Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Encountered a very odd issue today that has me stumped. I was looking at a Bally Viking that would not score the special or 50,000 points from the standup that is behind the inline drop targets. The switch test fine in the switch test but does not score during game play. I do not see a way of turning off playfield specials from the dip switches. Has anyone encountered this before?

#2 7 years ago

Make sure the game detects all those drop targets when they drop.

#3 7 years ago

The drops all score, the bonus multiplier advances, and the special light comes on but will not score.

In the switch test I can close the switch and it registers. Just not during game play not matter how long you hold it closed.

#4 7 years ago

Did you have all the drop targets down when you tried it in switch test?

#5 7 years ago

Might seem so obvious that perhaps you never tried to clean the contact.
Use a simple business card and place it between the target contacts( I know it may be tight in there )
then squeeze the target to the contact and slide the business card back and forth.
If this doe not remedy things, then apply a VERY fine sandpaper in the same fashion. DON"T over do it. Two or three times is good.
Has worked just fine on my Viking and Big Game.
Sometimes simple things is all it takes.
Hope 'ya get it figured out.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Use a simple business card and place it between the target contacts( I know it may be tight in there )
then squeeze the target to the contact and slide the business card back and forth.
If this doe not remedy things, then apply a VERY fine sandpaper in the same fashion. DON"T over do it. Two or three times is good.
Has worked just fine on my Viking and Big Game.
Sometimes simple things is all it takes.
Hope 'ya get it figured out.

Would not jump to sandpaper (at LEAST 2K) as second option without definitively proving it's a mechanical failure at contact points.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

If it were a dirty contact it would not register in the switch test. It tests good with the drop targets up or down during the switch test.

During game play the drop targets all register, the special light is lit but will never score when the standup is hit, held closed, etc.

#8 7 years ago

Do you have both dip switch 6 and 7 on the MPU board configure to "ON" so specials awards a replay?

#10 7 years ago

Both of the dip switches are set correctly.

Not having a knocker coil should not impact the game scoring the special and advancing the target to then score 50,000 points.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

In the switch test I can close the switch and it registers.

So to confirm, with all Drop Targets reset up and the ball taken out of the Outhole, does the switch test in service mode report "0" closed switches in the Ball in Play display?
And then when you press the red standup target it reports "05"? Then "04" when you drop the first inline drop target, then "03" when you drop the next until you drop the 4th inline which should report "01"?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

So to confirm, with all Drop Targets reset up and the ball taken out of the Outhole, does the switch test in service mode report "0" closed switches in the Ball in Play display?
And then when you press the red standup target it reports "05"? Then "04" when you drop the first inline drop target, then "03" when you drop the next until you drop the 4th inline which should report "01"?

Correct. It just never scores the special or advances to score 50,000 in play.

#13 7 years ago

Does it have an original MPU board or is it running an Alltek?

When I look at it in emulation, knocking down the 4 left inline drop targets will make specials light. If both dip switches 6 and 7 were set to OFF, hitting the red stand-up target at this point will NOT award any credit nor any score and the specials light will go out. Hitting the red target again will then score 50,000.

If this is the behavior you're seeing then you need to work out why the MPU board is not recognising both of those two dip switches as being ON. Toggle them both a few times to try and get them to make contact in case they're dirty or at least try a different setting to see if it awards something else (Extra ball or 50,000 novelty).

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Does it have an original MPU board or is it running an Alltek?

It is the original board.

#15 7 years ago

Standup target that works in switch test but not during play - try a new .047uf capacitor on the switch.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=5

Had same issue with Future Spa 'Futurity' target and Silverball 'N' target.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Standup target that works in switch test but not during play - try a new .047uf capacitor on the switch.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=5
Had same issue with Future Spa 'Futurity' target and Silverball 'N' target.

Yup. I've run into that problem many time over the years. There's defiantly a difference between holding the switch in test mode and a ball tapping the target momentarily while in play.

#17 7 years ago

What a frustrating conundrum for a fellow Pinsider.
Sure hope the last few suggestions offer a remedy.
Must admit I am intrigued, as in a one Viking owner to another type of way.
Would really like to know when you get it corrected and what the problem was.
Keep at it!

#18 7 years ago

Try a new capacitor on the switch or cut the one that's on it now.

3 months later
#19 7 years ago

Solved - PIA chip was bad at U10

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-viking-red-standup-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.