Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cab_assembly_v2.png
    screen-capture-1.png
    cab_side_v2a.png
    front_shooters_v2.png
    cab_front_v2.png
    cab_side_v2.png
    35Lock%2520Miter%2520Joint.jpg
    cab_side_v1.png
    backbox_back_and_side_v1.png
    cab_underside_v1.png
    cab_front_v1.png
    shooters_v2.png
    cab_back_v1.png
    complete_v1.png
    #1 11 years ago

Hi All,

I am working on full plans for the 90's Bally / WMS Cabinets and slowly getting info together as I need to remake a cab for myself but it also appears to be something of desire for many people as I found it near impossible to find details online and well my cabinet is still being used.

Please bare with me as since I am in Aus I have dimensioned up in metric so simply divide by 25.4 to get the appropriate imperial measurements. I did measure everything in imperial and rounded off to the nearest increment. And a big thanks to Rob in Aus with providing alot of the starting info has been a excellent help but need a few cross checks so no one is lead a stray.

Therefore I will show a few drawings that I have done so far and more will come when I have them ready to see if people can do a cross check and report any issues. Then once done I will provide a full set of drawings for those wanting to build their own cabinets for repairing. First instalment is a overall cab views (note trying to determine playfield location and even mirror blade exact location) and then the cabinet back dimension followed by the 4 different shooter rods / buttons / guns.

Does anyone have accurate dimensions of the hinges? It was a bit of a guess what I drew because of where my creech is jammed in a corner and lack of time.

It would be cool if people can determine any problems and report this back as in the end will provide:
    - cad dimensioned drawings in metric and imperial

Also my wife just gave birth to our second child 5 days ago so drawings won't be coming thick and fast.

Lastly interested to hear if the majority what this info, if not wanted I won't list as don't want to upset the the watching ones.

Note: please take care if using these dimensions as these are not confirmed yet by multiple people.

complete_v1.pngcomplete_v1.png cab_back_v1.pngcab_back_v1.png shooters_v2.pngshooters_v2.png

#2 11 years ago

Congrats on your second kid!

Drawings look great, too!

#3 11 years ago

Check out Vid's thread on making a couple potential new MM's from scratch. Info there may be useful for you here.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Check out Vid's thread on making a couple potential new MM's from scratch. Info there may be useful for you here.

do you have a link at all ?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

do you have a link at all ?

I think I found it, it appears to refer to a company making virtual pin cabinets, don't know how accurate and if it has everything that is on a standard Bally / WMS. My goal is to do the complete design with even a nested view of all the parts on a sheet of what would be plywood.

#6 11 years ago

I have a Williams BSD unpopulated cabinet and associated cabinet parts if you need any exact measurements.

#7 11 years ago

I have a Williams BSD unpopulated cabinet and associated cabinet parts if you need any exact measurements.

Once I show so more info, could you double check.

Here is the cabinet front and underneath

Note: ignore the hole at the top right of the cabinet this in correct and also ignore the shooter hole as the shooter diagram covers this

Additional note: For the cabinet pieces they are keyed in together like a mortise and tenon and not 45 deg butt joints.

WARNING - the front panel view is a old version so read on to view the revision.

cab_front_v1.pngcab_front_v1.png cab_underside_v1.pngcab_underside_v1.png

#8 11 years ago

and the back box dimensioning and cabinet side coming soon

backbox_back_and_side_v1.pngbackbox_back_and_side_v1.png

#9 11 years ago

last one

Note: these dimension are to suit the assembly detailed within these screen shoots, helps and thoughts will be much appreciated.

WARNING - the side panel view is a old version so read on to view the revision.

cab_side_v1.pngcab_side_v1.png

#10 11 years ago

Give me a few days and I'll verify those on my BSD. Gotta watch the Super Bowl tonight!!!!!!

#11 11 years ago

The corner joints on the cabinets are actually a "locking mitre joint" Jady .

It gives the outside corner the clean appearance of a mitre joint but has the inner tongue and groove joint for strength .

35Lock%2520Miter%2520Joint.jpg35Lock%2520Miter%2520Joint.jpg

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for that, though on my creech, it has the locking mortise and tenon without the 45 degree in which say the front panel has a lip that extends all the way across the front. But some people believe it is just a 45 butt joint and this is just too weak.

I am still yet to finalise the joints, more after the overall dimension check at this stage.

#13 11 years ago

a few people have discovered a few small issues. I am trying to keep the design to the nearest inch measurement and then convert to mm hence the anal accuracy of my measurements.

Can a few people could cross check the 2 bolts that sit at the back middle of the side cabinet view - distance from the bottom and the rear as getting a few odd dimensions and this is where the playfield pivoting mech is, so I want to get it right.

You can detail the measurement from the cabinet bottom to centre of the bolt and from the back of the cabinet to the centre of the bolt and inches will be fine, thanks in advance.

cab_side_v2.pngcab_side_v2.png cab_front_v2.pngcab_front_v2.png

#14 11 years ago

also can people have a look if they have their cabinets stripped and cross check the shooter assemblies as they all seem to have different centres from the rhs which doesn't seem logical but I haven't seen inside any of the cabinets apart from the manual plunger type.

front_shooters_v2.pngfront_shooters_v2.png

#15 11 years ago

There's one measurement that I don't see on "cab side v2", the height at the top of the angled part of the side panel. I've indicated it in red below.

cab_side_v2a.pngcab_side_v2a.png

#16 11 years ago

the SS rail are not in these images hence the step down at the top which is why I only put the very highest measurement

#17 11 years ago

here are those additional measurements of the top insert panel and the reference to where the SS goes and the glass panel would sit in between

screen-capture-1.pngscreen-capture-1.png

#18 11 years ago

Gotcha. That's a big help though, thank you.

#19 11 years ago

On some research and checking my 2 pins (creech and a modern Stern iron man both have the same joint method). But the joint system may need to be a little bit stronger, as reports state some strength issues at the front lip. Doing a 45 degree may have been a feature at one stage but the new sterns are doing the joint the same as the 90's Ballys. So I don't see a big issue changing, but could do a small test panel to do a test on strength of the joint with the lip thickened up a little more.

cab_assembly_v2.pngcab_assembly_v2.png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-wms-cabinet-designs-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.