(Topic ID: 239645)

Bally Vector V4 and Oliver V10 Rom which one?

By pintuck

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BY-35_After.jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hey Pinsiders.

I have an 82 Bally Vector and want experiment and update the game code to a or the later customised version.

From what I can see available, there is a 'V4' and a more recent 'Oliver V10' versions. I can only download V4, maybe its because V10 isn't confirmed to work properly etc don't know and hasn't put it out there, if anyone does know then please let us all know. Olivers Maac forum discussion communique is back from 2014.

I have a mate who has burnt the V4 rom image onto 2 x 2732 rom ICs for me.

If I modify the -35 Mpu board to take the 2 x 2732's as described in tech notes at dallasoverturf angelfire Bally -35Mpu, will the V4 image work on the pinball?
Has anybody tried and done this successfully?

Should I go for the V4 or Oliver V10?

With the Oliver V10, a newer expanded 27256 rom daughter board adaptor is discussed and described in his notes.
Maybe I need to PM Oliver himself, but has anybody visited this subject and can shed some light on this?

I like my Vector and want to push it a little.

Thanks all!

#2 5 years ago

You can get weebly's mpu board and have the files burned directly onto one chip, no need to fool around with the rom expanding daughter boards.

#3 5 years ago

There’s 2 versions on the alltek too.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

There’s 2 versions on the alltek too.

One is the factory version, the other is Olivers V4.

Oliver has a V5 patch available on his web site.

Quoted from pintuck:

Should I go for the V4 or Oliver V10?

There's not a whole lot extra in V10. Try V4 or V5 with the 2732 EPROMs and if you like it then consider V10. As slochar mentioned, weeblys (https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html) MPU board has a built in expanded ROM socket so directly supports larger EPROMs.

Below are the jumper settings for two 2732 EPROM chips on the Bally-35 board. Make sure you remove any 2532/9332 ROM jumpers that conflict.

BY-35_After.jpgBY-35_After.jpg

#5 5 years ago

With Vector's long speech phrases, the game's CPU needs a wait acknowledgement line added;
in order to keep the game from cutting out the prier calls.
I think more wait routines are needed in the code and a priority flag list.
On Data East games the sound calls have a bunch of parameters that tell the CPU
how to handle the call outs. If you know 6800 machine code you can go at it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-v4-and-oliver-v10-rom-which-one?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.