Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by patjepc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My Vector Bally pinball starts up fine; starting a new game is ok but all of a sudden the machine stops counting scores ; any switch doesn't make points ...even when the ball gets in the outhole I get no second ball . The only thing I can do is switch off the machine and restart again. Sometimes I can play until ball 3 but unexepectly the machines stops again . I checked all switches, solenoids, power supply ; new Eproms ....nothing helps

Kind regards

Patrick

Post edited by absocountry2 : title spelling fixed

#2 11 years ago

Have the connectors been rebuilt for the switch matrix on the MPU board?

1 week later
#3 11 years ago

I found out that just 1 switch (rollover button for bonus ) locks up the game.Eventhough all switches work perfect in diagnostic . I already removed and rewired J2 for the switches.
Another issue now is that the start of a game is different now . The drop targets are activated
while they shoud not. I don't get a ball when starting (eventhough while there are 3 balls down )
Before it worked well ;I don't understand ...Is it due to the program ?

I put in another Bally MPU that works fine on my workbench (7 flashes ) but does strange things
in the machine . What else is there to check ? I already changes PIO , memory 5101

#4 11 years ago

I would check the 2 connectors on the right side of the mpu check for cracked solders and might be a good idea to change the female connectors as well the weight of the wires hanging tends to loosen up the terminals and crack the solder joints,
If this dont solve or explain your problem next start by checking the associated PIA for the switch matrix and the IC socket its not uncommon to have sloppy or corroded clips in the socket.
if the 5101 was bad the board would not boot at all but still a good idea to pry of the black plastic body if you have the RN sockets and examine the pins if youre careful you can take it off without bending the terminals and snap the plastic body back on.
Also check IC legs for corrosion check all sockets roms, processor and pias basicly everything socketed

#5 11 years ago

Hey,

I'll think I will start with replacing the IC sockets (U10/U11) as when I test with another mpu I get other issues. Then my "not working " rollover button contact does not stop the program. But I get other strange things such as the lights of the playfield behave like the machine is just powered on and now game is started yet . I don't think the female connectors are bad because when the game is on and I tried to wiggle the connectors ; nothing others happens

#6 11 years ago

it could be a little bit of everything real when i rebuild the mpu boards i change all the connectors on the board, do cap conversions repair acid damage if an issue and typicly ic sockets are pretty good but i pull the plastic bodies of any sign of wear or corrosion i just change the socket without question
upgrade the power section and change out some of the other caps.

#7 11 years ago

I'd suggest the MPU is crashing. replace the 5101P Memory chip and maybe the PIA.

#8 11 years ago

I think I will start to order new connectors and pins and replace everything on MPU and Lamp driver board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-strange-pronlem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.