(Topic ID: 267562)

Bally/Williams coin door lights

By attitude05

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual pg2.pdf (PDF preview)
    Bally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual.pdf copy.pdf (PDF preview)
    cdoor (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I just installed replacement coin doors on my theater of magic and Attack from Mars. Previously the Coin door lights worked but now with the new doors they will not. Any suggestions?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

I just installed replacement coin doors on my theater of magic and Attack from Mars. Previously the Coin door lights worked but now with the new doors they will not. Any suggestions?

Did you check to see if there there are bulbs installed in the new doors?

#3 3 years ago

I'd grab a meter and check AC GI power to sockets - if none then to the coin door interface board.

Not knowing what door you put on, did it come with an appropriate harness to plug right in ?

If you had to wire it in, did you get the socket wires to the right spot on the coin door interface board ?

If all you worked on was up front, I'd concentrate on that area. Not likely you have a connector off in the head.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

Yes. I replaced them also.

#5 3 years ago

The doors have the connector.

#6 3 years ago

Are use the replacement coin doors from pinball life.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

Do they have the adapter plugged into the connector too ?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

See the adapter circled in red - do you have that ?

If so grab a mater and try and figure where you lost power. Which would be strange on two doors.

cdoor (resized).jpgcdoor (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

Looks like GI power comes off of pins 3 & 5 (pin 1 ground) of J2 (5 pins total) on the Coin Door Interface board to pins 1 & 2 (pin 3 ground) of J5 (13 pins total) on the coindoor.

Bally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual.pdf copy.pdfBally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual.pdf copy.pdf
    Bally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual pg2.pdfBally_1994_World_Cup_Soccer_Manual pg2.pdf

#10 3 years ago

Would a ground issue cause that?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

Would a ground issue cause that?

No. Coin door lights are AC. Hot to common.

Please take a meter, set to AC. See if you have power at the coin door light sockets - and leaving the coin door interface board. Connector J5 pins 1 & 2.

Did you check if your coin door harness has the adapter, or have you checked if your coin door harness has wiring from the light sockets to the coin door interface board. Connector J5 pins 1 and 2 ?

I suspect you are missing the adapter or wires, since you have a common problem on both doors/games.

#12 3 years ago

Do you have any idea where to get the adapter?

I have this exact same problem and I am missing it. I did a quick search and I could not locate one.

Thanks

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from justdavid:

Do you have any idea where to get the adapter?

Marco sells the Entropy coin door with it - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/09-61000-X

I don't know of anyone that sells just the adapter.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from justdavid:

I have this exact same problem and I am missing it.

J5 on the coin door interface board has an IDC connector to it. I would run two wires from the coin door lights to pins 1 & 2 on J5 and using an IDC insertion tool stick the wires in J5 and be done with it.

#15 3 years ago

Old pic. The coin doors used to need an adaptor 15 years ago.

The original doors to hit the market many years ago were overstock from Entropy when WMS closed their pinball devision. These overstock doors were originally meant for Pin2000 machines which used a different harness. We made an adaptor harness so that these doors would work on WPC and WPC-95 machines.

Once the overstock doors dried up we remanufactured the doors to work with WPC and WPC-95 machines, so the adaptor harness was no longer needed.

I see Marco's picture also shows the adaptor harness.

Buying a door from them will not include an adaptor harness either.

Again, an adaptor harness no longer needed.

I guess we should both update our pictures!

As for the lights not working I have no idea. The batch of doors we have in stock we have been selling for 1-1/2 years with no issues

Terry.

#16 3 years ago

So for the original poster.

Please check power at the sockets - yes ? check if bulbs are good. No, then check power to the coin door interface board - Yes ? Then check power leaving board - yes- then follow the wiring for a break. If no power to the coin door interface board, then check if a connector on the power driver board is off, or hidden behind the board or in the wiring. Then check power leaving that board. If power is going out then follow along the wiring for a break to the coin door interface board.

This is AC, so set your meter to AC and check hot to common, not hot to ground.

1 week later
    #17 3 years ago

There is power to the board but no power at the socket.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from attitude05:

There is power to the board but no power at the socket.

You've narrowed it down. Power leaving the board ? No, then board issue. Power leaving the board ? Yes, then follow the wires to the socket to see if you have wires going there from the board to the sockets, and if there is a break along the way.

3 years later
    #19 5 months ago

Resurrecting this thread, as it's good information and I had a voltage question. Reproduction coin doors and start buttons come with 5V bulbs. Should these be swapped out for 6.3V in a WPC build, for example. Could that have been the issue here?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-williams-coin-door-lights- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.