3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Mr and Ms Pac man that will not boot. I've confirmed its not an MPU problem as that will boot in another game.

When I got it the 5v fuse was blown. Isolated that issue down to the sound board which has currently been removed and the fuse no longer blows.

Now when it goes to boot it flashes 4 times and stops about half the time. The other half of the time it flashes 8 times, all the displays and insert lights flash for a split second, and then it locks up with no playfield lights on and no action from the LED.

Where do I start on this? Would a connector issue cause this behavior?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

ould a connector issue cause this behavior?

Yes, as well as other issues. Connectors are a common problem.

#3 3 years ago

Sounds like you are counting the flicker as you mention eight flashes. Since no 4th flash make sure MPU j1 and one of the lamp driver connectors are not mixed up. They are same pin count and key in the same position.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Sounds like you are counting the flicker as you mention eight flashes. Since no 4th flash make sure MPU j1 and one of the lamp driver connectors are not mixed up. They are same pin count and key in the same position.

Connectors are correct.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Connectors are correct.

unplug mpu j1, the sound board, driver j4 and see if reliably boots every time. if so put MPU j1 back on and unplug all the displays, lamp driver board, leave driver j4 and sound unplugged and try again. Then slowly add connectors back one at at a time and see if one of the other boards is causing 4th flash to fail.

check good +5v and good +21v test point on mpu

#6 3 years ago

As Barakandl said, check your voltages at the MPU. If you have an analog meter or an O'scope, use them while monitoring those voltages. I've seen the voltages dip below the threshold during start up, which causes the MPU to crash. Finding the cause can be a bear, but usually it turns out to be a connector issue.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-won-t-boot-4-flashes?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.