(Topic ID: 228731)

Bally Vector Solenoid expander relay issue

By MikeS

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Upon powering up the game, my Bally Vector Solenoid relay starts clicking and the light flashes. It stops when you hit the start button but during game play many of the insert lights don't work. The game plays fine and all solenoids work as they should. Seems to just be the insert lighting that's affected. Any advice on how to troubleshoot? I looked under the playfield and tried to see if anything was shorting anything but couldn't find anything. Thanks! Here's a video of what it's doing upon power-up.

#2 5 years ago

The Sol. Ex. only relation to the feature lighting is that it is engaged by a lamp driver from the Aux. L.D.B. If it's clicking on power up, the game is trying to reset or drop targets to prepare for a new game.

If you open the coin door and press the little red button once, all feature lamps should blink, and the expander should click in unison and it's light should also blink.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

The Sol. Ex. only relation to the feature lighting is that it is engaged by a lamp driver from the Aux. L.D.B. If it's clicking on power up, the game is trying to reset or drop targets to prepare for a new game.
If you open the coin door and press the little red button once, all feature lamps should blink, and the expander should click in unison and it's light should also blink.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I just got the game and haven't yet got all the issues worked out. It does sometimes drop some of the X,Y, or Z drop targets when it serves up the ball which is odd. Playfield insert lights were working until the solenoid driver relay issue started. Could just be a coincidence as it doesn't make sense that they would be related like you said.

#4 5 years ago

I got the problem figured out. It was all due to the connectors on the lamp board. I reseated them and got the rest of my missing insert lights back. And also the solenoid expander clicking issue went away. Must have something to due with how the expander board is driven off the lamp board? I'll have to reflow all the pins on the lamp and re-do the connectors as they seem flaky as they are.

My only remaining issue now is that the game will usually auto-drop one of the X,Y,Z drop targets whenever a ball is kicked into the shooter lane. My guess is that if i take care of my connectors on the lamp and MPU board that hopefully that will go away as well. thanks for your help!

#5 5 years ago

Check your solenoid coil diagrams and make sure if any have two diodes drawn in that the coil actually has two diodes installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-solenoid-expander-relay-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.