Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi,

I have just finished renovating a Viking pin. Very nice sound of early 80 pinballs. Today, the usually steady displays are lightly shaking, all together.

Can someone help me to find the cause ?

Thanks a lot

#2 9 years ago

Do you have a volt meter?

Can you solder?

#3 9 years ago

yes to both questions

#4 9 years ago

Check for a good +5v and +185v at a display. Low 5v causes flicker (compare to mpu +5v). Unfiltered 185v causes flicker, check the C26 cap 160uF 400v cap on the driver board. When that cap makes the displays flicker, you can usually see the cap is leaking out of a vent hole.

In more rare cases you can have display interupt issues. Check the frequency of the display interupt. Should be near 320 times a second. Problems here is typically caused by corrosion. There is a 1k resistor (i think) and a 0.1uF polyester cap that gets wasted by corrosion. Use polyester cap here, Bally did for a reason, sometimes on a corrosion rebuild this part gets subbed for a ceramic cap which is incorrect.

#5 9 years ago

Thank you for your response. I will check on friday when I am back to "pinball work"

#6 9 years ago

i was away the past 2 days. Regarding the problem, I have a normal steady display for about 2 or 3 games, then it starts flickering. Is this in line with the above response ? I make the measurement today

#7 9 years ago

you can try pushing in all of the wires in the connectors at the displays. had it where the end wire caused is but as they are all doing it it's more likely a capacitor or earth issue.

#8 9 years ago

I have measured 135Vdc on TP2 Solenoid driver board, and 140Vdc on TP2 of the power transformer board. I do not have the expected 190Vdc.

The power supply board is new, does it come from there ? I have played many times without problem, now it seems to be low voltage.

What can be the cause ?

thank you

#9 9 years ago

yeah change the HV cap on the Sol. driver board

#10 9 years ago

thanks a lot to all of you

It was indeed the capacitor, not because of a leakage, but there was a dry solder on one end.

great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-viking-all-displays-are-%c2%b4shaking%c2%b4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.