 5 ball will not work no matter the combo.

Then I tried pinball4you's process to create a custom U6 with Freeplay but it is not working. I guess I can be happy with freeplay and 4 ball til I figure out a better ROM for U6.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-wrong-display-data-mpu-related and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.