(Topic ID: 122793)

Bally Vector. Last issue driving me batty!

By westniall

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by s1500
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

381598.jpg
vector.jpg
2015-03-23 21.22.25.jpg
2015-03-23 21.22.38.jpg
2015-03-23 21.22.16.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I found Bally Vector for a good price and have been repairing it.
I have solved most of the issues except 1 strange issue.

When you knock down the upper targets (X-Y-Z) it is suppose to drop down a defender in the first bank. There is a click (expander board) but nothing happens.

Self test shows all solenoids working.

It does work if you knock down the first row of defenders and then X-Y-Z a defender in the second row falls down.

Digging around I found a disconnected wire that was taped up. I hope it is that wire.

It is a double grey / white wire (46 volts)that is close to the upper defenders.

Pictures added. If anyone has a Vector or knows where this wire goes I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks!

2015-03-23 21.22.16.jpg2015-03-23 21.22.16.jpg 2015-03-23 21.22.25.jpg2015-03-23 21.22.25.jpg 2015-03-23 21.22.38.jpg2015-03-23 21.22.38.jpg
#2 9 years ago

The schematic shows the gray with white stripe going to the 3-drop target (left) and the outhole kicker.

Bally has crazy color codes, so gray is 9 and white is 5, so the wire is marked 95......

vector.jpgvector.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Ahhhhh Colour Codes! It's like you have given me the Rosetta Stone (the real one) It is starting to make sense.

With that, it looks like that red wire is a bodge job.

#4 9 years ago

1-red
2-blue
3-yellow
4-green
5-white
6-brown
7-orange
8-black
9-gray
0-no trace

#5 9 years ago

Follow up.
Thanks for all the help vid1900, I was able to figure out.

Once I corrected the wires and removed the bodge job, I was able to figure out why the old owners did this.

The Outhole kicker and the droptarget are using the same solenoid expander. Checked this and did more research (http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#expand)

Every time the Outhole activated the droptarget would go down. This screwed up the multiball (because the system did not register the downed target)

Checked each component and found they had replaced the outhole kicker with the wrong solenoid! It had a single diode (AO-27-1300). What was needed was a dual diode solenoid (AT-27-1300)

I wired a new diode in place (to stop the powering going back the to the droptarget) and everything started working correctly.

Thanks again..

"HIT THE SHOWERS"

381598.jpg381598.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Nice troubleshooting!

#7 9 years ago

I really need to write down those color codes.

#8 9 years ago

Nicely done, I wish one day I'll have your troubleshooting skills. And I hope with "hit the showers' you mean 'quaffing down a beer in a celebratory manner'

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I really need to write down those color codes.

It's so dumb that Bally did not use the standard color codes.........

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's so dumb that Bally did not use the standard color codes.........

Even with all the possible combinations of 2 colors on wires, are multiple wires that to different things, but with the same color combo?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-last-issue-driving-me-batty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.