You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180501_141141 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180501_141056 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

I am currently working on a vector pinball, and I've run into a roadblock with the audio and the upper playfield GI lights.

The squawk & talk works properly and we are getting all of the test flashes as we should. However, we do not get any of the background "droning" noise that plays during the game. We changed the settings under #18 to 03 and now we get crowd cheering sounds, as well as the score counting audio, but still no background noise.

As for the upper GI lights, we cannot seem to trace where the problem is. We recently just replaced the rectifier board and we've converted most of the lights to LED to hopefully reduce strain. The lower GI lights work fine, as well as the upper ramp tracer lights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

meteorwave Vector

#2 5 years ago

The lights are controlled by an auxillary lamp flasher board controlling a triac bolted to the power supply in the cabinet. Many times the problem is the dummy 555 bulb wired under the playfield that activates the flasher board. Start by looking for those dummy lamps, there are 3 of them, and make sure they all work and have not been replaced by LEDs.
If those work, look at the triac wiring on the power supply. you could have a loose connector or bad triac.

As for the sound, you have the right setting on #18. Some times it's just a dirty sound pot on the S&T board that you can fix by turing it back and forth a few times.

1 week later
#3 5 years ago

Hi @BigAl56

Sorry for my late reply, I work over the weekend and devote monday/Tuesday to my pinball hobby. Ironically it was you who I wanted to talk to in the first place after seeing your Vector video on YouTube with TNT amusements, so that's awesome!

As far as the GI lights go, I checked all of those dummy lights as you indicated. There are two auxillary boards that have accompanying dummy lights that do not work. We tried changing out the bulbs to no avail.

Does that mean the entrire socket needs to be replaced? I've included two pictures of the boards in question. One is in the backbox, the other underneath the platfield.

As far as the sound goes, I don't think that it could be a dirty sound pot, as we tried dialing them back and forth. We were able to remove all of the distortion, but somehow we're still missing the background droning noise, (the wah wah wah that plays whenever there are no other sounds).

Thanks again!

IMG_20180501_141056 (resized).jpgIMG_20180501_141056 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180501_141141 (resized).jpgIMG_20180501_141141 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

wrong one, the board bolted to the left side inter cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-need-help-with-background-audio-upper-playfield-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.