You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210212_164812 (resized).jpg
20210212_164820 (resized).jpg
20210212_164639 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Carrying on from the troubleshooting in general Bally/Stern AS-2518 club, I just recently acquired a Bally Viking that needs a bit of work and one of the problems that it is having is that the lower right pop bumper isn't firing during a game. The switch will make the sound effect and score. It won't fire in test mode. It will fire when I ground the tab at Q12 on the SDB (Stern SDU-100).

I've done some preliminary tests with Quench (but it turns out I was wasting a bunch of time because I don't know any better!)

I will be starting from here with the power ON:

Quoted from Quench:

R30 is directly across the base and emitter pins of the Q12 transistor. Note, this should have shown up as a bad reading when you were testing Q12.
Disconnect the J5 connector from the solenoid driver board so we don't lock any coils on during the following test.
Measure the voltage on the banded side of diode CR12 while you ground pin 10 (2nd top left pin) of U3. Then measure the voltage on the non-banded side of CR12 while grounding U3 pin 10. You should measure about 1.4 volts and then 2.1 volts respectively.

#2 3 years ago

If it fires when you ground the transistor, then you know the wiring from the SDB to the coil is good. Sounds like it is not getting the signal from the MPU, so I would start by rebuilding the MPU connector and related SDB connector as a starting point. Many problems can be resolved in these early Ballys by rebuilding the connectors/refreshing the solder on the header pins of the MPU.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

If it fires when you ground the transistor, then you know the wiring from the SDB to the coil is good. Sounds like it is not getting the signal from the MPU, so I would start by rebuilding the MPU connector and related SDB connector as a starting point. Many problems can be resolved in these early Ballys by rebuilding the connectors/refreshing the solder on the header pins of the MPU.

I have an issue with a digit out on all displays too, and reflowing solder to the pins on the MPU didnt help, so this may be in the books in the near future. For now, I'm going to follow Quench instructions for the pop bumper issue.

#4 3 years ago

Testing with the machine on, pin 10 grounded, DMM in DCV, J5 unplugged.

R29 top leg 5.17V
Bottom leg .78 V

CR12 non-banded side .796V
Banded side 18.4 mV

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Testing with the machine on, pin 10 grounded, DMM in DCV, J5 unplugged.

R29 top leg 5.17V
Bottom leg .78 V

CR12 non-banded side .796V
Banded side 18.4 mV

Cheers, these readings say you have a short circuit at the Q12 transistor - likely Q12 itself. Specifically between the transistors "Base" leg and the "Emitter" leg. This short is stopping the Q12 transistor from actually switching on.
--- Remove the ground jumper from pin 10 of U3. Now what voltage do you measure at the non-banded side of diode CR12? Should be around 0.3 volts.
--- Can you post the part number on the Q12 transistor, just in case it's the wrong part.
--- Post a picture of the back of the board around Q12 in case our eagle eyes spot an accidental solder short.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Cheers, these readings say you have a short circuit at the Q12 transistor - likely Q12 itself. Specifically between the "Base" leg and the "Emitter" leg. This short is stopping the Q12 transistor from actually switching on.
--- Remove the ground jumper from pin 10 of U3. Now what voltage do you measure at the non-banded side of diode CR12? Should be around 0.3 volts.
--- Can you post the part number on the Q12 transistor, just in case it's the wrong part.
--- Post a picture of the back of the board around Q12 in case our eagle eyes spot an accidental solder short.

I will do this later today. The transistor was replaced before me, probably in an attempt to fix this issue or the same issue in a day long gone. With my untrained eye, things looked clean on the back of the board and the solder job seemed acceptable. Hope it's something as simple as this!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The transistor was replaced before me

Did you use a TIP102 transistor or something else?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did you use a TIP102 transistor or something else?

I haven't changed it yet. I believe there was a TIP102 transistor installed but I can let you know when I take a look at the board.

#9 3 years ago

Voltage on the non-banded side of CR12 is .445V

20210212_164639 (resized).jpg20210212_164639 (resized).jpg20210212_164812 (resized).jpg20210212_164812 (resized).jpg20210212_164820 (resized).jpg20210212_164820 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

I have spare TIP102 transistors so I could change it to see if it works?

#11 3 years ago

I replaced the transistor and it works!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I replaced the transistor and it works!

Great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-viking-pop-bumper-solenoid-not-firing?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.