• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

Hi folks! New member here who has finally realized a long time dream and recently acquired two pinball machines I've always wanted, one of which is a Bally Wizard. The game works for the most part but has a quirk that I haven't been able to sort out. I'm usually pretty good mechanically, but this is my first foray into EM pinball machines. I've searched the forum and found posts from others with similar issues, but I couldn't find any where they posted what the actual resolution was. Here's what the machine is doing:

When you start the game and push the credit button, everything resets as it should and the ball in play count goes to 1. However, when the ball launches into the shooting lane, it advances to ball 2. If you push the credit button again, it resets again and starts on ball 1. It does this every time without fail.

From there the game sometimes plays through all five balls normally, but sometimes does not. It will skip balls, i.e. ball 2 goes into the drain, and it will advance to ball 3 and then to ball 4 before the ball is ejected to the shooting lane.

The stepper unit works easily by hand but I cleaned it to be sure. I've also checked and cleaned the ejector solenoid, cleaned the switch on the ball drain, as well as the # 3 and # 8 switch stacks on the switch motor. I'm at a loss as to where to look next, so any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Congrats on your new games and welcome to Pinside!!

It sounds like the Outhole switch may need adjustment.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 3 years ago

Hi Mike, Welcome to pinside!!

You two separate malfunctions.

Quoted from spikemike:

When you start the game and push the credit button, everything resets as it should and the ball in play count goes to 1. However, when the ball launches into the shooting lane, it advances to ball 2. If you push the credit button again, it resets again and starts on ball 1. It does this every time without fail.

The Outhole relay shouldn't activate the Ball Count Stepup solenoid until the Ball Index relay is holding in, which shouldn't happen until the game scores 10, 100 or 1000. What are the Ball Index relay, the 10 Point relay, the 100 Point relay, and the 1000 Point relay doing when this happens?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Hi Mike, Welcome to pinside!!
You two separate malfunctions.

The Outhole relay shouldn't activate the Ball Count Stepup solenoid until the Ball Index relay is holding in, which shouldn't happen until the game scores 10, 100 or 1000. What are the Ball Index relay, the 10 Point relay, the 100 Point relay, and the 1000 Point relay doing when this happens?
[quoted image]

This happens before one shoots the ball onto the playfield, so before any scoring happens at all. Would the point relays still come into play in this case?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from spikemike:

This happens before one shoots the ball onto the playfield, so before any scoring happens at all. Would the point relays still come into play in this case?

They could for example if you have a stuck playfield switch

#6 3 years ago

OK, I'll check the point relays later today and revert. At least one of the relays in that area does hum pretty loudly.

#7 3 years ago

OK, I took a look at it last night. After pushing the start button, the top two left switches on the ten point relay close and stay closed. The other point relay switches all remain open. I'm having trouble locating the ball index relay since over half of the labels inside this machine are illegible or missing altogether. I -think- it's the one next to the coin relay, but I'm not 100% sure. I also checked all of the rollover switches on the playfield and none of them are shorted closed. The outhole switch also looks to be properly adjusted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-wizard-ball-advance-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.