Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Edenecho
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190206_193520 (resized).jpg
20190206_193445 (resized).jpg
20190206_193802 (resized).jpg
20190206_193130 (resized).jpg
20190206_193113 (resized).jpg
20190206_193144 (resized).jpg
20190206_193147 (resized).jpg

#1 8 months ago

Hello!
I have a bally viking which when i got it had problems with making the full bonus collect saucer shot from the left flipper. It seems like the left flipper just dont have enough power to send the ball into the saucer so it kinda ends in the left bumper.

To try fix this, I rebuilt both flippers, and saw that the left flipper button cabinett switch was really worn, so i replaced it a new. But still the flipper dont manage to send the ball all the way up and over into the bonus collect saucer.

Do anyone have any ideas? I have attached photos of the eos switch and the cab switch gap, and also made a video of a couple attemps to show how it just fails to go around. Thanks!

Video:

20190206_193113 (resized).jpg20190206_193147 (resized).jpg20190206_193130 (resized).jpg20190206_193144 (resized).jpg20190206_193445 (resized).jpg20190206_193520 (resized).jpg20190206_193802 (resized).jpg

#2 8 months ago

O.K. You have to work out the angle of the top curve... to round the ball ends up hitting the top left thumper bumper...
You need a slight up angle on the top "horizontal line" of the metal wall guide...
In all, it is a "tough fiddle" you have to do to get the angle just right.
(it's all in that top right bind)
I had to go through the same thing with Bally Playboy... I ended up using a"T" nut and machine
screw hardware to "set" / "lock in" the angle...
I hope this info helps.
Good luck.

#3 8 months ago

You might check the set screws on the flipper shaft and make sure they are good and tight. Just a thought.

#4 8 months ago

Good suggestions above. I used to set my EOS's tight like that on my Ballys thinking that there'd be maximum coil strength through most of the flipper stroke, but recently found they work much better at the recommended 1/8" gap. Just a thought.

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Good suggestions above. I used to set my EOS's tight like that on my Ballys thinking that there'd be maximum coil strength through most of the flipper stroke, but recently found they work much better at the recommended 1/8" gap. Just a thought.

Should the gap start early or late in the movement?

#6 8 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Should the gap start early or late in the movement?

Late as possible, but 1/8" open at the end of the stroke. I've found it works best this way. Hold the plunger into the coil stop, and bend the EOS to 1/8" and you should be fine.

#7 8 months ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Late as possible, but 1/8" open at the end of the stroke. I've found it works best this way. Hold the plunger into the coil stop, and bend the EOS to 1/8" and you should be fine.

Thanks will try. Is it just to adjust all three leafs on the switch until one get right feel, or only the middle leaf for example?

#8 8 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Thanks will try. Is it just to adjust all three leafs on the switch until one get right feel, or only the middle leaf for example?

Yeah it could be any combination of leaves to adjust really, but whatever gives you complete switch contact at rest, and 1/8" at fully plunged into the coil is the desired result. Your stack looks really nice at rest so it probably is a matter of adjusting all three leaves together.

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. You have to work out the angle of the top curve... to round the ball ends up hitting the top left thumper bumper...
You need a slight up angle on the top "horizontal line" of the metal wall guide...
In all, it is a "tough fiddle" you have to do to get the angle just right.
(it's all in that top right bind)
I had to go through the same thing with Bally Playboy... I ended up using a"T" nut and machine
screw hardware to "set" / "lock in" the angle...
I hope this info helps.
Good luck.

How presicely did you use the t nut and machine screw to hold it in place?

#10 8 months ago

Also make sure to file your new cabinet switches and end of stroke switches. You don't have to go to town on them, just enough to clean the surfaces. Sometimes there's some residue left on the contacts and they won't work quite properly until they've been filed. It may not fix your problem here, but if it does it may save you a lot of hassle trying to track down the problem. I think the others have the right idea though, make sure to gap your EOS switches properly--that can make all the difference.

#11 8 months ago

The EOS should open at about 80% of stroke. Make sure it does not open too early. Also test the flipper stroke by pushing the plunger into the coil with your hand not by turning the flipper.

#12 8 months ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

How presicely did you use the t nut and machine screw to hold it in place?

Just like all "T" nuts ...
1) I drill a small hole through the playfield, where the angle bracket is at.
-- (#6 size... I like my holes to be as little has possible).
--( I thread the machine screw through the playfield, two or three times)
2) I take an awl and enlarge the hole from the bottom of the playfield...
--( use tape on a drill to mark the depth of the underside...
-- I just want the tube part of the "T" nut to go through the playfield )
-- when done you should have a small hole on the top playfield and a
-- larger hole on the bottom side of the playfield...
Note: some times you have to counter sink the whole "T" nut in order
to clear some obstructions and what knots.
3) Install "T" nut to bottom of playfield.
4) Install machine screw with an external lock washer through the top
-- of the playfield of the angle bracket that mounts the flat rail.
Use Williams F-14 Tom Cat as a guide... the top flat rail is mounted this way.
Note: use good quality machine screws the stuff they use now are crap and can bust.

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The EOS should open at about 80% of stroke. Make sure it does not open too early. Also test the flipper stroke by pushing the plunger into the coil with your hand not by turning the flipper.

I did some more testing and I cant really see that the EOS is problematic. Its not really getting significantly weaker og stronger.

I there something else I could try, like changing to a stronger coil, if not for anything else than testing?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lisle, IL
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside