Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
E227BA8A-39C4-442D-B579-05B7B54D3C64 (resized).jpeg
C969B0DB-AF54-4332-9998-4AF6D6FEBDBE (resized).jpeg
7D21DD8A-E718-4C2B-AB2A-99177A5C6D14 (resized).jpeg
A4BBD3F4-8199-41E9-B434-533F5A5CEDFC (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

1975 Bally Wizard I bought out of a warehouse here in Huntington WV. The owner said it had sat for over a decade.

Playfield was in great condition with very mild planking. There were no obvious modifications or repairs except the coin door was stripped, only wires going to the credit button.
It was very clean inside. I bought it.
Fuses tested good and it powered up. The score motor reset to the zero position, credit button tried to start a game but the score reels ran and ran.
I took out the bottom board, serviced the stepper units , cleaned and inspected all the switches 99% of them needed no tweaking, then did the head and playfield.

It now resets the reels and starts up to a 4 player game but won’t advance past ball one to step up to player two. When the ball goes in the out hole it kicks it out again and remains on player one.
If you manually step up the player unit, all the score reels work appropriately except for the 1000s.
The 1000 point relay will machine gun 5 pulses per 1000 points scored. The player unit does step down when the ball goes in the outhole.

In the video, a one player game was started and the 500 points switch was activated twice to sore 1000 points total. The ball goes in the out hole and tries to score a 2000 bonus.
The plastic switch activator is broken on the outside of the last switch on the 1000’s relay. Could this be my scoring problem and is the part obtainable?

This is my first real EM repair and I am struggling with the schematics though I am learning.

7D21DD8A-E718-4C2B-AB2A-99177A5C6D14 (resized).jpeg7D21DD8A-E718-4C2B-AB2A-99177A5C6D14 (resized).jpegA4BBD3F4-8199-41E9-B434-533F5A5CEDFC (resized).jpegA4BBD3F4-8199-41E9-B434-533F5A5CEDFC (resized).jpegC969B0DB-AF54-4332-9998-4AF6D6FEBDBE (resized).jpegC969B0DB-AF54-4332-9998-4AF6D6FEBDBE (resized).jpegE227BA8A-39C4-442D-B579-05B7B54D3C64 (resized).jpegE227BA8A-39C4-442D-B579-05B7B54D3C64 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

won’t advance past ball one to step up to player two. When the ball goes in the out hole it kicks it out again and remains on player one.

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

Had the exact same plastic switch actuator issue on my Wizard when I first got it. On mine it was burnt and broken in two places and definitely had to be replaced.

Not the easiest item to find but You should post on the EM seeking parts thread and someone can probably hook you up. I believe pinhead52 sent me the correct one but I may be wrong. Anyway that thread would be a good place to start.

#4 2 years ago

Thank you tonight I will start trouble shooting with alligator clips and reach out to seeking parts thread.
I will post updates.

#5 2 years ago

You can also check eBay. There is a guy selling multiple parted out relays with switches coils and actuators now from a Wizard!

I’m assuming some of those actuators will fit but you’d want to make sure by checking your switch actuators on different relays. Obviously you’d have to pay for the whole part.

ebay.com link: BALLY WIZARD 1975 PINBALL MACHINE 2ND COIN CHUTE 3 SWITCH COIL

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

You can also check eBay. There is a guy selling multiple parted out relays with switches coils and actuators now from a Wizard!

The right lane relay looks like it will do the trick. It is ordered. Thanks for the tip.

#7 2 years ago

I got my new actuator plastic. It fit and my 1000’s reels are working correctly.
I am unsure where to alligator clip on each switch so I cleaned and made small adjustments to each switch in the circuit.
It now steps up to the next player and the ball count unit is working correctly.
But now it is stepping to the next player even if you start a one player game. I'm getting closer!
I assume you place the alligator clips, one on the base of one side of a switch and touch the other, or am I jumping the whole switch stack?? I’ve been searching for a photo/video that shows the process but haven’t had any luck.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

But now it is stepping to the next player even if you start a one player game.

That sounds like correct behavior.

#9 2 years ago

In a 1 player game it was going through all 4 players before switching to ball 2 but with a little more tweaking it is playing 1 through 4 player game appropriately.

Thank you all for the help! I am understanding these games better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-wizard-scoring-and-ball-advance-issues?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.